So when does bravery become stupidity?

19 messages
21/01/2013 at 20:20

Bravery engages the 'caring' emotions.

Stupidity, well that defines itself really! 

21/01/2013 at 20:25

ive been rugby tackling sharks since I was a bairn.

seren nos    pirate
21/01/2013 at 20:26

not sure of the difference....but as he's from merthyr then it has to be stupidity on this occasion

21/01/2013 at 22:28
Very simple answer, the deed is brave until it goes wrong, then it's stupid
21/01/2013 at 22:53

He saved some lives. That's the main thing.

22/01/2013 at 07:25

@Rickster - exactly.

In my mind, it was an act of courage.

22/01/2013 at 08:08

"Brave" people are often acting on instinct. They don't even consider they are being brave at the time.

22/01/2013 at 14:33
Could have been that the shark wouldn't have done any harm if left alone ( they live on fish not toddlers) What were the stupid humans doing in their territory anyway? I hope the shark wasn't hurt. They are rare and beautiful creatures.
22/01/2013 at 14:48

Sharks don't live off fish alone.  You should find an Attenborough documentary or two to watch.

While I agree with your "When in Rome and all that" sentiment, would you prefer that no one had stepped in?  What if a toddler had been eaten?

22/01/2013 at 14:55
Sharks live in the sea, they were encroaching...... You wouldn't walk into a lions cage at the zoo, or wander onto an ice flow in front of a polar bear would you....
22/01/2013 at 14:59
At least some of his motivation was also to rescue the shark as it was stuck in the shallows. So brave certainly, a little foolhardy for sure.
22/01/2013 at 15:00
I wonder how many toddlers each year get killed by sharks? How many are killed by that particular shark? I'm going to try to find out
22/01/2013 at 15:03
One death in the past 3 years. What does that put them on par with danger wise? An eraser?
22/01/2013 at 15:41

So should the bloke have left the shark alone and gambled on that figure not rising to two, or did he do the right thing?  Would you consider the toddler losing a limb as acceptable rather than the shark having its tail grabbed by a bather from Merthyr?

I wouldn't, and I've always made it clear that if I were to be eaten by a lion in the Mara, attacked by a bear in Yosemite, that no action should be taken against the animal that was in its own habitat.  However, I'd much prefer to fight back, rather than go gently.

22/01/2013 at 15:53
What is different to the lion in the Mara or your bear example ?

Sharks live in the sea ...... The people were in the sharks habitat, so why is that different to your example ?
22/01/2013 at 15:57

He did two things IMO, helped to ensure that no one got hurt (children, adults or the shark itself) and helped the shark get back to deeper water, which is their main habitat. They dont 'live' in 2 feet of water.

At least he didnt have the usual human reaction of panic, then try and kill the shark instead of helping it!

Good for him, shame more peole dont at least TRY to help instead of complaining and blaming others when nothing is done and a tragedy happens.

22/01/2013 at 16:02

@Dave - nothing's different but that doesn't change the simple fact that by-standers should have done something to intervene to protect the toddlers.  All land-based creatures venture in to some other species' territory at some point, so does that mean that they should all just give up?  What about wilderbeest crossing a river - should a mother be protecting her her young from crocodiles?

All creatures protect their own, regardless of whose territory they're in.  This example with Merthyrman and the shark isn't another example of Man stamping all over Mother Nature, but one of a creature defending its kind.

22/01/2013 at 16:03
CheesyRider wrote (see)

Good for him, shame more peole dont at least TRY to help instead of complaining and blaming others when nothing is done and a tragedy happens.

Exactly.

22/01/2013 at 18:09

Knowing me, I'd have panicked and run around stupidly waving my arms whilst stuttering an audible warning. The result being that no-one would know what I was panicking about until too late. So, glasses raised to this man from Methyr - he did a good deed, kept a cool head and kight have saved the lives of both children and shark.

And how proud do his wife and daughter look in that photo?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
19 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.