Sports Personality 2012

21 to 40 of 82 messages
27/11/2012 at 10:38
LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

I was trying to explain to my kids what an "embarrassment of riches" means this morning. I used this list as an example. How utterly FANTASTIC is it for British sport that we are genuinely spoilt for choice to the point where Olympic gold medallists are NOT on the list?

Well said LB 

Like Xine says, I've nothing against Jess at all but at 26 she's clearly got more to achieve, whereas someone like Wiggins or Weir hasn't. David Weir has certainly been on or near the top of his game for a very long time which is an amazing feat.

Edited: 27/11/2012 at 10:39
27/11/2012 at 10:39

Tom Hardy gets everywhere, doesn't he?

(That doesn't make sense now!)

Edited: 27/11/2012 at 10:40
27/11/2012 at 10:49
I'd be happy to see any of that lot win. And I hate tennis.

Shame there wasn't more room for Laura Trott. Glad to see the short list has been decided by people who know a bit about sports other than football and know that wimmin do other things than have boobies.
27/11/2012 at 10:57

3 Paralympians?  After last year's own goal this is political correctness gone mad.

Edited: 27/11/2012 at 10:57
27/11/2012 at 11:44

I think there should be two awards: Sports person for the one achieving the most memorable results and sports personality for someone with, well, personality Always nice to see a happy bunny winning things and not a sour puss!

27/11/2012 at 11:58

embarrassment of riches indeed. I remember being very impressed with all of the shortlisted's performances at the olympics. I'm not a follower of golf at all, but I can appreciate that Rory is great at what he does.

Personally, I found Katherine Grainger's achievement to be a real inspiration, and an example of determination and dedication. After three silvers in successive Olympics, to finally get her hands on the Gold with her last throw of the dice is a great story.

Looks like the bookies have tipped Wiggins to take it though. Any of the contenders this year would be worthy winners.

Iron Pingu    pirate
27/11/2012 at 11:58

Wiggins gets my vote.  Epic year for him.

27/11/2012 at 12:01

don't they usually have a few awards on the night? like best overseas sports personality, best team etc? I'd like to see a special mention to everyone involved in the 800m final, especially David Rudisha, who threw the tactics out of the window and just went balls to the wall from start to end.

27/11/2012 at 12:09
xine267 wrote (see)

Tom Hardy gets everywhere, doesn't he?

(That doesn't make sense now!)

Littlecopy/paste problem there originally 

Cheerful Dave    pirate
27/11/2012 at 12:17

Someone should have had a quiet word with Chris Hoy: 'Look mate, you won it after the last Olympics, you've got a knighthood and a velodrome named after you.  Would you mind if we didn't nominate you this time and put Laura in in your place?  Ta very much.'

27/11/2012 at 15:14

One thing's for sure. This is going to be one of the toughest awards to win after our great Olympic year. So many worthy candidates.

27/11/2012 at 15:16

What no place for a footballer, devoid of personality and family morality?

27/11/2012 at 15:48
Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

Someone should have had a quiet word with Chris Hoy: 'Look mate, you won it after the last Olympics, you've got a knighthood and a velodrome named after you.  Would you mind if we didn't nominate you this time and put Laura in in your place?  Ta very much.'

I think that would be fair enough actually Dave. I suspect Sir Chris would too.

27/11/2012 at 16:08

Ben Ainslee, despite his massive achievements, must have known he was an 'also-ran' in this contest. 

So today, he's thrown in a tactical retirement (well change of focus to the America's Cup.) 

He's either a PR Genius, or a desperate man! 

Cheerful Dave    pirate
27/11/2012 at 16:16

No, I think it was because Radio 5 are interviewing one of the nominees each day, and he happened to be first up this morning.  One of the inevitable questions would be about Rio, so what's he to say?

27/11/2012 at 16:24

im not sure why jess ennis gets many peoples votes... what did she do to justify a vote over any of the other single medal winners.

Other than she is easier on the eye

27/11/2012 at 16:48

I think that's true to a degree Dean.

She's a pleasant enough person and a talented enough athlete but I don't honestly see why she should be a front runner in this particular year. Other years, maybe. Although she does have the edge over other single medal winners in having to compete in 7 events. That does, I think, rightly, count for something.

But imagine the headlines if she hadn't won gold, it would have been all over the papers for days. And if the same thing had happened to Mo Farah, for instance, there wouldn't have been half the fuss. I realise it's hypothetical but you just know  what it would have been like.

Put it this way, was there ever so much fuss over Deniece Lewis who achieved the same thing? No.

Edited: 27/11/2012 at 16:53
30/11/2012 at 11:32

Tough tough one to call. I do thinka Brownlee should have been in and personally don;t think McIllory should win it. Nothing against him and did win a big one (Us PGA) bit not the same as the Olympians (plus he is paid millions and Olympians get no prize money)

Don;t think Nicola Adams either, sorry boxing doesn't do it for me. Any of the other 10 is OK.

Cycling and athletics both have three contendors so they will suffer a split vote although I do think Chris Hoy won't get votes because he has won it before and I think the other two are bigger achievements this year.

I am so unsure I have to revert to my sport so it will be athletics but which of the three? 

For me after a lot of thought it has to be Jess.

HUGE pressure on her, she was THE face of the games and he pulled it off. Somebody said she won it easy so won't get SPOTY BUT that was the point.

Was she the favourite? perhaps. Was it clear favourite? No way. There were three perhaps four of them that had a shot at it. I thought she would win by 50 points max, To win by 306 was an unbelievable achievement. She only got one medal but did seven events, four PBs, her hurdles would have won Gold in Beijing in the invididual event and 4th in London.

Personality? She is a fantastic character in the right way. The yanks always say you have to be a surly, arrogant whatsit to win.

Jess is a true Brit, really nice AND a winner

However I do think the split votes in athletics and cycling may let somebody in and that could well be Andy Murray. Wouldn't be my choice but actually wouldn't be totally distraught if he won.

30/11/2012 at 11:34

I agree she shouldn't win but, Mo Farah aside, Nicola Adams was my favourite gold medal of the olympics. she was brilliant and dead nice.

30/11/2012 at 11:36

Interesting points Brooks. I'd have no complaints in Murray won (although I'll be voting for Mo) but the fact that his personality irks some people (although I like his stroppy teen schtick) and the fact that he won't be at the actual event may count against him.

although the fact that the vote is on the night means anything can happen, within reason.

21 to 40 of 82 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.