Soup Makers

Any good?

1 to 20 of 30 messages
03/02/2013 at 17:49

The idea of chopping a few veg etc. and putting them in a soup maker and having hot soup ready when you come back from a run / walk sounds good.

Has anyone got one? Are they any good or just another 'gadget'?

If they are any good, does anyone have any recommendations please?

TIA

Kev

03/02/2013 at 17:50

Make soup the normal way, then re-heat it when you get in, while you're in the shower.

It's just another gadget, up there with sauce makers.

03/02/2013 at 17:57

Agreed. Soup isn't very difficult to make. And in any case you're probably better off getting a pressure cooker rather than a gadget designed to only do one thing.

M...eldy    pirate
03/02/2013 at 18:05

I'm with the others ... its just something else that will sit in the back of your cuboard after a while

03/02/2013 at 18:23

soup maker no. slow cooker YES. great invention.

03/02/2013 at 18:24

Soup is so easy to make I can't see the need for a gadget to make it for you.

03/02/2013 at 18:38

Sounds like the most pointless gadget ever. Soup is already stupidly simple to make.

03/02/2013 at 18:53

I don't think the OP was asking if soup is hard to make. I think he was asking if anyone has one of these devices that (here's the important bit) you put the stuff in, switch on and then it makes the soup while you're out doing something else.

Edit: I didn't know these things existed so had a look on Amazon. Apparently they make yer soup in half an hour - that's not even a warmup let alone a decent run.

Edited: 03/02/2013 at 19:00
03/02/2013 at 18:59

Doesn't soup come in a tin any more? It did back when I was a tadpole.

03/02/2013 at 19:08

hmmmmmm - interesting. I'd never heard of a soup maker and my first thought was along with everyone else, a waste of money and space. But I've just googled and I have to say the morphy richards one look quite good and has some rave reviews. Yes you can easily make soup in a pan, but if you want it smooth you then have to transfer to a blender, and you can't leave the pan to cook so I can see advantages to this. A slow cooker wouldn't be the same because you'd still have to blend depending on what kind of soup you wanted, and I tend to prefer blended ones.  Not cheap but I'm tempted. 

03/02/2013 at 19:23
the dude abides wrote (see)

soup maker no. slow cooker YES. great invention.

Absolutely!

But yes, get yourself a good quality soup and heat it up - less washing up, no prep and you don't have to find somewhere to put a soup maker when you're not using it.

03/02/2013 at 19:37
Exactly Muttley. My thought was it would be convieniant to just check everything in one go and then go out and run or walk the dogs or ferry the kids to / from activities rather than having to stand and stir and add bits? When you are back dinner is done.

We already have soup 1 or 2 nights a week so are pretty adept at making.
03/02/2013 at 19:52
Soup Dragon wrote (see)

Yes you can easily make soup in a pan, but if you want it smooth you then have to transfer to a blender...

Get a wand blender, then you can blend it still in the pan.

03/02/2013 at 19:54

Best soup gadget I ever saw is a pan, the soup maker will no doubt end up with the sandwich toaster and George Foreman grill

03/02/2013 at 20:31

Yes, we weren't saying the OP was finding soup-making too challenging, more that the soup-maker would take up more space than its usefulness would justify, and you could have just made the soup in advance, I use a stick blender too -- less cupboard space and also useful for other things like hummus.

03/02/2013 at 21:00

If he makes soup 1 to 2 times a week already then possibly it wouldn't end up with all the *other* gadgets and I'd say most kitchens would have the cupboard space.

03/02/2013 at 21:07
Wilkie wrote (see)
Soup Dragon wrote (see)

Yes you can easily make soup in a pan, but if you want it smooth you then have to transfer to a blender...

Wilkie wrote (see)
Soup Dragon wrote (see)

genius. Ta Wilkie. Soup maker crossed off want list. 

I feel some shame that at as soup dragon I don't have a wand blender and instead faff about slopping from pan to blender.  

03/02/2013 at 21:10

The good thing about the wand blenders is that you can decorate your kitchen wall at the same time. Don't ask me how I know this.

03/02/2013 at 21:10

I seem to have a stutter.  Obviously the shock of updating the soup wells. 

03/02/2013 at 21:13

*takes wand blender off list and decides to stick with blender*  Contentment remains in the Soup cave. Thing is, most soups don't have to cook for 30 mins anyway, just prepare stuff in advance and put in pan while in shower. I get so seduced with gadgets. 

1 to 20 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.