Sunday Selection

Church? LSR? or Both?

21 to 40 of 191 messages
11/08/2009 at 12:06

I was well and truly put off church by being made to go when I was a kid.

I have never been voluntarily since - other than weddings/christenings/funerals.

So if my LSR doesn't have to start early then I have a bit of a lie in.

There's usually a roast dinner to follow the LSR

13/08/2009 at 22:39

Wilkie

What put you off? - I had to go to sunday school until I was 14, then I was allowed to make my own choice, and I chose not to go.

Mrs BD  started going a whole lot of years ago now, after our second son was born.

I have moved from agnostic, through searcher, to a still rather poor level of belief, but I am working on it.
Most of which has come about through a nurture group, rather than through attending church.

14/08/2009 at 10:11

You missed out the third option......those of us that have to work on Sunday .

I'd never go to Church on a Sunday, partly because like Wilkie I had to go untill I was 16. Partly beacuse I don't believe in God, and partly cos I'm a Buddhist so I'm on a different team .

14/08/2009 at 14:49
I too had to go every day between 7 and 18 years old - Never ever again !
14/08/2009 at 15:00

My mum used to make me go when I was little. One sunday a lady was sat in front of us wearing a real fur coat. Apparently I leant forwards, stroked the coat and asked at the top of my voice "mummy, why is the lady wearing a dead pussy?"

I never had to go to church again!!

14/08/2009 at 23:22

Great stuff Lou-Lou!

The old dead cat ploy.

I think that CHURCH & SUNDAY SCHOOL have often been the best turn off that Christianity has every had.

14/08/2009 at 23:24

It should not be like that!

15/08/2009 at 17:35
As an ex-Christian, I used to do the Church thing.  I now do the running, sitting around and watching tele and playing on the computer thing instead.
15/08/2009 at 20:12

I really miss church.

I was brought up a catholic, but it's not possible to do that properly and be in a relationship without wanting children, so felt like a hypocrite, gave up and didn't go near a church for 20 years.  For a while a few years back I went to the Anglican church, but in the end I had to admit that I wasn't entirely convinced that there is any sort of superior being who created all this, so I felt like even more of a fraud. They kept banging on about their relationship with Jesus. 

Er...... what? 

***big blank empty thought bubble***

15/08/2009 at 20:18

I do both! 

8am followed by LSR from 8.30-10.30, then head off to relevant sports field to join the minigoons.  Sometimes in the winter as a treat for everyone, I do my LSR first, then meet the OH at 10.30 church for  and hide my sweaty running kit under a very long coat.

The 8 o'clockers are very tolerant of my non-sweaty lycra though.

15/08/2009 at 20:19
Hash, I think you found an evangelical Anglican church, by the sound of it. Why not come and join we nice Anglo-Catholic high church people?
15/08/2009 at 20:23

Hmmm..... so how do I tell which my local church is Sass? 

I've moved since my last attempt at going (excluding Christmas Eve carol services!) but the problem is that I know a fair few people in the village, so if I start going and then stop I'll get a barrage of well-meaning questions that I don't want to answer

Edited: 15/08/2009 at 20:27
15/08/2009 at 20:29
Best way is to discover which Diocese you're in, phone them up and ask them. They will also be able to tell you where your nearest 'high' Anglican church is if your own parish church turns out to be of an evangelical persuasion.
15/08/2009 at 20:31
Btw, any overly keen enquiries about your pattern of church-going can generally be stopped with:
"I'm reviewing all the local churches for an article, but thanks for asking."
15/08/2009 at 20:40

Sunday is the one day I don;t have to get up at 6am so it consists of:

Long lie, papers, coffee, bread and jam, radio 4 , kitchen based pottering, chasing the kids from their beds and forcing some sort of activity on them, LSR, dinner, chasing the kids into the shower, packed lunch making, bed.

Also agnostic so the church thing is lost on me.

15/08/2009 at 20:47
16/08/2009 at 07:55
Happy Sunday peeps!
16/08/2009 at 08:04

normally:  lsr then work, or, work then lsr for me.  Managed to do my lsr yesterday and I have today off work - yay!

No church for me, was never made to go as a kid, and I've only been for a couple of weddings and two extremely long catholic funerals.

I'm a pagan so it's the wonderful outdoors, rain, sun, wind or snow

16/08/2009 at 08:28
Nice one Sass re the overly keen enquiries, and thanks for the info
16/08/2009 at 09:46

I've never understood the dragging the kids to church every Sunday bit. We made a concious decision to give our children the choice. The Celtic liturgy relies on daily offices rather than one big Sunday Shindig, and its a lot quieter and less intrusive. Sunday for us is always a quiet day when we do as little work as possible. Races, fishing, and other leisure activities are encouraged.

Our children are grown now. One is a regular churchgoer, one goes when he can be bothered to get out of bed, and one never goes near a church (and never did as a child). I dont see it as my place to preach to them one way or the other.

21 to 40 of 191 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.