Staying in contact with your ex partners.

Can that ever work?

41 to 60 of 67 messages
26/10/2011 at 10:16
i work with one of mine, which was very awkward, but now is ok. Not an ideal situation
Lee the Pea    pirate
26/10/2011 at 10:21

Not many exes to speak of really, but couple I wouldn't even know how to get in touch if I wanted to, one I see at work when i'm in his office, but we get on fine.  Sometimes I forget what happened between us, then i suddenly remember when I look at him, and it feels odd to think all this passion was there once,because it isn't now, lol.  I'm a bit crap when it comes to exes though, hang on to the hurt a bit too much for too long, then have sudden realisation of 'wtf am I hung up on this?!' then I get over it  

I've never been with a guy that I was a long time friend with first, so not keen on keeping in touch if it goes pear-shaped. Rather leave the past in the past.

26/10/2011 at 15:52
Helen Liz wrote (see)

I had a run in with his ex. She'd left him, but once she found out about me, she turned up again. Showed up at his house, followed us home, that sort of thing. Told H that she'd either run me over or drive off a bridge. Guess which I'd rather she did  We were in the same university department, and she started bad mouthing me. Fortunately, no-one believed the rot she was spouting, and she discovered how little she was regarded

I didn't get it at the time and I still don't get it. She left him, why make such a fuss about him and me?

Perhaps her ego is bruised because he's got over her and found someone else?

26/10/2011 at 17:11

Possibly. It was over 6 months, not the next week and she'd walked out. It struck me as a bit like a toddler with a toy. I don't want to play with it but I don't want you to play with it either.

Mind you, she was a silly tart and he was better off without her (imho, obviously )

26/10/2011 at 22:35
Lee the Pea wrote (see)

I've never been with a guy that I was a long time friend with first, so not keen on keeping in touch if it goes pear-shaped. Rather leave the past in the past.

if it has all gone pear shaped i'm not so keen on staying in touch either.
26/10/2011 at 23:33
One of my ex's is and has been one of my best friends for over10 years now. We had a hard relationship when we were together. That lasted 3 years. After a horrible break up we just kinda forgot about the crap and started hanging out as friends with our new partners etc. I've been married and divorced since and not been able to do the same with my other ex. I guess it depends on the person really
Edited: 26/10/2011 at 23:34
18/11/2011 at 16:33
Two of my ex's came to my wedding and I went to one of their weddings. But the other one's now wife decided that I was a huge threat which was quite sad as it cut me off a circle of friends that I used to have in Germany. They live in Berlin by the way and I live in the UK - I guess I should be flattered that she thinks I can be a threat from so far away!

Otherwise, just Facebook or LinkedIn contact. And one sadly died. I only went out with him for a month when I was 16, but it was still a shock when I found out he'd had a brain aneurysm.

I've only met one of my husband's ex-girlfriends but I really liked her. Maybe that's because she's happily married and absolutely not a threat. But by definition you have something in common, that you've both loved the same guy (or girl)!

But it totally depends on the people involved.

23/11/2011 at 15:38
My wife joined facebook recently (I still don't know how it works). She got an invite to be a friend of her ex husband. She has declined the invitation but what is really odd is that his facebook photograph is of him at their wedding. We've been married 20 years.
seren nos yn canu    pirate
23/11/2011 at 15:44
groovy...........that is really weird
Nam
23/11/2011 at 16:10
Has he not worked out how to crop an image yet? 
23/11/2011 at 16:21
Nam we think he probably has as my wife thinks the original picture had both of them in.
Nam
23/11/2011 at 16:24

Ah I thought he had used a wedding photo of both of them.  That would have been really weird.

Maybe he just likes the way he looked 20 years ago...

LIVERBIRD    pirate
30/11/2011 at 20:05
Unhinged wife of ex finally flipped out at me and now neither her or her doormat of a husband are my 'friends'....
Thank F*CK for that..
01/12/2011 at 09:08

What an forgive the b!tch for taking my caravan ??????

01/12/2011 at 15:21
Wilkie wrote (see)

That's what I couldn't understand about the John Terry thing - he was having an affair (which is damn pretty bad), but it seemed to be somehow worse because he was having an affair with his team-mate's EX girlfriend?  Why is that?

At the time of the affair it was Bridge's CURRENT girlfiend.

How on earth did you miss that part.

ps Dave ex Spartan, did you used to post as Dangerous Dave in the old days?

01/12/2011 at 17:13

Nope

I used to be Dave The Spartan, And then became an Ex Spartan

01/12/2011 at 17:17
MrAN has to go to Harley Street next week for some tests on his shoulder. My ex, who broke my heart, lives on Harley Street. I've offered to go with MrAN, but I'd very much prefer not to. The last time I was on Harley Street, I nearly had a panic attack at the remote chance of meeting my ex. Of course, I'd never tell MrAN any of this.
Dark Vader    pirate
11/06/2012 at 21:44

It probably makes a difference if there are children involved...   staying in contact with the other parent is thus unavoidable...   but if its simply boyfriend/girlfriend then perhaps it can be harder to remain impartial - especially if jealousy sets in when a new partner is on the scene..   it'll always come back to sex...!

12/06/2012 at 20:16
Me and one of my ex's are a bit like Bruce willis and Demi Moore, if Bruce willis had a sex change. We lived together for 5 years. Continued to live together for 5 months after we spilt up, that was hard, so I moved out. 10 years later, we are as close as ever. She and her partner were wittnesses at my wedding and me and my partner were wittnesses at her wedding. This weekend the four of us are going away together. We usually go on holiday together once or twice a year. She remains my best friend and we speak several times a week and live a few roads apart. Both our partners have no jealousy at all as we really are platonic friends now.

A person I had a fling with, I'm in a band with and we are incredibly good friends. Some other minor ex's I'm 'friends' on Facebook.

Only one person I actively avoid, as she was a psycho and I would worry my cat might in up boiled.

My view is: if you spent a significant part of your life with someone, why would you not want to remain in contact with them? So you are no longer lovers, but surely the friendship can remain?
Edited: 12/06/2012 at 20:18
12/06/2012 at 21:25

I'm seeing an ex at the weekend.  He's my support crew at an endurance event I am doing.

41 to 60 of 67 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.