So we're killing ourselves, the BBC chirped out cheerily at me today

Ok, maybe they didn't chirp and weren't cheery.

1 to 20 of 32 messages
cougie    pirate
05/03/2013 at 10:19
Is this not a good thing ? Otherwise how do we look after an ever ageing population ? We will have a massive problem if we all look after ourselves and live til we are 120 ??
05/03/2013 at 10:29

The fact is tobacco, alcohol, heroin etc all come from natural substances - it was obviously Gods Will that we had things like smoking, alcoholism and drug addiction, plus aids etc so we has a species are not supposed to live until we reach our 70s, (and that is why I am destined to be the next Pope!!)  

05/03/2013 at 11:18

i don't think we do. on the whole we are healthier, smoke less drink less exercise more.

there are many people who fit your description but that's ok.

i do not believe these stats.

05/03/2013 at 11:34
Grendel3 wrote (see)

it was obviously Gods Will that we had things like smoking, alcoholism and drug addiction,   

Do yu have little voices in your head telling you what to do ??

05/03/2013 at 11:38

Why do we do.....

Smoking - because it looks cool and gives you a nice little headrush (until you do it too much and don't get the rush any more).
Obesity - because cake is delicious, as is fatty pork, bacon sandwiches, huge steaks, chips, mmmmm.
Alcohol - because getting just a little bit drunk is awesome and makes everything else better - food, sex, smoking, talking, listening to music.
Lack of activity - because once you've spent long enough doing the first three you can't really do much anyway.

The reason I've cut back or cut out all of the above is because too much of a good thing takes away from how good it is. Now when I have a drink, I appreciate it so much more, and a big fatty takeaway, now it's so rare, is much more enjoyable.

05/03/2013 at 11:39
Rob Walker 12 wrote (see)

Why do we do.....

Smoking - because it looks cool and gives you a nice little headrush (until you do it too much and don't get the rush any more).
Obesity - because cake is delicious, as is fatty pork, bacon sandwiches, huge steaks, chips, mmmmm.
Alcohol - because getting just a little bit drunk is awesome and makes everything else better - food, sex, smoking, talking, listening to music.
Lack of activity - because once you've spent long enough doing the first three you can't really do much anyway.

The reason I've cut back or cut out all of the above is because too much of a good thing takes away from how good it is. Now when I have a drink, I appreciate it so much more, and a big fatty takeaway, now it's so rare, is much more enjoyable.

it's a good answer but it's not right.

05/03/2013 at 11:40

oops i thought that said Roy walker

Tommygun2    pirate
05/03/2013 at 11:44

I think the govenment and health agencies find themsevles in some what of a paradox.

If evry one gave up smoking and drinking it would actually bring the country to its knees. Firtsly the tax take is so massive on these products that there would be a giant whole in the finances and secondly al the money they may save from treating associated illnesses would be wiped out by the fact that millions more peole would live to 100, with all the associated costs of that.

So what do they do, they must know that spouting all the proagander about health isn't realy going to make much difference. Or they would be risking a huge dilema in a few years time.

05/03/2013 at 11:48

Just started reading the BBC article in question...

"Although average life expectancy has risen by four years since 1990..."

So actually we're getting healthier but just not as quickly as the rest of Europe. No fattie-bashing story here, move on.   *drinks beer...*

Edited: 05/03/2013 at 11:49
05/03/2013 at 11:55

You're right, it is a paradox.

I can't remember the name of the economic theorist (perhaps someone can remind me) but he linked the health of nations to their prosperity.

Governments are caught between trying to fulfill this aim while knowing that, in practice, it isn't sustainable for everyone to be fit, healthy, abstinent and live till they are 150.

05/03/2013 at 12:16

i say its survival of the fittest!

the fattie, smokers and alcoholics all know that they are doing something to excess.

let them all die and what are you left with? (sometimes, this is wrong as the other week there was a 10 a day smoker and also a drinker who lived to 100)

05/03/2013 at 12:25

Part of the truth is that tobacco is very very addictive, and alcohol quite addictive - which makes giving up the former extremely difficult, and the latter fairly hard. Both, of course, are marketed to young people as 'cool'. 

05/03/2013 at 12:48
cougie wrote (see)
Is this not a good thing ? Otherwise how do we look after an ever ageing population ? We will have a massive problem if we all look after ourselves and live til we are 120 ??

05/03/2013 at 12:55
the dude abides wrote (see)

oops i thought that said Roy walker

05/03/2013 at 13:12

giving up smoking is easy

05/03/2013 at 13:14
the dude abides wrote (see)

giving up smoking is easy

Not starting is easier though....

05/03/2013 at 13:19

Screamy - Adam Smith?

05/03/2013 at 13:20

If you saw Roy Walker, you should probably say it.

For a wise man once said;

"Say what you see, if you see it, say it"

05/03/2013 at 13:24

http://www.oocities.org/gwaddingham/catchphrase.jpg

"It's good, but it's not right!"

05/03/2013 at 13:59

That reminds me....missus and kid are out for a while later

1 to 20 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.