Sunday Selection

Church? LSR? or Both?

61 to 80 of 191 messages
17/08/2009 at 12:42

lol - true - lol

17/08/2009 at 13:52
LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

......but must have gone to the toilet when he got round to creating Runcorn and Widnes...

*runs off*

perhaps he did that to achieve balance between "beauty & ugly" ?
LIVERBIRD    pirate
17/08/2009 at 14:03
Now THAT is a good point!
17/08/2009 at 14:55

do you think God makes a distinction or even has a conceptual distinction between "beauty .v. ugly" or is that just a human invention? according to the saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" there are probably people out there who believe that the most beautiful place to be is "Runcorn & Widnes"  (I personally can't argue for either having never seen the place)

Is religion a human invention and if so to what purpose? does it do what it sets out to do?  When it comes to religion there appears to be a lot of discord amongst human kind as to which is the true/better religion.

On the otherhand I feel that most People have equal appreciation or are in total agreement when it comes to appreciating the majesty and wonder of nature in all its awe inspiring glory. 

17/08/2009 at 18:51

I see that there has been some activity on here since I last looked in.

Yesterday was Church, LSR, Rest, then cooking, eating and watching the athletics.

I did not go out to the evening service, so Mrs BD went on her own.

seren nos yn canu    pirate
17/08/2009 at 19:15

depends on the week......we tend to go only every other week to church as we had a family meeting to see if  the kids still wanted to go or not.......after discussion it was agreed that we would go twice a month and these tend to fit around races.

the kids enjoy the 'sunday school' as they get to discuss many topics and religions and are allowed and encouraged to discuss if god exists..........whilst having tea and biscuits.......they enjoy it more now that they have this informal session as they are all comp age.......

I do agree with those who find that a LSR in the country can be quite spiritual in its own right.

17/08/2009 at 20:49

Both....

Either an Early LSR then Church

or Church then Afternoon LSR

or Race and an Evening service if possible....

17/08/2009 at 21:51
As an atheist and no fan of organized religion I have no dilemma to deal with. But if I were a believer, I would expect my God to approve of an activity that's good for body and mind even if it means sometimes missing communal worship. I could always catch up with Him (or Her!) later.
LIVERBIRD    pirate
18/08/2009 at 08:03

Good point Mutts.

Our church is forever pointing out that being a Christian is not something you do on a Sunday morning and I personally HATE the idea of tipping up on a given day to get my "stamp" and then I can go out afterwards and get on with my life for the rest of the week!

I have no issue racing on a Sunday morning. I don't do it every week and if anyone from church wants to come and cheer me on, I'd consider that fellowship!

18/08/2009 at 15:11

Well God has given me the gift of running, so if a race is on a Sunday perhaps thats where I'm supposed to be.

18/08/2009 at 15:13
Although I'd hasten to add that you'll never find me preaching His word to a bunch of hairy @rsed fell runners on the start line. Methinks that might be a step to far even for St Paul who wasnt aversed to such things.
18/08/2009 at 15:31

I hated it, BD - it was extremely boring, I didn't believe in it, and couldn't wait to escape.  There would be a row at home every Sunday morning about whether I had to go or not.

Sunday School was bad enough, but when I graduated to "Youth Group" it was even worse.  In the end I just stopped going - I'd leave the house at the right time, and return at the right time, killing time in between.

My mum caught on in the end, and finally gave in - I was probably about fifteen by then. 

I am now agnostic with a leaning towards non-belief.  I find what you say interesting:  

I have moved from agnostic, through searcher, to a still rather poor level of belief, but I am working on it.
Most of which has come about through a nurture group, rather than through attending church.

Surely you either believe, or you don't?  How can you "work on" believing in God?

Edited: 18/08/2009 at 15:35
18/08/2009 at 21:21

Wilkie

I think that everyone has to work at it. The greatest of the saints do not necessarily find it easy to maintain belief.

I do not have too much trouble believing in God.
A creator god is just as good an explanation for all this as anything else, and better than most.

I have more trouble with belief in a caring god who wants a personal relationship with me, and that not because there is anything special about me, but because to God we are all special and loved, (even the forum Trolls).

I have the most trouble in believing in Jesus as the living embodiment of God on earth.

When the congregation was asked the question that Jesus asked his disciples "Who do you say I am" I did not have an answer springing to my lips.

There is a prayer that says it best - Lord, I believe; help Thou my unbelief

I used to say that I was only a believer when I sang, but that is changing. Faith is something you have to work at, and not just on your own, but in the company of other believers aka The Church.

19/08/2009 at 09:16

I take the view that either there is a god, or there isn't.  I just don't know, and actually don't care. 

Whether I believe in god, or creationism, or that we're the decendents of an alien race from another planet makes no difference.

It is what it is.

19/08/2009 at 09:35
Aliens!! Now thats what Im talking about!
19/08/2009 at 09:51

i don't think it's as simple as you either belive or you don't, you say yourself Wilkie that you are "leaning" towards non- belief, this would suggest you have not 100% made your mind up about your own views.

In this modern age where we question everything that is put in front of us, it is hard for some people to decide where their faith is, if they have any at all and can take learning and teaching to find something you truely belive in and find faith and happiness in, if thats in creationism, buddhism, islam or christianity then its all good, whatever gets you through the day i say, but i'm not neccessarily of the mind that you need to attend a church to have that nurtured although clearly, for some it helps, at the moment for me i'm not sure.

19/08/2009 at 10:06
Everyone should believe in something and I believe I'm in need of another beer !
19/08/2009 at 10:11
19/08/2009 at 11:18
Already HTA - hence the name i suppose!
20/08/2009 at 09:35

What I mean is that I do not believe that god exists, but that I acknowledge that I may be wrong about that.

I wouldn't say "there is no god", rather I would say "I don't believe there is a god".   I'm keeping an open mind (and hedging my bets )

My own views are quite clear to me, but I know that my views are not infallible. 

61 to 80 of 191 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.