Straw poll - Do you think Oscar will get bail??

81 to 100 of 107 messages
kittenkat    pirate
23/02/2013 at 16:16
Ja5onW wrote (see)

one shot maybe, as a warning.

would probably aim at the floor to be safe, but the facts that have been released so far (by the meadi i know!!) she was crouching and the bullets entered from an upwards position?

then pistorius claimed he wasnt wearing his legs!

Yeah I don't believe it was self defense either at all.

23/02/2013 at 16:24

they just need to find what triggered the argument and he will be toast.

guess what they do to a guy with no legs in prison ... it wont be pretty!

23/02/2013 at 16:30

play kiss chase???

23/02/2013 at 16:32

It's far too early to tell what kind of sentence he'll get. Even if he is found guilty of premeditated murder (which has a mandatory life sentence in South Africa, in practice 25 years without possibility of parole) the judge will take into account any "extraordinary circumstances" that apply and might mean he gets a shorter sentence.  

If he's convicted of culpable homicide rather than premeditated murder, its theoretically possible that he might not receive a custodial sentence because South Africa has no minimum sentence for culpable homicide. But I honestly can't imagine that he'd escape a custodial sentence based on what we know of the facts of this case. 

23/02/2013 at 16:38

What I do think is that any sentence he gets will be substantially reduced because his lawyers will argue that his disability constitutes an "extraordinary circumstance" (which seems to be like a "mitigating factor" in sentencing in English law). Whether I agree with that or not, his legal team would be beyond stupid not to make the most of it. 

Someone told me that in South Africa, the prosecution and defence aren't allowed to introduce theories at trial that haven't been covered in the bail hearing. Does anyone know if that's true? Sounds completely stupid to me!  

kittenkat    pirate
23/02/2013 at 16:39
xine267 wrote (see)

It's far too early to tell what kind of sentence he'll get. Even if he is found guilty of premeditated murder (which has a mandatory life sentence in South Africa, in practice 25 years without possibility of parole) the judge will take into account any "extraordinary circumstances" that apply and might mean he gets a shorter sentence.  

If he's convicted of culpable homicide rather than premeditated murder, its theoretically possible that he might not receive a custodial sentence because South Africa has no minimum sentence for culpable homicide. But I honestly can't imagine that he'd escape a custodial sentence based on what we know of the facts of this case. 

But he has power and influence, he is SA's golden boy and with that transcending race and other more traditional influences. That is exactly why his fall from grace is so lamented by SA, because they believed they had a hero that united people and filled in some of the cracks of apartheid.

23/02/2013 at 16:41

Which of the following applies.

1. He shot someone unknown dead, in the heat of the moment.

2. He shot someone he knew dead, in the heat of the moment.

3. He shot someone unknown dead after thinking about it for a minute or two.

4. He shot his girlfriend dead after thinking about it for a minute or two.

5. He always planned to execute any intruder he ever found in his house.

6. He had planned a long time in advance to murder his girl-friend.

kittenkat    pirate
23/02/2013 at 16:46

But now we have an expose of what exactly? How violent SA is in the gated communities of the super wealthy (not at all if you look at the stats)? Or how paranoid people living in a very violent countries are despite money and security? Or how legal access to guns by people in their 20's, teens, etc affects how emotions could then be expanded to utilise a weapon when you would punch a hole in the wall and fall into bed snoring without one?

I could go on... My point is that we will never know really.

23/02/2013 at 16:52

I worked once with a guy from South Africa who was a manager there of a branch of MacDonalds.

He said he always carried a gun while on duty and had received an award for fighting off a raid by criminals.  The gun was used.

23/02/2013 at 17:44
RicF wrote (see)

Which of the following applies.

1. He shot someone unknown dead, in the heat of the moment.

2. He shot someone he knew dead, in the heat of the moment.

3. He shot someone unknown dead after thinking about it for a minute or two.

4. He shot his girlfriend dead after thinking about it for a minute or two.

5. He always planned to execute any intruder he ever found in his house.

6. He had planned a long time in advance to murder his girl-friend.

Im going with 2 .......

something happened to spark off an argument, he possibly threatened her, she ran into the toilet and locked the door ...... he grabbed a cricket bat to try and knock the door down, batted it down but it wouldnt come down as she was leaning against the door crouched down and she kept refusing to open the door. Incensed, he grabbed his gun and started firing into the toilet ......... realising he killed her, he then used the bat to finally break in and try and 'save' her.

This is a man prone to rage. He had apparently already been called on 'domestic issues', and had also threatened to break a mans legs. And lets not forget this is a man who tried to force his way into the Olympics despite using carbon fibre legs and then had the absolute cheek to moan when he lost in the Paralympics.

This is a man who effectively is a spoilt little child who has always had people say 'yes' to him due to his disability so when he doesnt get his way he acts in a very immature way.

Well hes about to learn hes an adult now and there are consequences to your actions.

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
23/02/2013 at 18:09
He's a Johnny Foreigner. Who the feck really cares ?
Hope    pirate
23/02/2013 at 19:56
Gosh David F3.... That was a rather exciting read!
I still reckon it was colonel mustard :/
24/02/2013 at 11:21
I don't know if they will be able to find enough people to make up a jury who aren't already on a murder charge themselves. I reckon murder in SA is a bit like 3 points on your driving licence here.
24/02/2013 at 11:57
South Africa doesn't have trial by jury.
24/02/2013 at 13:36
Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
I don't know if they will be able to find enough people to make up a jury who aren't already on a murder charge themselves. I reckon murder in SA is a bit like 3 points on your driving licence here.

I guess when they get to 12 points they have one of their guns taken away for a day or two and get sent on some sort of refresher course in blowing someone head off.

24/02/2013 at 14:03

Well Oscars brother is up on attempted murder charges, so at least Oscar won't be lonely in prison.

24/02/2013 at 14:22
Culpable homicide, isn't it? More like manslaughter than attempted murder
24/02/2013 at 14:23

I guess ....... bottom line is Im not hanging out with the Pisterious's, death seems to follow them around.

24/02/2013 at 16:03
Oscar's brother is not up for murder, he was involved in a car accident where someone died in 2010
24/02/2013 at 17:45
EKGO wrote (see)
Oscar's brother is not up for murder, he was involved in a car accident where someone died in 2010

His gun must have gone off whilst driving. 

81 to 100 of 107 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.