Sports Personality 2012

41 to 60 of 83 messages
30/11/2012 at 11:36

Interesting points Brooks. I'd have no complaints in Murray won (although I'll be voting for Mo) but the fact that his personality irks some people (although I like his stroppy teen schtick) and the fact that he won't be at the actual event may count against him.

although the fact that the vote is on the night means anything can happen, within reason.

15/12/2012 at 23:14

alistair cook

16/12/2012 at 11:02
I think I'd like to see Mo get it but there's at least 6 on the list that would perhaps deserve it. I'd like to see Ellie Simmonds in the top 3 too. Personality wise I think she wins hands down.
16/12/2012 at 12:00

I think Mo Farah deserves it. Great though Wiggins was in the Tour, he did ride with team support so not a level comparison really.

16/12/2012 at 12:18

Bradley Wiggins for me. Not just for winning the Tour and another Olympic Gold, but he also won all the other big races he entered this year (Paris- Nice, Criterium etc). Maybe the best year any UK sportsman has ever had ?

Hard on Andy Murray especially, but I believe he'll win several more Grand Slams now he's broken the barrier and when/if he wins Wimbledon, he'll be a guaranteed winner of SPOTY.

It has been a vintage year though. Any one of 6 or 7 others (Weir, Mo, Jess Ennis, Alastair Cook etc) would be far more worthy winners than some in recent years.

16/12/2012 at 12:45

Ellie Simmonds will win it. (or indeed David Weir), mainly I feel for the fact that this is likely to be the only occassion (and for a while longer I suspect, but will be changing)  that disabled sport has such a high profile as to be included in the final reckoning without. being seen as a sop to political correctness. (ie. come next year all the usual able bodied sports will be there but without the para-olympics, disabled sports will again slip off the radar).

16/12/2012 at 13:41

for clarification I meant cook should be nominated, not necessarily win it.

perhaps the 'relative' lack of success of England and it's continued absence from terrestrial telly counts against him.

16/12/2012 at 13:47

Bradley, true sportsman and winner,

16/12/2012 at 13:49

i'd not complain if ellie simmonds or david weir won. I agree that in a sense it is 'the moment' for the paralympians, that may not come again in quite such dramatic circumstances. that's not political correctness, their achievements have been awe-inspiring.

that said, i'll be voting for mo.

16/12/2012 at 13:50
Bookies have been known to be wrong but Ellie Simmonds is 45/1 with Paddie Power so would be v surprised if she wins. Would be good if she did though.

My vote has to go to Wiggins who is also the bookies' favourite. If he can't win this year, you do wonder what he would need to do to win! And given what we found out about Armstrong, would be good to celebrate a 'clean' cyclist.

I think Mo will come 2nd and Ennis 3rd.
16/12/2012 at 13:54

yes, but it's difficult to predict because the vote is on the night, rather than over a long period of time.

that said, wiggins will probably win.

16/12/2012 at 14:26

I don't normally watch this but i can't wait for tonight, it could go to any of them.

my vote goes to Wiggins tho. As David Jones 39 said, he also won other things this year and not *just* The Tour and Olympic gold. No-one has ever won Romandie, Paris-Nice and Dauphine in the same year, but Wiggo has - that in itself is a massive achievement!

Edited: 16/12/2012 at 14:29
16/12/2012 at 14:37

he's the one good cop in the bad town

16/12/2012 at 16:50

Mo Farah born and lived in Somalia,should he be in the over seas category?don't care if hes got a british passport anybody now can get one of these look at london.

cougie    pirate
16/12/2012 at 17:30
Wiggins was born in Belgium.

I'll still vote for him though.
16/12/2012 at 17:46

I think Andy Murray deserves recognition, but, if he wins you would have to change the name of the award, personality what personality? I would be quite happy if Bradley wins but if Ellie Simmonds wins  a great athlete and she seems every bit the personality!

16/12/2012 at 17:55
robert orme wrote (see)

Mo Farah born and lived in Somalia,should he be in the over seas category?don't care if hes got a british passport anybody now can get one of these look at london.

Somewhere a village is missing its idiot.

16/12/2012 at 18:00
Flat Foo..ted wrote (see)
robert orme wrote (see)

+1

Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
16/12/2012 at 18:19
Flat Foo..ted wrote (see)

16/12/2012 at 18:44
robert orme .......you're a prick
41 to 60 of 83 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.