So what did happen to Tommy the Clown...?

21 to 37 of 37 messages
19/03/2013 at 12:18

Having read that thread I'm actually impressed with his 2009 result. One hour and four minutes to complete the final 2.2km. That must be a record!

19/03/2013 at 12:21
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

I dont really get why you guys are so concerned he didnt run a full marathon, yet totally oblivious to the fact that if he cheated at that, and was 'collecting money for charity' .... what else was he cheating at???

My concern would be far more about where all that money went and that none of it was 'syphoned off' than the fact he cut a few corners in a marathon.

People were also concerned about that, you just didn't read the whole thread.

19/03/2013 at 15:45

I saw him at GNR last year.

seren nos    pirate
19/03/2013 at 16:01

Dave..............

he was getting money for false pretences....lying, cheating  and being decietful.therefore why would you trust him with your money

19/03/2013 at 16:05
He's from greenock I think and does a lot of local races in the west of scotland, seen him at the Polaroid series and the Kirkintilloch 10k last year, he was handing out lollipops to the kids.
Don't see any harm in him not completing the races as long as the cash in his bucket is going to charity.
seren nos    pirate
19/03/2013 at 16:13

no problem in not completing them..if he drops out and DNF's................but to cheat and pretend and then go through the finish to get his medal etc....just shows that he is dishonest and cheats...........

if he is honest why not just drop out when he has had enough

19/03/2013 at 16:18
bigeater wrote (see)

Don't see any harm in him not completing the races as long as the cash in his bucket is going to charity.

This goes back to the moral argument of the original thread which was basically is it ok to cheat or is it only ok to cheat if it's "for charity"?

But anyway, read the original thread. It was an interesting debate. 

19/03/2013 at 16:21
Fair point, not sure whether he collects the medal or not, my main issue though is whether the charity see,s the cash!
19/03/2013 at 18:35
Maybe he gave 10% to the charity and then treated himself to a massage, a VIP tent with a buffet and a hotel and some new kit. That would be alright wouldn't it?
19/03/2013 at 18:47
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

I never give money to people with buckets ...... how can you be sure that some of it doesnt find its way into a personal beer kitty.

I wouldn't exactly call me personal.

19/03/2013 at 19:28

An infamous cheating incident from the 1999 comrades marathon, relevant bits from the Joburg times newspaper report:-

An athelete who admitted cheating by running South Africa's Comrades Marathon, one of the world's most grueling road races, in relay with his look a like brother, was disqualified. One brother ran the first half then the other brother completed the second half, changing in a roadside toilet.

The brothers' plan was only foiled because photographs of the race published in Beeld, Johannesburg's daily newspaper, showed runner number 13018 at one stage wearing a yellow watch on his left wrist. At another stage the runner with that number was wearing a pink watch on his right wrist.

19/03/2013 at 19:56
Are you sure you're not getting confused with a RastaMouse episode?
19/03/2013 at 21:02

The thing is VLM shouldnt allow buckets and fundraising at the marathon at all (Im being serious) ...... it allows too many opportunities for shysters to make a mint ...... better and easier to have a blanket ban on collecting unless they do something in an official capacity (like say at the drinks stations they have collection tins or something, but something that is easily monitored) ..... but to have random people showing up shaking a tin, should be breaking the rules and  a reason to kick you out of the marathon.

19/03/2013 at 21:10
I say we should pie him.

Then stand on his big feet.
20/03/2013 at 03:49

I saw him at the Bute Highland Games in the summer. just doing the 10k run, not tossing the caber

20/03/2013 at 08:15
Johnny Blaze wrote (see)
I say we should pie him.

Then stand on his big feet.

Actually one of the best things about that old thread was the suggested punishments. 

I still think the Forum should turn up en masse at one of his races, give him a damned good pieing and then stick a hosepipe down his trousers 

20/03/2013 at 10:14
Indeed. I read the old thread last night and Mr Chloella was perturbed by my hysterical laughter. An intertubes classic.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 37 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.