Syrian refugees

what's your view

21 to 40 of 71 messages
08/10/2013 at 16:52

LOL.........indeed!!

08/10/2013 at 16:54

I blame the confusing message from the tabloids who want them all to go home but offer them cheap ferry tickets

08/10/2013 at 17:44

Refugees are supposed to seek asylum in the first safe country they arrive in but there are EU agreements regarding their being acceptable in a third country if they have particular ties such as family. Practically speaking though as many arrive from unknown countries or via somewhere where for a variety of reasons they cannot be returned then they have to be considered here. If they have claimed in the EU previously then this can be identifed by fingerprints and they will be returned to the country that is obliged to consider their claim under the Dublin Regulation.

You also have to consider as others have mentioned, the numbers coming to the UK are relatively low. Think of the vasy amount of illegal migration to Greece and Italy - many may not stay there but lots do and even those that don't settle there long term are still a huge financial drain on the infrastructure of countries that are really struggling. Last year, according to figures from the UNHCR, the USA had the highest number of asylum claims with over 83000 with the UK 5th at 27000.

Having said all that, personally speaking I think this country is at saturation point as there is not enough housing.

17/10/2013 at 17:54

We should take our fair share of Syrian refugees.

17/10/2013 at 17:54

I have now calculated our fair share.

None.

17/10/2013 at 18:06

Not that wikipedia is to be trusted on anything, but this makes interesting reading and is an interesting counter to the more Daily Mail-like pronouncements on here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_refugee_population

17/10/2013 at 18:11

Also worth looking at the Refugee Council mythbuster page...

http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/policy_research/the_truth_about_asylum

and in particular the bit about handouts

http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/policy_research/the_truth_about_asylum/facts_about_asylum_-_page_1

17/10/2013 at 18:13

And this is particularly interesting: About 80% of the world’s refugees are living in developing countries, often in camps. Africa and Asia between them host more than three quarters of the world’s refugees. Europe looks after just 15%.  (UNHCR Global Trends 2011).

17/10/2013 at 19:40

People have the right to claim asylum, for me the idea that we would send people back to face death/torture etc is disgusting.  

Then again Britain wasn't exactly welcoming to jews escaping Nazi persecution in the 1930s either.

17/10/2013 at 19:57

People have the right to claim asylum, for me the idea that we send people back to face death /torture etc is disgusting. 

My parents were economic refugees

My dad helped to build  houses for all the British people who had been Bombed

out during the second world war, my uncles  helped  build the sewers under Oxford,

My mum and her sister  worked in the local hospital.

I can't see a problem with looking after people, regardless of where they have fled from.

17/10/2013 at 20:00

and now  you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between us and the locals.

17/10/2013 at 20:17

I agree Paulie B, if I ruled the country I'd have an open door policy! All people should be free to travel not just the rich, if capital can be freely moved then so should labour.

17/10/2013 at 20:40
So we work our balls off to pay tax, so every work shy sponger can come here and claim asylum and get a blank cheque ?

I should sodding cocoa
seren nos yn canu    pirate
18/10/2013 at 07:58

this country was built from the money and goods we took from the countries around the world .the slave trade alone financed a number of buildings and sewer projects......and by force we went into many countries and robbed them of their natyral resources....and used the money to build our road, rail and universities

so maybe then instead of letting poeple in who the majority actually want to work and make a better life for themselves.....

maybe they should just take over the country by force and steal all our resources....

we want our great way of life to be preserved now........and we want all these rights etc.....if we paid back to the world what we stole then we would have nothing.....

and also if we sent home everyone that does not have their heriotage in this country more than 400 years...we would  then  have to accept all those from around the world whose ancestors came from the uk.........I think we would be the losers by far....

18/10/2013 at 08:09

I still can't get my head round why the want to come to the UK...

The UNHCR charter and EU law states a person should seek asylum in the first place they come ashore... So Italy or France or Germany,  But They seem to sit at places like Sangatte in France trying to get from France to the UK... Why

Cos we are so sodding soft, The Frogs chuck them back

18/10/2013 at 08:13

so many want to go to the UK because they have a better knowledge of the language.

we took the english language around the world when we went in and pillaged their country.....so not surprisingly they head here as they have the language needed.I bet that few head for the countries that didn't play world domination in the past......

and with tv form america going global then english is known in more and more countries...

If i was an asylum seeker or an economical migrant I would head for a country where i knew some of the language

18/10/2013 at 08:41

While I don't disagree with the essence of what you say about the British Empire (of which Syria was never a part BTW) do you honestly think that it's right to still be using that argument decades after most of the countries that were part of that empire achieved independence and have been entitled to decide their own destiny?

18/10/2013 at 09:02

they got independance but didn't get their wealth back....I just think that its easy to sit in our big warm houses with full bellies and state that we don't want the scroungers of the world coming here and maybe lowering our standard of living.

If we don't share out the wealth a bit more evenly then i wouldn't be suprised in coming decades when resources get scarcer that we don't get overtaken by countries who will use force to get want they want/ need...we did and thats ok.

we just want to draw a line in the sand now and say .. right everyone must now play nicely and deal with what they have.....now that we are all in relative luxury

18/10/2013 at 09:04

just as the working classes eventually stood up and said we are not prepared to live in poverty and hunger  whilst the upper classes got wealthier and wealthier.....and we want ahsare of that wealth.......( obviously will never get an equal share but enough so noone is starving )....

then eventaully the poor conutries of the world will stand up and say that they want a share in the worlds wealth .....and will take it 

18/10/2013 at 09:06

Why should I share the wealth with a Syrian refugee ????

21 to 40 of 71 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.