Sunday Selection

Church? LSR? or Both?

141 to 160 of 191 messages
31/08/2009 at 21:57

See what happens when your back is turned

Management steps in.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
31/08/2009 at 21:59

Mrs Big David - you need to be hitting Big David over the head with that Bible for not taking you to New York, Paris or Rome for your 35th wedding anniversary!

Tell him a day with the "affleticks" on is not anybody's idea of romance!

But congrats to you both!

31/08/2009 at 22:18
Some CoE churches however are a bit fluffy. Some catholic churches are too staid. Find what you're comfortable with and see how it goes.
Edited: 01/09/2009 at 08:44
LIVERBIRD    pirate
01/09/2009 at 09:43

I find " CE high church" a bit staid too DM....

But then again, if you wander into a more evangelical church and you're not expecting to see people waving their arms about, you could be a bit spooked by that too....

01/09/2009 at 19:23
Churches can be scary.
02/09/2009 at 09:03
Churches can be scary.But they shouldnt be.To quote the minister of a Methodist chapel I occasionally frequent"I'd rather people left thinking "Nice people shame about the service" than "Nice service shame about the people""
gingerfurball    pirate
02/09/2009 at 09:13
I heard a great quote once - a guy was giving off about how the church was full of hypocrites to which the reply was "well there's always room for one more!"
03/09/2009 at 19:12
lol
06/09/2009 at 21:28

Today

R*nning won. I did a 10mile race and did not go and sing, (I belong to one of the churches singing groups) which I was otherwise down to do.

I did go to church this evening.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
07/09/2009 at 09:28

Well I'm the biggest sinner of them all....

I had too many glasses of the red stuff on Saturday night and woke up yesterday with a steaming hangover.. I then had to be in church by 9.00 to lead the service!  I have not had a hangover for 20 years!

Thankfully I wasn't doing the talk. Had it been about the evils of drink I might have been even more ashamed...

That said, somebody meant to be involved in the service chose to go to a race to support his wife, who was running it. I felt a little let down because he wasn't actually involved in the race and we really needed him there. She does lots of races, so it wasn't like this was a one off event.

Is that wrong? This was a special service that was the culmination of a years work for those of us who had been on a course. I was quite surprised I felt that way, because I was the only runner among the people taking the service and nobody else seemed bothered. You'd have thought I'd have been the one fighting his corner.....

gingerfurball    pirate
07/09/2009 at 09:40

It was probably the hangover making you narky!

We bag packed in Sainsbury's for 2.5 hours on Saturday for  charity (we're sending a bunch of young ones to Zimbabwe in Oct to help build an orphanage there) it was brilliant fun but really tiring!

Sunday was up early - MrGFB was on drums at church (and he blinking rocked it!! LOL) a short run in the afternoon followed by a yummy dinner....

Then in the evening my family went to see this guy Taming the Tiger while I watched the baby with my daughter (and had a few white wines!! )- 

Edited: 07/09/2009 at 09:40
LIVERBIRD    pirate
07/09/2009 at 09:44

Funnily enough, GFB - I didn't have ANY wine yesterday.....

And nor am I planning to have any today. But I did get through a massive amount of Highland Spring Water!

gingerfurball    pirate
07/09/2009 at 09:56
I'm not having any all week - but it's only because I need to lose weight
07/09/2009 at 11:50

Wow!  This has gone on and on and on, which is fantastic. 

That's all!

Sass (a Christian by profession!)

07/09/2009 at 13:44

LSR then church.

Or even both at the same time if you allow recording a bible reading, while out on a training run, which was played in church at the same time as I was half way round FLM.

