So how many hundreds of millions

were spent on the olympics that could have gone on developing this country into a better nation?

21 to 31 of 31 messages
13/08/2012 at 22:07

I got my money's worth when they showed the empty square underneath the Eiffel Tower in 2005. The bonkers opening ceremony and two weeks of high drama, top class sport and lots of fantastic vibes were just a bonus.

£9bn gets wasted most weeks on some nonsense that just annoys me (HS2 to name but three). The Olympics rarely annoyed me (not at all since it opened) and it was at least as efficient at generating jobs as any government run scheme I've ever seen.

Edited: 13/08/2012 at 22:08
13/08/2012 at 23:33

It's not about the money, money, money, forget about the price tag

13/08/2012 at 23:39

Doesn't take mney to change a nation, takes a person and an attitude. See Mandela, Gandhi, JC for example. Live and let live. We can all pillory expenditure in the name of what could have been done different and/or better. Good vfm if the peace wall woprked for a fortnight and we changed the mind of just one individual to get up off their couch and change the world. Many hundreds of years ago a certain cleric suggested if we want to change the world we haave to start with no.1 not gripe about everybody/everything else. The joy of the armchair sniper

14/08/2012 at 00:20
Cost ??11bn? Is that the true cost? Surely they recouped some on ticket sales. I bet a few tourists went on the busses, taxis and trains and hence paid quite a bit in fuel tax, spent some money in hotels, restraunts and bars.

There will be a few people out buying carbon fibre bikes and off down the local pool for a swim.

Then we have some nice facilities like the stadium and the velodrome. Even if the stadium is sold for a minimum value the new owners will still have big maintenance bills.

But no Andrew you're right the owner of the Daily Mail is French for tax purposes. Stop reading his paper and write to him to complain... Please.
14/08/2012 at 00:33

"Our lives shall not be sweated from birth until life closes.
Hearts starve as well as bodies: Give us Bread, but give us Roses"

14/08/2012 at 07:04

Andrew, emigrate, that'll improve the nation.

14/08/2012 at 08:04

Glad you're enjoying life so much Andrew

14/08/2012 at 08:45
Tom. wrote (see)
Andrew. I may be a shallow, selfish, narrow minded bunch with a lack of foresight and social conscience, but at least I'm not a........miserable twat! 

Tom, I hope you don't mind me correcting your typo above !

kittenkat wrote (see)

I think we could have saved a bit by not wheeling out ancient pop stars.

I the Olympics, always have done.

KK, in fact with a bit of blue sky thinking we could have improved the whole experience by taking a number of our 'celebrity' stars and incorporating them in to the 'double trap shooting' event.

14/08/2012 at 09:22

Ref Bruce C's comment above -   may I be amongst the first to say;

"PULL !!"

14/08/2012 at 11:21

Eh lay off the Who, perhaps Spice Girls or Take That though

14/08/2012 at 13:34

It was worth every single penny. The Olympic Games broguht tourist money in to the UK economy, it gaves us all somethiong to be happy about, it got people interested in sport and showed that Premiership football is nothiong when compared to real sport, it got people interested in sport, and most of all it brought us all together as a nation.

The Olympic venues could continue to be used for sports and I'm sure that companies will hire out the Olympic stadium for corporate events, rock concert and a whole host of other events.

The real legacy would be if everyone stopped moaning about the financial cost and for them to still be talking about what an excellent event it was in four years time...

...but I suppose that some people in this country have to moan about something...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 31 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.