Do you own one? And When was the last time you read it?
Do you know the Bible is the best selling book in the entire world
It has been said that Anne Frank is second best selling book.
Why I wrote this thread because I think if we read the Bible a bit more this World would not be so messed up!
1. How many books are in the Bible? The Bible contains 66 books, divided among the Old and New Testaments.
2. How many books are in the Old Testament? There are 39 books in the Old Testament.
3. How many books are in the New Testament? There are 27 books in the New Testament.
4. What does "testament" mean? Testament means "covenant" or "contract."
5. Who wrote the Bible? The Bible was written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit by over 40 different authors from all walks of life: shepherds, farmers, tent-makers, physicians, fishermen, priests, philosophers and kings. Despite these differences in occupation and the span of years it took to write it, the Bible is an extremely cohesive and unified book.
6. Which single author contributed the most books to the Old Testament? Moses. He wrote the first five books of the Bible, referred to as the Pentateuch; the foundation of the Bible.
7. Which single author contributed the most books to the New Testament? The Apostle Paul, who wrote 14 books (over half) of the New Testament.
8. When was the Bible written? It was written over a period of some 1,500 years, from around 1450 B.C. (the time of Moses) to about 100 A.D. (following the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ).
9. What is the oldest book in the Old Testament? Many scholars agree that Job is the oldest book in the Bible, written by an unknown Israelite about 1500 B.C. Others hold that the Pentateuch (the first five books of the Bible) are the oldest books in the Bible, written between 1446 and 1406 B.C.
10. What is the youngest book in the Old Testament? The book of Malachi, written about 400 B.C.
11. What is the oldest book of the New Testament? Probably the book of James, written as early as A.D. 45.
12. What is the youngest book in the New Testament? The Book of Revelation is the youngest book of the New Testament, written about 95 A.D.
13. What languages was the Bible written in? The Bible was written in three languages: Hebrew, Aramaic, and Koine Greek.
14. When was the Bible canonized? The entire New Testament as we know it today, was canonized before the year 375 A.D. The Old Testament had previously been canonized long before the advent of Christ.
15. What does "canon" mean? "Canon" is derived front the Greek word "Kanon," signifying a measuring rod. Thus, to have the Bible "canonized" meant that it had been measured by the standard or test of divine inspiration and authority. It became the collection of books or writings accepted by the apostles and leadership of the early Christian church as a basis for Christian belief. It is the standard by which all Christians throughout the ages live and worship.
16. When was the first translation of the Bible made into English? 1382 A.D., by John Wycliffe.
17. When was the Bible printed? The Bible was printed in 1454 A.D. by Johannes Gutenberg who invented the "type mold" for the printing press. It was the first book ever printed.
18. What is the oldest almost-complete manuscript of the Bible now in existence? The Codex Vaticanus, which dates from the first half of the fourth Century. It is located in the library of the Vatican in Rome. There are older fragments of the Bible that are still preserved however-- the oldest being a tiny scrap of the Gospel of John was found in Egypt, dating back to the beginning of the second centur
19. What is the longest book in the Bible? The book of Psalms.
20. What is the shortest book in the Bible? 2 John.
21. What is the longest chapter in the Bible? Psalm 119
22. What is the shortest chapter in the Bible? Psalm 117
23. What is the longest verse in the Bible? Esther 8:9
24. What is the shortest verse in the Bible? John 11:35
25. Which book in the Bible does not mention the word "God?" The book of Esther.
26. Who was the oldest man that ever lived? Methuselah who lived to be 969 years old (Genesis 5:27).
27. Who were the two men in the Bible who never died but were caught up to heaven? Enoch, who walked with God and was no more (Genesis 5:22-24). Elijah, who was caught up by a whirlwind into heaven (II Kings 2:11).
28. Who does the Bible say was the meekest man in the Bible (not including Jesus)? Moses (Numbers 12:3).
29. How many languages has the Bible been translated into? The Holy Bible has been translated into 2,018 languages, with countless more partial translations, and audio translations (for unwritten languages). (This is an enormous amount of translations. In comparison, Shakespeare, considered by many to be the master writer of the English language, has only been translated into 50 languages.)
30. Is the Bible still the best-selling book in the world? Yes, indeed!
Exodus 20:2-17 http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/termsandcond.asp?sp=&v=1
Sorry Forumites I got into deep trouble with RW for quoting the 10 Commandments
In a nut shell - Exodous 20:2-17
Respect your parents
Keep out of trouble
Behave your self
Stop killing one other
Stop sleeping with different people
Don't be jealous of other people
Respect one other
Don't Bully others
Be a good role model
My favourite Bible text is and is shortest verse in the Bible is:-
Jesus wept John 11:35:
Some kid told me this one at Church when I was a wee nipper.
Any more favourite verse in the Bible? I'm all ears
Here is a great story http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+10%3A25-37&version=NIV
You must have been quite bored to have tapped that lot out karen.
I realise that some people are gripped by the Bible but really, anyone could have written anything that went in it. Its just a collection of thoughts, ideas and observations made by an agricultural society trying to make sense of their world.
Knowing what we all know now; or should, we could justly take all the posts of Kittenkat and call those the Bible. 2000 years on who's to know?
Bearing in mind that even 300 years ago people thought that lightening was thunderbolts from the Gods, vast tracts of the Bible is pure ignorance.
To continue to believe that the book still is the definitive answer to everything is just compounding ignorance. You may as well believe in UFO's and the Loch Ness Monster.
Agreed. And religion has caused more wars and misery than anything else in this world, just look around.
'God always fights on the side of the bad man, bad man, bad man'.
Name the song that came from.
Karen you scallwag.
Karen, I know the bible says that Methuselah was the oldest man that ever lived and to the ripe old age of 969, and I don't doubt that for a moment.....but does it mention how he funded his pension?
I've not made provision and on the basis that I may have to fund 900+ years I just wondered if there was any mention?
No I don't own a bible. I am an atheist.
Karen you really need to get out more.
I'm an atheist, so I don't own a bible. However, I think that anyone who is religious should be free to believe whatever they want, as long as it doesn't harm anyone else.
What does 'The Vicar' say?
I would love to read the bible but 'The Beano' and 'The Flashman Papers' are more my style
Do I own a Bible? - Yes somewhere , was a Christening present from my grandparents when I was a babyDo I read it? nopeDo I believe any of it? nope
I'm an atheist but I do own a Bible. You're still allowed!
Visit the official Runner's World page
Follow Runner's World on Twitter
Other Natmag-Rodale Sites
Run For Charity
About Runner's World
Runner's World is a publication of Hearst Magazines UK which is the trading name of The National Magazine Company Ltd, 72 Broadwick Street, London, W1F 9EP. Registered in England 112955. All rights reserved.
Website powered by: Immediate Media Company Ltd. | © Runner's World 2002-2014 |