The Bible

Do you own one? And When was the last time you read it?

121 to 140 of 148 messages
29/03/2013 at 20:03

Indeed, a Sunday ruined.

The idea of having to believe in something irrational without question has potential for all sorts of mischief.

The source of some religious cults had no validity than the founder wanting a way of shagging hundreds of women.

29/03/2013 at 21:14
Lå®Ð䮧€ wrote (see)

When did screamapillar mention Margaret thatcher in relation to Christianity? 

He didn't. I don't know why you ask.

Screamapillar wrote (see)

As for children following their parents into atheism, well yes that happens, as does parents giving their children blind faith, and political views, its normal. There is a difference though in that atheists and agnostics tend  to reach their position through weighing up the evidence, unlike believers who are simply asked to believe.

That's exactly what I was going to say but you have already said it for me. My parents are Catholic.

Yes.. you, and many millions like you.  There are so many ironies and contradictions in this whole debate.  That's why I contributed to the thread. 

30/03/2013 at 01:15

So, what's the opinion of religious people on here regarding other peoples religions? How do christians on here view for instance Druids, Charles manson, or David Koresh, or the pantheon of Greek gods, Norse gods? I'm interested to know your opinion of worship directed at something other than the "big" 4 mainstream religions? 

Why have the older religions all but died out? At one time the ancient world was convinced, even more than many christians of the existence of their gods, and yet at some point those gods faded into history. Why was this? If a god absolutely exists, no doubt about it, and is omnipotent how can they just go...

Do you think the christrian god will still be worshipped in another 500 years? or a 1000? Or will there be something else to replace it? 

30/03/2013 at 07:31

Lets us hope its not Justin Biebar.

Probably something already has replaced the conventional religions: Google, Facebook, Twitter, Starbucks etc

30/03/2013 at 08:06
Lå®Ð䮧€ wrote (see)

So, what's the opinion of religious people on here regarding other peoples religions? How do christians on here view for instance Druids, Charles manson, or David Koresh, or the pantheon of Greek gods, Norse gods? I'm interested to know your opinion of worship directed at something other than the "big" 4 mainstream religions? 

Why have the older religions all but died out? At one time the ancient world was convinced, even more than many christians of the existence of their gods, and yet at some point those gods faded into history. Why was this? If a god absolutely exists, no doubt about it, and is omnipotent how can they just go...

Do you think the christrian god will still be worshipped in another 500 years? or a 1000? Or will there be something else to replace it? 

An Omnipotent god is a logical imposibility, the whole "i could create a rock so heavy that not even i could lift it" paradox. 

I think christianity will die out within 500 years globaly, but in the UK i cant see it lasting much beyond 100 years, other than in very small numbers,
Unlike in previous millenia though, I personally dont think it will be replace by a new major religion (there will always be smaller ones and cults) because we can explain the things that religion has always had to in the past, "who are we?. where id we come from?. who created the earth?. etc etc" 

30/03/2013 at 11:18

I'm not sure if it is in the bible, but the view always seems to suggest that god made Man in his own image - well having been reading a story this morning on interweb then god must be one ****ed up ******rd.

30/03/2013 at 11:27
Grendel3 wrote (see)

I'm not sure if it is in the bible, but the view always seems to suggest that god made Man in his own image - well having been reading a story this morning on interweb then god must be one ****ed up ******rd.

He certainly appears to have 'issues'.

30/03/2013 at 17:20

The notion that those with christian beliefs are a persecuted minority, as reported in the media today, is utter nonsense.  In the 2011 concensus only 30% of people claimed to be athiests/have no religion. Christians are hardly a minority.

If the christian Majority are feeling under pressure it is because their attitudes, towards women bishops and gay marriage, shows them up for the bigots that they are. 

30/03/2013 at 17:47

Personally I can't be arsed with all this religion, Bible study, god bollocks. I just accept that I'm brain damaged and use the modern solution of SSRI's and alcohol.

30/03/2013 at 23:46

WoW  I thought there was only 22 Forumites  in this Forum!

Edited: 30/03/2013 at 23:50
30/03/2013 at 23:53

Is Pope Francis l or Pope Benedict XV arel in Runnner's World House???  I would like you to share your views

31/03/2013 at 00:03
No, they are on fetch.
31/03/2013 at 09:25
You can't claim to be a persecuted minority when your leaders get automatic seats in the House of Lords. Just because the rest of us (and to be fair, a good proportion of your flock) don't want to be horrible to gay people doesn't mean we're persecuting you.
31/03/2013 at 10:35
room for improvement wrote (see)

In the 2011 concensus only 30% of people claimed to be athiests/have no religion. Christians are hardly a minority.

Yeah well, despite being an atheist, in the census I said I was a Jedi...

...because it's more cool.

Edited: 31/03/2013 at 10:36
31/03/2013 at 12:02

Pope Francis! what do you think the 'F' in RicF is?

Sorry, I thought you said Poop Francis.

Via my running I've 'shat out' all over the world.

On reflection its pretty much the same thing.

31/03/2013 at 12:13

For all you Middle Earth non-believers out there. If Bilbo Baggins doesn't exist, who wrote the Hobbit?

31/03/2013 at 19:17
Run Wales wrote (see)
Lå®Ð䮧€ wrote (see)

When did screamapillar mention Margaret thatcher in relation to Christianity? 

He didn't. I don't know why you ask.

Um ... I'm a  "she"  actually...

31/03/2013 at 19:40

Jim Bowen is the Pope.

31/03/2013 at 21:19

Will science one day prove/disprove  that god existed, by building a time machine and going back! 

01/04/2013 at 01:19

Some kids may think that  easter is about easter eggs but actually the meaning of Easter, for million of Christians, is that of honoring and recognizing Jesus Christ's resurrection from the dead, and His glorious promises of eternal life for all who believe in Him.

John 20:11-18

King James Version (KJV)

11 But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre,

12 And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.

13 And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him.

14 And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.

15 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away.

16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.

17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these things unto her.

121 to 140 of 148 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.