Social media - good thing or bad thing?

21 to 27 of 27 messages
15/11/2012 at 21:19

The rule is simple, if you are going to say something about someone, you have to think "would I be prepared to say this face to face?" if the answer is no, then don't say it, twitter it or post it. If it is yes, then do it face to face, don't hide

Also I agree with earlier posts, people who feel insulted by Twitter etc need to grow up a little

16/11/2012 at 08:31
the dude abides wrote (see)

I'm a big fan of Twitter. Considering the sheer volume of traffic, the relatively low percentage of offensive posting (they get disproportionate coverage) is actually a positive reflection on society, I feel.

but a conversation with my nephew did open my eyes a bit to the challenges it can pose kids.

He is a wee bit awkward, and prone to being bullied. In years gone by that may have stopped at the school gates but now the pressure to impress/fit in is a 24 hour job.

Don't log on, you might say.

He doesn't. But that makes it even harder for him because it places him even further on the periphery...the 'other'.

I respect him because he just does his own thing anyway, tries not to let it get to him, but social media can make life hard for kids.

Exactly my point Dude - as adults most of us are equipped to deal with it (although I don't think anyone should have to suffer the sort of abuse that someone like Lorraine Pascale is currently getting) . Kids are different. 

16/11/2012 at 10:32
Wilkie wrote (see)

I do think that people are too quick to spread "news" on twitter, as some folk who will be hearing from Lord McAlpine's lawyers are going to find out.

People do love to be the first one breaking the news!

On the other hand, in some situations the "real" story (or at least another side of the story) comes out via Twitter when the official news may be very limited - I'm thinking of the tweets from ordinary people during the riots in Egypt.

EKGO wrote (see)

The rule is simple, if you are going to say something about someone, you have to think "would I be prepared to say this face to face?" if the answer is no, then don't say it, twitter it or post it. If it is yes, then do it face to face, don't hide

Also I agree with earlier posts, people who feel insulted by Twitter etc need to grow up a little

Agree with that! Actually people should think "if this tweet gets picked up by the media, would I be happy to have my name publically associated with it"

16/11/2012 at 17:14

Something I don't think has been mentioned is the aspect of anonymity social-media offers, its not enough to follow EKGO rule as some users will attack and victimise without revealiing themself.

I'm not a big social-media user but do feel in large it is an excellent innovation, which is becoming more and more emeshed in our lives.

17/11/2012 at 16:04

Jwheezy - You're right of course, some people will hide, but as long as enough people do the right thing, then the right thing will prevail. You can't legislate for abusers but doing the right thing is still preferable.

In theory assume that I as an ethical person am in competition with you are unethical and will resort to anything, then realistically it is difficult for me to win on a level playing field. However the more people doing the right thing, and seeing the right thing means more will see the behaviour. This is wqhere you have to trust principles, its not an easy thing to remain ethical but its more rewarding.  

19/11/2012 at 14:06

This thread is so gay!

19/11/2012 at 16:02

The problem is that some people take what they read on on Facebook and Twitter to be fact, which it often isn't.

This is a bit like the Americans who get all of their history from films.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.