The future of organised religion?

41 to 58 of 58 messages
02/03/2013 at 13:12

Yeah, wars are conflicts between groups of people who perceive themselves as different and opposing. Religion can be one way for them to label themselves that way, but if it disappears, there will still be just as much conflict between groups, they will just label it differently. If they want that bit of land over there, they will soon find some way to justify their difference from the current occupants.

02/03/2013 at 13:16

Ja5onW - precisely the opposite, Religion has no place in an educated society, how can you believe the opposite to what science and logic tells you?

Seren - Religion gives extremists the belief that if they blow themselves up in this life they will be rewarded in the next.

Professional soldiers will always be there to go to war, a necessary evil.

Mikefrog - I ask the question WHEN organised religion goes, not if, it will undoubtedly be an extreme cult-like experience, I'm not sure what it will be, but there will be one.

seren nos    pirate
02/03/2013 at 13:22

organised religion will never go........it will just change direction......becuase in times or hardships people irrespective of their education turn to god..........

how many people who do not go to church will still pray when a loved one is ill........

religion is growing in all sectors n africa where there is real hardship...........if in the next century islam becomes a bigger and dominant force in europe then no doubt christianity will become more powlar again and will be used as a banner to fight back...

at the heart of it it is not the religions that are at fault...but extremists of all nature that might use religion...........without religion they will use other means......

if as in world war 2 if this country enlists everyday people to fight a war then people today will still sign up for their country and do their duty...............nothing to do with education or religion..........ifthey are told their way of life or families are in danger then they will still sign up

02/03/2013 at 13:28
seren nos wrote (see)

if as in world war 2 if this country enlists everyday people to fight a war then people today will still sign up for their country and do their duty...............nothing to do with education or religion..........ifthey are told their way of life or families are in danger then they will still sign up

I don't believe this to be true, I believe people would take arms to defend but would not take arms just to go to war at the whim of a government. Education has made people think, and there would be mass disobedience, another question, how would you motivate the expanding immigrant population to take arms for a country they actively despise

02/03/2013 at 13:29

We are a vastly different Country now

02/03/2013 at 13:54
EKGO wrote (see)

Mikefrog - I ask the question WHEN organised religion goes, not if, it will undoubtedly be an extreme cult-like experience, I'm not sure what it will be, but there will be one.

For most people?

Maybe the cult of celebrities?

I also think organised politics is rapidly losing its appeal, as fast as organised religion, in this country.

02/03/2013 at 13:54

EGKO i second you to that one, but isnt every country? most of the population in a country are not original decendants!

i totaly agree that in this day and age that religion has no part, being a strong atheist all my life i cant really understand religion and cannot see how a little understanding of 'evolution' hasnt already explained to christians that there is no god!!

but like Seren nos says people will cling on to whatever they can in dier needs!

02/03/2013 at 16:38
EKGO wrote (see)

Ja5onW - precisely the opposite, Religion has no place in an educated society, how can you believe the opposite to what science and logic tells you?

Seren - Religion gives extremists the belief that if they blow themselves up in this life they will be rewarded in the next.

Several years ago a friend of mine revealed that he'd become a Jehovah's witness.

This was an educated guy but was doing his best to convince me that science was just some sort of government conspiracy. That his was the way. Ironic considering the Guy who started the cult was a con artist.

So he pushed off to Devon and I ignored him for seven years. I don't deal in the irrational.

Lately however, a blog he writes indicated that sense had prevailed until a slip up revealed he was still in thrall to the nonsense.

OMG! Armageddon out of here.

Edited: 02/03/2013 at 16:39
kittenkat    pirate
02/03/2013 at 16:40
RicF wrote (see)
EKGO wrote (see)

Several years ago a friend of mine revealed that he'd become a Jehovah's witness.

This was an educated guy but was doing his best to convince me that science was just some sort of government conspiracy. That his was the way. Ironic considering the Guy who started the cult was a con artist.

So he pushed off to Devon and I ignored him for seven years. I don't deal in the irrational.

Lately however, a blog he writes indicated that sense had prevailed until a slip up revealed he was still in thrall to the nonsense.

So he's the one that was knocking on my door!

02/03/2013 at 16:55
kittenkat wrote (see)
RicF wrote (see)
EKGO wrote (see)

So he's the one that was knocking on my door!

If you live in Seaton and he was about 6' 3", that's the one.

kittenkat    pirate
02/03/2013 at 17:00

Exeter, very close!

02/03/2013 at 17:10

they always make me laugh when they thank me for opening the door to them 

02/03/2013 at 17:18

They don't call at my house anymore. Not for years.

Just mention that you are aware that Charles Taze Russell (their founder in America) was not just a charlatan but also a paedophile.

03/03/2013 at 01:10

What is the perceived difference between a cult and a religion?

Exactly the same thing in my book. 

03/03/2013 at 07:00

The religions and cults all have at their origins some guy with an ulterior motive who realises how gullible many people are.

These entities seem to gain a life all of their own. 

In America we see extreme examples of cults and religions. The founders of many of these have been proved to have quite sinister motives namely the aforementioned paedophile tendencies.

The real God in America is actually money. 

03/03/2013 at 14:07

As we lived in a technologically advanced era, the future of religion will be worshipping these electronic gadgets that fill our minds with crap and subliminally adevertise products to us.

Oh, wait a minute. We already have that. It's called the internet.

03/03/2013 at 14:29

High end science is very similar to organised religion in that very few people really understand such things as quantum mechanics, and it can't be seen, which leave's ordinary folk in the position of just having to "believe". 

They said:

From 1900:

"There is nothing new to be discovered in physics now. All that remains is more and more precise measurement" - Lord Kelvin

This was just before Einstein did his stuff. Now it's accepted that he's right, in a hundred years time they may discover something that makes high science today look like the cult of Einstein, because we're all wrong. 

03/03/2013 at 15:25

I think Billy Connolly summed it up best with his take on 'prophets'.

Just discovered some bastard has blocked it on utube.

The point is anyone can make-up a story about privately talking to God or a spirit or a demon, and so on. The fact that they only speak toYOU is telling – the whole thing is made up.

As BC said,  "So you talked to the angel did you, were there any witnesses? Noooo!, how f....ing convenient.

Edited: 03/03/2013 at 15:31

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 58 of 58 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.