Sweets

Ones you thought you had forgotten

101 to 120 of 130 messages
13/09/2002 at 15:14
I remember Chiclets, Gillian, although the ones I had were a present from my lovely step-auntie in Canada. I seem to remember that they came in lots of different flavours. Peppermint and cherry were my favourites.

Fussells, Barkles? Carnation, surely! Gillian, if your supermarket is a decent-sized Sainsbury's or Tesco, get dulce de leche instead. Really! It's gorgeous. And possibly the only foodstuff of which I can honestly say that I like it but couldn't eat a whole one.

Tim, I am going to pretend to be a foodie now and go around getting sniffy because you can only get Argentinian dulce de leche here - unless anyone knows different...

I remember a bar called "5-4-3-2-1" which was heavily promoted as being something special in Scotland because it was being introduced there ahead of the rest of the UK. I think it was just a dust-dry two-finger chocolate-coated wafer biscuit with a sprinkling of nut-shavings.
13/09/2002 at 15:39
Condensed milk- mmmmmmmmmmm, love it, got a tin in the cupboard which I use to make Delia's energy bars, but you don't need the whole tin so - well, it would only go to waist (waste).

Whizzy
13/09/2002 at 15:41
I'm off home (avoiding the supermarket Barkles) have a great weekend everyone

Gillian
Ratbag    pirate
13/09/2002 at 15:43
V-Rao,

Didn't they use the Manfred Mann's hit 5-4-3-2-1 to advertise it??

I'm sure in Ireland they used to do a 'whole fruit' bar but can't remember what it was called.

I've NEVER had condensed milk. Or dulce de leche.

Am I missing something?
13/09/2002 at 15:58
RB, they certainly used an annoyingly memorable jingle to advertise 5-4-3-2-1 on telly, although I don't know who wrote it.

Missing something? Condensed milk - no, it's only fit for cooking with (I use it for home-made bounty bars). Dulce de leche - definitely.
Ratbag    pirate
13/09/2002 at 16:00
V-Rap,

I'll check it out as I'm popping into Tesco on the way home.

On a completely different note, I see that Majestic Wine are doing 25% off Penfolds wines.

I'm sooo tempted to go get a mixed case.

13/09/2002 at 16:37
Amazing it has taken 114 postings to get from sweets to wine!!!!!!

Whizzy
13/09/2002 at 17:02
Especially as it only took about 10 postings to get from junket to menthol inhalations.
Ratbag    pirate
13/09/2002 at 17:05
Maybe we could pass on wine tips....

Certainly not junket tips..

..'great junket I have eaten'...??

No, doesn't ring right.
13/09/2002 at 17:32
Wine tips...

The wine you buy in France for 20p a litre tastes delicious in the gite, but turns into antifreeze during the channel crossing.

Bulgarian red champagne is minging.

Just because it tastes sweet and there are flies floating in the bottle doesn't mean that your neighbour's home-made viburnum and aubergine wine won't get you drunk.
14/09/2002 at 11:50
Just had a thought, when I was a kid I used to love "Pontefract Cakes" round liquorish thingies............
14/09/2002 at 16:20
Angel delight
Still hungry, obviously!
16/09/2002 at 08:39
Don't know why but when out running this morning I suddenly thought of Wispa bars, do you still get them?
16/09/2002 at 09:00
Angel delight is still available and still as synthetically gloopy as ever. Likewise Dream Tipping - remembr that? I used to be given something my mother called "pink pudding", which was a blancmange powder whisked up with milk. Haven't seen it around, probably because that's not its real name. It came in boxes of 5 sachets.

Wispa bars are still around (I remember them being the new bar on the block - sometime around the early 80s) and have spawned several derivative versions.

Creamola foam?
16/09/2002 at 09:05
Wine...

Sparkling Shiraz (Seppelt) is great if you're interested in red bubbly. I beleive it also won a silver medal in the IWC... If that means anything to anyone!

Lambrini is also fantastic... Especially the 1976 vintage
16/09/2002 at 09:08
You used to get Creamola Foam up until a couple of years ago - the orange in a shot of Vodka was Fab!!!
16/09/2002 at 13:48
Barkles - Ha managed a condensed milk free weekend, although I reckon I would have been allowed a little after my mammoth 12 miler on Saturday morning, I ended up running so far because I couldn't be bothered tackling the hill on my usual ropute so I took a different one - didn't realise how long it was until I was miles from home - eventually made it home in one hour 36
16/09/2002 at 14:04
Well done Gillian..... but you kept thinking baout it tho.. didn't you?
16/09/2002 at 14:05
I always seem to come in late on these threads but does anyone remember Prizes? These were fudge, raisin and buiscuit covered in chocolate. I was adicted to them but they were withdrawn about 20 years ago. Whenever I mention them I just get blank looks from people (actually that seems to happen a lot to me).

16/09/2002 at 14:49
I had a privileged upbringing. I remember asking "How much are the penny bubblies" and being so embarrassed that I never returned to the shop.
101 to 120 of 130 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.