The evil person who moves the finishing line...............?

16 messages
19/08/2013 at 12:49

every time i run some race or marathon, it seems that there is some evil person in the place who moves the finishing line further and further as you are getting close to it.

Am I the only one who gets that impression?

"I'm sure it was here" i say to myself, but i look up and is a bit further...............then, i get there, but is just a bit further away.........

19/08/2013 at 13:08

Not quite - but all the races I run seem to have the finish line at the top of a slope or take you in a loop away from the finish just before the end.

The Cambridge Half is particularly cruel - you can see people crossing the finish when you still have 3 miles to go.

Cake    pirate
19/08/2013 at 13:26

It's me who does it I tell you and I would have gotten away with it if not for you medelling kids. mmmuuuaaaaarrrrrr!!!!!!

Lee the Pea    pirate
19/08/2013 at 14:55

Yeah, that marathon is called the Giant's Head marathon.....they tell you it 26.2 miles, but it actually longer

19/08/2013 at 14:58

I've done two 10 milers this year and on both the final mile seemed to take an eternity!

As for cruel races that take you by the finish line before the end - on the Great Welsh Marathon in Llanelli you pass close by and can see the finish at mile 8, 13 and then agonisingly at mile 21!

19/08/2013 at 15:08

I haven't seen this myself but I have marshalled on two-lappers, where my job was to crank up the hills for the second time around.

Cake    pirate
19/08/2013 at 15:16
Lee the Pea wrote (see)

Yeah, that marathon is called the Giant's Head marathon.....they tell you it 26.2 miles, but it actually longer

Evil cows

Trogs    pirate
19/08/2013 at 15:32

Worst offender of this type that I've come across is the Windsor Half. A straight last mile or so and the finsihing line defintely moves further away as you approach.  Either that or there's a travellator thing moving the wrong way under the tarmac path!

19/08/2013 at 18:17

Agree with you there Trogs. I've only done Windsor once and I definitely remember the mirage finish line experience!

19/08/2013 at 18:19
Muttley wrote (see)

I haven't seen this myself but I have marshalled on two-lappers, where my job was to crank up the hills for the second time around.

Were you at the Burnham Beeches half marathon yesterday doing that then Muttley?

19/08/2013 at 21:16

Muttley, now I know how it is that two lappers are one lap flat and one lap undulating! And the non-flat lap is always the second one.

19/08/2013 at 21:30

When I did the MK marathon in 2012 they adadd an extra 0.25 miles because of flooding.  Nice of them.

19/08/2013 at 23:06

Ah yes, the Windsor Half Mirage ... I too have seen it, shimmering in the far far distance.

Hi Andy - nope, couldn't do the Burnham this year, the train got cancelled.

20/08/2013 at 09:04

That's a b*gg*r then Muttley - I assume you found this out before you cycled to the station?

20/08/2013 at 09:09

Hellrunner in Delamere, you used to run up to the big blow up finish then find a fence that guided you up an enormous hill for another 3/4 mile.

Also whatever distance I run my head is programmed for, and I find the last half mile agony, whether is a 5k or a marathon  

20/08/2013 at 12:14

It's a distortion field created by the centifuagal force of runners all traveling at speed in one direction. This results in the miles getting longer as the race progresses. Because runners are traveling faster on shorter races the effect is similar to running more slowly over longer distances.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
16 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.