"The Commonwealth Games are a bit shit"

1 to 20 of 50 messages
30/07/2014 at 11:52
For the "world class" athletes. I can imagine it's something they may think but would be afraid to say.
Like you said, many of us are glued to the screen as a many if the events are good to watch but a lot of the big name athletes seem to be missing either by injury or their countries not sending their "A" team, just look at who the Kenyans could have sent for their Marathon teams and could guarantee a gold medal but instead sent 3 much lesser known athletes.
30/07/2014 at 12:05

If you take part in an Olympic sport your main goal is always going to win an Olympic medal.

I daresay Commonwealth Games medals are nice to have but no-one takes up a sporting career to win one. A bit like the Carling Cup in football.

30/07/2014 at 12:09

It's all true, but everyone knows these aren't the Olympic or World championships, and that means that a lot of the best athletes won't be there either because they're not from a Commonwealth country or because they choose not to do it or their selectors try to give lesser athletes a chance. Having said that, it doesn't mean all the events are second-rate - clearly there are a lot of very good Kenyans in a lot of the running events, the Aussies are always excellent at swimming, both the English and the Aussies are good at cycling... and so on. It's a slightly weird fun event that allows some lesser athletes to get medals and some very tiny countries to take part in a major international event – and they should be taken as such.

30/07/2014 at 12:10

even India is up the medal table. Ergo its a bit shit

Edited: 30/07/2014 at 12:11
30/07/2014 at 12:20

Maybe he is disappointed that the Swedish volleyball team aren't competing.

30/07/2014 at 12:34

No it's not a bit shit unless all sport below the absolute pinnacle is a bit shit.  

If you only watch athletics at the Olympics, the only football matches you watch are the Chmpions League and World Cup finals, the only cycling the Tour de France and the only Tennis a grand slam final then I suppose the Commonwealths might be seen as poor fare but those people aren't really into sport just an occasion.   

30/07/2014 at 12:41

I suspect that from a sports fan perspective there's a bit of fatigue creeping in, post World Cup, Wimbledon etc. 

its still elite sport of course but it was never going to grab people like 2012

30/07/2014 at 12:45
popsider wrote (see)

No it's not a bit shit unless all sport below the absolute pinnacle is a bit shit.  

If you only watch athletics at the Olympics, the only football matches you watch are the Chmpions League and World Cup finals, the only cycling the Tour de France and the only Tennis a grand slam final then I suppose the Commonwealths might be seen as poor fare but those people aren't really into sport just an occasion.   

I think KK meant from the athlete's point of view  - given that the quote was attributed to a competitor. 

30/07/2014 at 12:57
For Usain Bolt the order of importance for him would probably be
Olympics
World Championships
Diamond League (probably pays very well)
Commonwealth Games.
30/07/2014 at 15:08

Athlete or spectator doesn't make much difference if his point was he's only interested in the biggest flashest competitions.   

30/07/2014 at 15:26

It seems clear the CWG is not the main priority for the top athletes and national teams but if the reactions they have when they do well is anything to go by, those competing are really enjoying it.

But after being dipped at the line by Ohuruogu at the Olympics, you'd have thought Montsho would have been better prepared this time!

Edited: 30/07/2014 at 15:27
30/07/2014 at 16:16

My OH said there was a radio program about it where the competitors in some of the poor countries in the commonwealth get to the games, and it's the equivalent of their Olympics. It's the biggest event they will ever take part in, these sports people are heros in their countries as a result of taking part in the CG. 

Also people like Steve Way.... You ask him how he feels about being at the CG representing his country.

30/07/2014 at 16:24

Read this....

http://www.steveway.co.uk/

Sh*t NO WAY

30/07/2014 at 16:24
I dont think anyone here is rubbishing the achievements of the people taking part.
30/07/2014 at 16:35

For an olympic champion I can imagine it's not exactly their biggest buzz....

30/07/2014 at 16:43

I agree that it is a good opportunity for up and coming atheletes to be given a chance on the world stage, but it doesn't diminish the enjoyment for spectators.

I am looking forward to the womens steeplechase tonight. Local athelete Pippa Woolven is competing for England. She recently set a new course record at my usual parkrun (Black park 28th june) and hammered everyone out of sight. Being Scottish I never thought that one day I would be cheering for England at the commomwealth games, but I guess that is progress.

30/07/2014 at 16:51
Don't worry. I found myself cheering on an Aussie on Sunday morning. That's never happened before.
30/07/2014 at 18:07

I wouldn't say shit. A bit Mickey Mouse maybe. The best events aree where the Austarlians, New Zealand, Canada and the home nations are strong uch as swimming or cycling but athletics have been very poor with not much competition for the Kenyans or The Jamaicans "B" teams

30/07/2014 at 18:46

popsider wrote (see)

Athlete or spectator doesn't make much difference if his point was he's only interested in the biggest flashest competitions.   

Nice attempt at a swerve there but I don't think it quite came off...

30/07/2014 at 18:49
Philomena Cunk wrote (see)

I wouldn't say shit. A bit Mickey Mouse maybe. The best events aree where the Austarlians, New Zealand, Canada and the home nations are strong uch as swimming or cycling but athletics have been very poor with not much competition for the Kenyans or The Jamaicans "B" teams

Not just athletics. I'm watching the diving and even knowing very little about it I can see that most of the guys competing are nowhere near the standard of those who were at the Olympics.

1 to 20 of 50 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.