For the record I'm one of the leaders at our junior church, the children that come along to our groups on a Sunday have parents who already believe in God or who are just starting out learning about God themselves. We try to put on a range of activities that will the children will enjoy and also give them the opportunity to ask questions that they might not get the chance to ask otherwise. Yesterday we even roped in one of the parents who has severe hearing loss so that they could explore what it is like to go from being able to hear to having to deal with being deaf. It was very illuminating for all of us, not just the children.

gingerfurball    pirate
07/09/2009 at 16:18
Theres about 10 people from our church including the pastor doing our local half marahon on Saturday.
07/09/2009 at 16:51

OK I have a religion based question....

I went and saw a play at the weekend called "inherit the wind" which is about the creationism verses evolution/darwin debate.
My understanding of christianity is that the bible is the word of God and that in the bible it states that God created the earth in 7 days. Science has proved (certainly to me) that animals and plants are the way they are today because of millions of years of evolution and that therefore there's no way that things were put on this earth in its present form (by God or any other force).

So do those of you who are religious believe in :

A) Creationism and ignore the scientific 'proof' that the earth was not created in seven days as stated in the bible
OR
B) Evolution which (I assume) would mean that you accept that the bible is incorrect

I was always brought up to undersatnd that those who are religious cannot 'believe' in evolutionism because it goes against what the bible states.
Obviously I don't want to sound flippant or dismissive of someones religion, nor do I want to stir up a massive debate but I've not had the opportunity to ask this question before and I'd just like to know what opinions other people have

07/09/2009 at 19:12

Lou-Lou - I'm both a Christian and an evolutionist. 

The creation account in Genesis 1 was written at a time in Jewish history when the nation of Israel was encountering other cultures that believed in many gods and had their own creation myths. The "seven days" of Genesis 1 is probably a response to this - its a literary structure rather than a historical one. The point for the original writers and readers, in my view, was that one God made the earth, the sun, the stars, the land and sea, etc, rather than a different god ruling over each one. 

The language of Genesis 1 isn't ordinary prose of the kind that you might expect in a historical narrative. It isn't poetry, but it isn't ordinary Hebrew either. I'm not sure that there is a modern equivalent, but the closest might be a kind of ceremonial language. 

The kind of literalist interpretation that both creationists and their evolutionist opponents tend to take is, in my view, wrong. If Genesis had been written in the 19th century, it would probably have been written as a literal, scientific account of the origins of life. But it wasn't written in the 19th century - it was written in a time and culture that wrote history in very different ways to the way that we do. I don't see a contradiction between Genesis and evolution because I don't think that Genesis 1-3 was ever intended to be read as literal history. Even in Britain, literalist readings didn't become the main way of reading the Bible until around the 17th or 18th century.

If you're interested in this topic, two books that are worth a look are Creation or Evolution: Do We Have to Choose? by Denis Alexander (a Christian and a biologist) and Can a Darwnian be a Christian? by Michael Ruse (atheist and philosopher of science).  

07/09/2009 at 19:25

Only fundamentalists believe that every word in the bible represents historical truth.

The creation stories, and there are two in the bible, come from an oral tradition, which I think dates back far longer than any of the other contents. Understandably given the subject matter.

Personally I believe that evolution fits the evidence better than creationism. And does not diminish God as evolution is also Gods creation.

If you are a Christian but not a fundamentalists, then the creation story tells us something about the relationship of God to us and the rest of his creation.

07/09/2009 at 19:57

Problem is, with all religious texts, that sections can be taken literally to fulfil the readers own beliefs. Which is why we religous fundementalists of all persuasions believing it is their god given duty to kill or assimilate those of other beliefs.

There has to be a distintion between those who believe that God created the universe, and those that adhear to a religion.

Within a religoin there seems to be varieties of sects with their own interpretations. I think those who follow an organised religion fall into two groups. The first group reqire to be shown leadership and given the promise of eternal life if they follow the rules. The other group use religion to exercise personal power.

I'm an agnostic.  There a various flavours of agnostic belief too, mine is that we don't have an explanation - yet, and may never have one, but an am positive that all religions are the invention of mankind for their own purpose, be it comfort or control.

141 to 160 of 191 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.