Suspended from Work - Disaplinary Investigation in to me.

Help & guidance needed

1 to 20 of 32 messages
29/08/2007 at 09:33

I work for a large finance company and on Tuesday the 21st of August I was suspended from work on full pay while they look in to claims I have been dishonest in my overtime claims.  This was a complete shock to me and my family. 

I have been totally honest in my overtime claims and I believe this will be shown at the conclusion of the investigation. 

My worry is that as the days pass and I have no contact with the company I should seek out professional guidance.  My initial confusion is turning to frustration and I want to be prepared to stand up for myself should this be required. 

It is now 8 days since I was at work and apart from me calling in each morning at 9.00am to say I am at home and available I have had no contact with work. 

Can anyone give me any words of support or guidance?

29/08/2007 at 09:38
go consult a solicitor with experience in employment law - they can advise you properly

if you are clear and have no case to argue then expert representation will still be needed
29/08/2007 at 09:38

What a worry for you, EdinburghKev.

Still, you know you are honest, and as you say, the truth will out.

Are you a member of a professional body or trade union? that would be my first port of call.

29/08/2007 at 09:46

I am not in a union or professional body.  I have emailed a couple of employment lawyers though.  I have just waited each day to see if work would call to say come back. 

I have a phone number for a trade union, I will give them a call.  

I did not thing my employer could keep me waiting with no contact for days and days.

29/08/2007 at 09:49

I agree. If you are in a union go straight to them. They know their stuff. Ive been in this sort of sh!tty situation before so I know what it feels like. If not a union then seek professional advice in some other capacity if you can. Yes the truth will out but be careful the barstewards dont distort it. The more expert backing you have the better.

Good Luck.

29/08/2007 at 09:56

I called AMICUS but as I am not a member they cannot help me.  I have asked for an application form so I can join so I have backup in future.

AMICUS have given me a number for ACAS, I will try them.

29/08/2007 at 09:56

Have they given you details of the allegations against you? They have to tell you in writing what the charges are.

Write down yourself the sequence of events starting from them telling you that you are under suspension. Every phone call you make, record the details. Ask your employer for details of your alleged offences and keep asking till you get them. Write down every time you ask for these details.

And get a lawyer.

Good luck!

Farnie    pirate
29/08/2007 at 10:02

I agree, write everything down.  Its seems trivial at the time and you may feel silly doing it but its a must.  Have you spoken to the CAB?  I found ACAS really helpful.  Also strangely through my bank, I got free legal help.  Maybe worth checking, banks these days are always adding weird stuff like that on so they can charge you money.

I would make an appointment asap for a employment law specialist and also the CAB.

Have they done this before to anyone else?

29/08/2007 at 10:08
I agree also. Write everything down.
ImRio    pirate
29/08/2007 at 10:31

Acas will help you free I hope you get it sorted.

Being under investigation is horrible.  But your employer is just following procedures.  You will have the right to be accompanied to the hearing. 

29/08/2007 at 10:46
It happened to me 15 years ago when I lived and worked in Norway. I was suspended for five months as somebody else was cooking the books and I was where the buck stopped. At the time, my sentimental partner was my assistant and I think the stress from this contributed to make us go our separate ways. I  did not take the whole thing very well. In the end was cleared by all allegations because i didn't do it (do! I could have told  them that and saved aggro and monety to all involved...), but the trust in the company simply wasn't there anymore. I resigned and used the money I had saved to retrain in a different job I liked much more. I still regret having split up with my boyfriend though. Be strong Kev. Use the extra time to do things you like doing and seel legal advice, that will make you feel more in control of the events and not a puppet in their hands. I did not have legal advice because i thought that my innocence would triumph anyway, which it did at the end, but I fet very powerless and scared, i think that a good lawyer would have helped to make me feel more confident. Good luck mate it is a horrible situation and I wish you weren't there.
29/08/2007 at 10:51

you must get a lawyer ... being one myself I would say everything said above is right ... make detailed notes now of what happened because time does play tricks on the old memory, go see a lawyer who will then be able to make contact with your employers and drag the decision out of them ... you need to know what investigation they are doing and they should be letting you know in clearly written letters ... it should no longer be cloak and dagger stuff. 

look at and use the search for a solicitor/firm thingy a go.

29/08/2007 at 10:53


my partner is in a pickle with his work too....basically his organisation has been re-organised and everyone had to re-apply for thier own jobs again - my OH and his boss have both been "shafted" and are the only one's out of a job!  Their juniors who worked for them have been appointed instead!!  Although they have protected pay for 3 years they can be placed in any job in the organisation for that period!

Basically- (not wanting to take over the issue of this thread)  - i think the point is it to try and get everything in writing from your point of view, get what they are accusing you of in writing, SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP - it may scare your organisation into resolving the issue instead of being all cloak and dagger about it.   There is nothing worse than not knowing what is going on - if you know what is happening on their side then you can be prepared to answer.

My OH has kept a file of incidents over the past 3 years to back up what he feels is "bullying" from the dept head.  Once he's out of there he's taking the b***ards to court for constructive dismissal.

 Some people have no idea what things like this does to people and their families.......


29/08/2007 at 10:56

Thanks for the post Mabelle, I am keeping busy and I am fairly up beat as I know I have done nothing wrong.

I am still trying to get through to ACAS on the phone.  I have emailed my manager asking for a break down of the allegations against me and a time frame to when the investigation may end.

I have also contacted a lawyer and I will give them a call over lunchtime.  

I did not think employers treated people like this.  Thank goodness my wife is as great as she is like a rock for me.  My kids keep me smiling all the time too.

Part of me is bloody annoyed and I know work will never be the same when I go back.  I have been cut off, left dangling and I have no idea what is going on. 

Farnie    pirate
29/08/2007 at 11:03

I had loads of problems when I got pregnant.  I ended up leaving as they made it so hard for me when I came back from maternity leave.  I wish I had done something about it because since then I have spoken to other people who used to work there who have had the same done to them.

You'll probably find when you do go back its better, especially if you put up a proffessional fight,  you will undoubtably have respect from your fellow workers and your company will know not to mess with you!

ImRio    pirate
29/08/2007 at 11:08

Kev try the Acas website

you get the same info on there and at least you wont have to wait.

Go to the A to Z of work and look under Discipline and Grievance section

29/08/2007 at 11:10
Kev, by the name of the Union, I believe you work for the same company I used to work for.  Once this is resolved, I'd go elsewhere anyway as they are the biggest shower in the industry.
29/08/2007 at 11:13

ACAS advised me to sit tight.  I am on full pay and althougth it is unusual for investigations to take as long as this has some companies just take time.

ACAS asked how long I have worked for my employer and I said 11 & half months.  I have no rights until 12 months so if my employer wants me out and does it before 12 months that is it, I have no rights.  Fingers crossed this is not the case. 

ImRio    pirate
29/08/2007 at 11:16
Well if the investigation takes another couple of weeks you should be ok anyway.
29/08/2007 at 11:23

Thanks Coops.

I have just looked at my contract of employment and it states my employment started on the 14th August 2006.  I did not actually turn up for my first day until the 1st week in September.  Does this mean if things got really bad for me it would seem I have over 12 months service?

1 to 20 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.
Forum Jump  

RW competitions

RW Forums