"The Commonwealth Games are a bit shit"

41 to 50 of 50 messages
01/08/2014 at 06:03
Just because you use the word "undoubtedly" doesnt make something correct Bob. I was using the selected stat to show England did better at home in 2002 but being in GB didnt really impact Aus. Anyway I was saying we have got better and Aus in a relative decline.....which you say in a few more words
01/08/2014 at 09:08

Well, we'd need to look again at the end of the Games to make a final judgement. If a similar number of medals are awarded at this Games as in 2002, there's still another 100 or so golds to be awarded by my reckoning.

England are likely to end up with many more than 54 I would suggest, and Scotland (6 golds in 2002) are already on 14 this time round too with their direct boost from the home effect.

With many of those golds coming in sports that Aus have previously had great success in, then that will have a direct impact on their own haul.

And the hosting of the games in Manchester did actually impact Aus if you scratch the surface. Although they won the same number of golds (82) at both the 1998 and 2002 Games, that was 82 of 215 golds (38%) in Malaysia in 1998, and 82 of 282 golds (29%) in 2002. 

Anyway, I suspect where we do both agree, is that we hope that England at least maintain if not build on that current lead at the top of the table this round.

01/08/2014 at 10:49

Still a bit shit though

01/08/2014 at 12:07

I guess asking the fastest athlete ever, used to dominating both the athletes and the lime-light at the Olympics and who trains in the Jamaican sunshine what he thinks of the Commonwealth Games as he's waiting for a taxi in the rain in Glasgow is never going to elicit a great response!

It is a bit of a curate's egg mind....

02/08/2014 at 15:50

he just doesn't get it. being a bit shit is exactly what makes the games so brilliant.

04/08/2014 at 17:02
Big-Bad-Bob wrote (see)

I'd add the fact that although it's being hosted in Scotland, this is the next best thing to a 'home' Games for England and that always has a positive impact. Obviously lots of English supporters have made the short trip up to Glasgow, but it has been heartening to hear the local support for the English competitors, particularly in the individual events, which you feel you wouldn't see were it a team sport. Reassures me that despite the cross-border rivalry and political bickering, at an individual level a large number of Scots still see us as kin in the same way as I, and I'd like to think a majority of English folk, do them.

Absolutely.  Unless there was a direct Scotland/England head to head, the only time there was an "anyone but England" cheer was in the Rugby (in the events I was at).  And I suspect a part of that was the "underdog effect", where us Scots will cheer the team/person least likely to win, because we understand......

Given that there were 71 competing nations with 5,000 athletes at the CGs, and 204 nations with 10,400 athletes at the Olympics, including USA, China and Russia, it's a bit unfair to compare them.  All I know is that Glasgow was buzzing, I loved everything I saw and I hope the games come to Scotland again in my lifetime.

05/08/2014 at 15:50

as someone who can't walk past a village cricket match without stopping to watch for at least 10 minutes, this games were just..all about the Games. no showbiz charlies needed.

05/08/2014 at 17:59

I suppose the games were just about as successful as they could have benn but I still struggle with the concept of the Commonwealth Gmes. We don't have a games for countries who were under the Roman Empire or games for countries under Nazi Germany do we? Or the fomer Imperial Japanese Empire Games?

05/08/2014 at 19:51

Precisely the reason that the countries concerned dispensed with "British" and now just The Commonwealth Games Philomena.

It would not surprise me to find Japanese Empire Games of some sort hidden away e.g. Sumo wrestling, Judo, Karate, Kendo, Tai Chi,Whale fishing.

Countries under Nazi Germany are the European Championships are they not?

Countries under the Roman Empire didn't have sports did they? Chariots and gladiators are so last year! 

07/08/2014 at 18:37

FFS, Scotland is a (very) small country and we are never going to host the Olympics. Strip out the pish about who's allowed to compete and why, and what we had on our hands was a competitve forum for people to give of their best.

I went to the early rounds of badminton, and watched players from far-flung places that I could have beaten. But hey, they were there...representing their country. I would do that, given the chance.

On the one hand, I feel privileged to have witnessed Mr Bolt in my patch, doing what the greatest sprinter who ever...erm...sprant...does best. On the other, for me, one picture of Erraid Davies' smile is worth a thousand You-Tube videos of Bolt twatting about being Mr Athletico-Freddy-Mercury.

CW medal means little to him, but everything to many others.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 50 of 50 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.