The Conservatives back in 10 Downing Street.

201 to 210 of 210 messages
14/05/2010 at 11:52
I know the classic debate about nature versus nurture.  At heart Im a reductionist and woudl say that our genes predispose us to certain behaviours. But thats a debate for another time and place
14/05/2010 at 11:53

GA -that is the argument many make. They have trid to get into the Kung world view and argue that another culture can only be see in terms of its own world view. Their world view is "group orientated" and they are not alone.

If it was human nature to put individual over group it would be universal-surely?

14/05/2010 at 11:55
I would argue that it is.
14/05/2010 at 11:55

I am cautious Timeout about reductionism, even cultural believe it or not. What I do have a problem with is ethnocentricity when looking at society and failure to recognise that our view of nature is one of a thousand plus.

Jury will always be out for me due to this.

14/05/2010 at 11:57
GymAddict wrote (see)
I would argue that it is.

many do GA. We can only go by our own learning  nd analysis I guess.
14/05/2010 at 11:57
Just because an action is not identified by the do-er as being selfish does not mean that at it's heart it is not in the individuals best interest.

Sorry - have read 'the selfish gene' and was completely convinced. It would take a book of equal size and gravitas to convince me otherwise.

I guess I am also a bit swayed by our obviously opposing political views - you have made no secret of your viewpoint and it's fair to say that it is pretty different from mine
14/05/2010 at 11:59

I have read clips and lots of criticism of the "Selfish Gene" GA.  Anthropologists and Sociologists did give it a tough time.

ye I think we do differ but no reason why we cannot both be lovely is there?

14/05/2010 at 12:00
I think we are both exceedingly lovely
14/05/2010 at 12:01
14/05/2010 at 12:01
Have just read the wiki description of Liar's poker and it made me wince. yikes!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
201 to 210 of 210 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.