South East London

Thinking of moving there. Any tips on areas?

1 to 20 of 29 messages
31/03/2010 at 17:09

We currently live in North London and are thinking about crossing the river to SE London, possibly Brockley/Ladywell area. Just wondering where is good to run, is this a good area to live, top tips on the SE area? People are pretty territorial about where they live, so I'm just interested to see what this throws up really!

Thanks x

31/03/2010 at 17:53
Somewhere within striking distance of Richmond Park!
31/03/2010 at 18:02
Oh if only Mike Frog! That's south west, we can only afford south east
31/03/2010 at 21:42
If wish to be really central SE17 Elephant and Castle less than 2 miles from Westminster. Still cheap as the redevelopment has only just started.  Close to Thames so towpath runs easily accessible.  Burgess Park OK for shorter runs.
31/03/2010 at 22:00
Thanks BBH. E&C might be a little too 'urban' for us, we are thinking a bit more residential, with a little one to think of. Great to be close to the river though, so many running options...hmmmm. Does it still have that great big pink elephant shopping centre?!
Plum    pirate
31/03/2010 at 22:27

Depends on the money really....... I am SE12 and it is about £160k for a two bed flat round here but a mile down the road in SE3 it is nearer £300k

Some bits of Forest Hill are nice, Brockley has good and bad bits.......quite a bit of new development going on,,,,,,only problem is the crap transport really,,,,,,no tube unless you head for Woolwich so Charlton is going up in value......... pick a rough area and I can be more precise

31/03/2010 at 22:36
Plum - we were thinking of Brockley/Ladywell, not sure what the postcode is.
Plum    pirate
31/03/2010 at 22:51
SE4 is Brockley...... Ladywell is part of Lewisham so is SE13................... there are some nice and some nasty bits of both,,,,,,,,,, , I have a friend who has Estate Agencies in in Brockley, Blackheath and Greenwich I could get you in contact if you want
01/04/2010 at 07:14
I'm in Honor Oak. It's nice round here.
01/04/2010 at 08:59
Nowt nice about Lewisham fro what I remember unless its changes alot same goes for E&C.  Brockley was nice tho.
01/04/2010 at 09:11
Ah, yes Honor Oak does seem nice. Is it good for running? I imagine hill training's not a problem there...
01/04/2010 at 09:19

Mmm Brockley is improving.  Ladywell is still a bit crappy.  I used to live in Sydenham/Crystal Palace.  It's nice round there if you stay up the Crystal Palace bit.  Nice big park there and lots of hills for hill training.

Forest hill is a bit dodgy in places especially around the big housing estate as you go towards the Sydenham end.  Mr Shimm's best mate lives there and he is getting ready to move as his kids are getting older and he doesn't want them growing up in Forest Hill.

01/04/2010 at 09:30
Plum - that would be great, we will be looking in earnest soon, so it will be good to have a friendly agent on our side!

Shimmy - that's great: where's crap/rough, where's not. Not looked at Crystal Palace, might be worth a look then, there's a great pool there isn't there?
01/04/2010 at 09:36

Crystal Palace is pretty nice really.  I used to live down the hill as you go towards Sydeham, in Lawrie Park Gardens.  There are some nice places round there.  There is a dodgy housing estate out the back of Lawrie Park gardens which I would avoid.

If you go through Sydenham there are some nice victorian houses to the right of the high street towards Penge way.  Penge is pretty grotty, I would avoid there but if you go towards Beckenham it gets really nice.... and pricey.

To give you an idea of price round there, we sold our 2 bed flat for £185,000 5 years ago.

They were doing up the sports centre last year.  It has a big pool and running track.  

Edit cos I'm writing like a 3 year old today.

Edited: 01/04/2010 at 09:38
01/04/2010 at 09:47

Near a track is always good - as above and Ladywell too (Kent AC)

Crystal Palace - reminds me of the old runs I used to do with Herne Hill on a Sunday am from Tooting Bec - streatham Common - Crown point - around CP, up that bloody hill and back to Tooting. Good times

01/04/2010 at 09:58
Simon - you're really selling it to me now!

Shimmy - my typing is erratic due to trying to keep a three year old entertained, same thing really I shall get on Rightmove this evening and check out those areas, good advice re: estates etc.
01/04/2010 at 10:04

It's nice for running, yeah. There's One Tree Hill, around Peckham Rye, Crystal Palace is down the road.

I don't think Forest Hill's that dodgy. As I say, I like HOP. It's a happy medium when living in a city. Wouldn't live in Brockley if you want to get the train into work, though.

01/04/2010 at 10:11

On the whole Forest Hill is okay, just stay away from the housing estate. 

Grove Park and Downham are okay too, we are getting a bit further out now.  Grove Park has a train station and good buses.  Mr Shimms Gran used to live there.   You get a few kids on their silly scooters but it's generally quiet.

Ah Simon,  Tooting.  Now that is a great place. I used to live in Tooting Broadway, I loved it.  Wimbledon is nice too.  *sigh* I used to live right behind the Centre Court Shopping Centre.  Fantastic place to live.  But very, very, very expensive  *big sigh*

01/04/2010 at 10:14
I used to live in Tooting Broadway, too. I also loved it. Bit grotty, but realllllly loved it.
01/04/2010 at 10:26
it's the grottiness that sort of adds to it in a strange way. 
1 to 20 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.