Smoking before a Parkrun

Is it part of your warm up?

1 to 20 of 44 messages
03/12/2012 at 17:34

Honset to God I saw a “runner” having a fag whilst strecthing before my local Parkrun last week. I know it is cold at the moment, but I can think of better things to warm my lungs up before a Parkrun rather than a cigarette? A hot drink usually does the trick!

seren nos    pirate
03/12/2012 at 17:35

we all have our vices.....some people have more than one..........wouldn't be my personal choice

03/12/2012 at 17:45

Funnily enough I saw a group of blokes having a fag before they ran a half marathon recently !!!

03/12/2012 at 17:51

You must be joking!! I have to admit that it is not part of my warm up!! But then again  I doubt that it is part of many peoples warm up. But if it works for them (which I very much doubt it doesn't!) then you can't knock them for that.

cougie    pirate
03/12/2012 at 17:52

You can still be a runner and smoke. Maybe not the best idea - but there's certain people on here who have done amazing races - and had the odd fag during them too. 

03/12/2012 at 21:30

A smoker who runs is probably fitter than a smoker who doesn't run.  Smoking's not very good for you but it's not exactly paedophilia.

Edited: 03/12/2012 at 21:31
03/12/2012 at 21:42

i once smoked three roll-ups during an ultra.

03/12/2012 at 22:03

Maybe the had Methamphetamine in their fag?

03/12/2012 at 22:17

After I had finished the GNR in 2005 I saw I woman go to the baggage reclaim area, get her bag out, got her fags out and lit one up.

03/12/2012 at 23:04
PhilPub wrote (see)

A smoker who runs is probably fitter than a smoker who doesn't run.  Smoking's not very good for you but it's not exactly paedophilia.

I'd rather sweat like a runner than a paedo!

Rickster - she must have had a bad run to reach for the fags first & not a beer!

03/12/2012 at 23:53
PhilPub wrote (see)

Both of these activities will see the perpetrator get locked up if someone sees them doing it in a public building.

03/12/2012 at 23:56

Smoking is the devil's activity. It kills. Which part of that statement don't smokers understand?

04/12/2012 at 00:06

I bet theres a lot of runners who smoke and hide it from fellow runners as its not exactly the right image for the sport,i should know as i still smoked when i started running 3 years ago,gave up within 6 months but can vividly remember finishing my first parkrun at Edinburgh(22.39) and getting back to the car and lighting a fag up straightaway.Shocking but true,best thing i ever did was give it up

04/12/2012 at 03:46
Rickster wrote (see)

Smoking is the devil's activity. It kills. Which part of that statement don't smokers understand?

rickster you crack me up man

PSC    pirate
04/12/2012 at 07:07

if you want a real giggle, go to the pub before the start of the Dartmore 30 miler... half of the local runners are standing around in running kit puffing away.  And most of them finish close to the pointy end of the field too....

We all pick our own vices and should avoid being so judgmental of others.. We once (GB) had a lady track and field runner who regularly had a fag at the end of her race (??400m)  - she used to sit on her clothes box on the track and light up!  I am sure someone can remember who I am talking about.

04/12/2012 at 08:20

I smoked for the best part of 18 years and in that time managed a 3.15 marathon and sub 20 parkrun, Sure someone will say "what time would you have got if you didn't smoke", maybe i wouldn't have run...who knows.....i'd smoke before and i'd smoke after, not big or clever just something i did. Gave up three years ago and wouldn't go back now. Loads of footage of sports stars of the 60's, 70's and 80's smoking, same as drinking, woudn't happen now but some may say the cocktail of chemicals that sportstars take now may be just as bad in the future.

seren nos    pirate
04/12/2012 at 08:25

If the proffessional came up and said running kills do you think every runner in the country would stop tomorrow............

I would think some would and some would think that life without running for them wasn't worth living and so continue............

04/12/2012 at 08:41

Seren, what's with the pro smoking argument...anything you'd like to admit?

Rickster wrote (see)

Smoker's are a special bunch, buying a pack of fags that has "smoking kills" and usually some horrendous photo of internal organs destroyed, yet still carrying on.

Incredible.

04/12/2012 at 08:43

Sadly all my non triathlon pb's date from my smoking days...

For my first FLM my office joked I would be carrying 5 gels and 5 hamlet !

04/12/2012 at 08:45

Stevie, don't forget all that "smoking kills" and pictures on the packet stuff only came about in the last 10 odd year, It was still advertised on Formula 1 cars and things like the Benson and Hedges cup in cricket in the 90's. 

Everyone remembers the Hamlet cigar adverts.....not sure i would have started smoking in todays enviroment. different attitudes.

1 to 20 of 44 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.