So we're killing ourselves, the BBC chirped out cheerily at me today

Ok, maybe they didn't chirp and weren't cheery.

21 to 32 of 32 messages
05/03/2013 at 14:08
PhilPub wrote (see)
http://www.oocities.org/gwaddingham/catchphrase.jpg

"It's good, but it's not right!"

This has got to be a Photoshop mock-up, hasn't it?

05/03/2013 at 15:19
M..o.use wrote (see)

Screamy - Adam Smith?

Yes I think you may well be right Mouse 

05/03/2013 at 15:24

05/03/2013 at 16:11
kittenkat wrote (see)

We know this, smoking, obesity, alcohol, lack of activity.

My simple (or not so simple question to you) is:

Why do we do it? (the very generic 'we')

smoking and drinking - recklessness/carelessness/lack of education

obesity - stupidity/greed/lack of education

lack of activity - laziness/lack of education

Edited: 05/03/2013 at 16:12
05/03/2013 at 16:20
the dude abides wrote (see)

giving up smoking is easy

For some, yes. For others it is a nightmare.

05/03/2013 at 16:24

i actually think it is easy too, but you have to be in the right frame of mind, you have to WANT to quit, i tried and failed loads of times with half arsed attempts, then one day i meant it and was shocked at how easy it was if you actually stick to it, that was 8 years ago and ive never had a single one since.

05/03/2013 at 16:37

BBC news has that story about how we are killing ourselves with alcohol, right next to the story about how the drunk response team in Cardiff are slapping "How Did You Get Home Last Night?" wristbands on the people they help

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-21660119 

05/03/2013 at 16:40
xine267 wrote (see)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-21660119 

I could've done with one of those in Sunderland last week, the night after the National Cross Country championships, cos I haven't got a bloody clue.  Travelodge must've fitted some sort of homing device. 

05/03/2013 at 16:45

I wake up with one of those on my wrist after I've drunk no alcohol at all. It's called getting older...

05/03/2013 at 16:45

no i don't think so Peter. smokers find it difficult to give up because everyone keeps telling them how difficult it is to give up. so if they fail that's ok...because it's REALLY hard.

but it isn't. it's easy.

05/03/2013 at 18:34
ghost of kittenkat wrote (see)

Since when did a hand job kill anyone?

I'm sure the London Underground has a few examples.

Shocking!

05/03/2013 at 23:20
Marc.S wrote (see)

i actually think it is easy too, but you have to be in the right frame of mind, you have to WANT to quit, i tried and failed loads of times with half arsed attempts, then one day i meant it and was shocked at how easy it was if you actually stick to it, that was 8 years ago and ive never had a single one since.

Not sure how to interpret that.  I think it MIGHT be true to say that it's relatively easy if you're in the right frame of mind...  but maybe that's the rub.... Maybe the addiction is more psychological than physiological.

So there's a fair chance that you quitting was a long process for you. And if, eight years ago, you'd tried quitting - without first having gone through all the half-arsed, failed attempts beforehand.... perhaps you wouldn't have succeeded.  Perhaps all the failed attempts are essential in gradually overcoming the phychological addiction....  so yes, quitting might be easy when you're in the right frame of mind... but it seems very likely that most people can't easily get into that right frame of mind.

Once you get there, perhaps the physiological addiction can be overcome relatively easily, by most people.

Edited: 05/03/2013 at 23:20

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 32 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.