Stop the pasty tax!

41 to 55 of 55 messages
30/03/2012 at 15:20

Interesting discussion re the temperature of said pies / pasties at sale - hot and cold not too difficult to detect and deal with VAT-wise appropriately, "warm" seems to be the one posing the problem.  Apparently the problem stems from the fact that if a pie / pasty is sold on one day when the ambient temperature is colder, then the pie would appear warmer than a similar pie / pasty sold on a warmer day when it (ie the pie / pasty) would appear colder, thus VAT rates could and would change daily.

That could also lead to accusations for futher discrimination on the grounds that we all know that the weather down sarff (Middle England, Toryland) is considerably warmer than oop north, so tax would be less likely to be applied in the pie-guzzling areas of Tory Heartland.

Either way, won't affect me because I can't eat them.

Edited: 30/03/2012 at 15:20
Kryten    pirate
30/03/2012 at 16:01

Clearly then they should introduce a sliding scale of VAT depending on the temperature. Frozen pasties would be VAT-free, whilst one straight out of the oven would be charged the full rate, and a number of Pasty VAT rate bands would be defined for temperatures in between.

The whole purpose of government is to add layers of complexity to the existing bureaucracy otherwise how is progress ever going to be made?

Kryten    pirate
30/03/2012 at 16:06
Also areas of the country suffering from pasty shortages could be granted special VAT rates to encourage pasty shops to move there.
30/03/2012 at 17:08
Kryten wrote (see)

Clearly then they should introduce a sliding scale of VAT depending on the temperature.

That could also lead to job creation - you could have a load of government-appointed Pasty Required Acceptable Temperature Scrutineers: people appointed by the government to go to the various pie and pasty sellers checking the temperatures of pies and pasties as they are sold and ensuring that the appropriate amount of VAT is applied.

30/03/2012 at 19:01
i think you'll find they are called bridies
31/03/2012 at 11:18
Do they marry the groomies?
31/03/2012 at 11:25

ba-doom tish!

we aren't really husband material

31/03/2012 at 15:13
I get that you aren't husband material but who is the royal "we"
31/03/2012 at 19:28
bridie fans
31/03/2012 at 23:01
Ahhh just googled bridie and it's a pasty eaten by the Scotch
31/03/2012 at 23:06
Jeepers  wrote (see)
Kryten wrote (see)

Clearly then they should introduce a sliding scale of VAT depending on the temperature.

That could also lead to job creation - you could have a load of government-appointed Pasty Required Acceptable Temperature Scrutineers: people appointed by the government to go to the various pie and pasty sellers checking the temperatures of pies and pasties as they are sold and ensuring that the appropriate amount of VAT is applied.

You may joke, but........years ago i worked with a guy whose dad owned a butchers. Men from the council actually came round, analysed the homemade beefburgers he was selling and told him that, under EU regulations, he couldn't call his beefburgers beefburgers as they contained too much beef.
31/03/2012 at 23:14
i just googled scotch and its an english term for scottish people
31/03/2012 at 23:39

Ouch aye,  sarsenach.

KK

Edited: 31/03/2012 at 23:43
01/04/2012 at 08:53
I just googled sarsonsach and it appears to be a type of vinegar used by the scotch

03/04/2012 at 22:50
What made the sausage roll ?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 55 of 55 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.