The future of organised religion?

41 to 47 of 47 messages
02/03/2013 at 17:10

they always make me laugh when they thank me for opening the door to them 

02/03/2013 at 17:18

They don't call at my house anymore. Not for years.

Just mention that you are aware that Charles Taze Russell (their founder in America) was not just a charlatan but also a paedophile.

03/03/2013 at 01:10

What is the perceived difference between a cult and a religion?

Exactly the same thing in my book. 

03/03/2013 at 07:00

The religions and cults all have at their origins some guy with an ulterior motive who realises how gullible many people are.

These entities seem to gain a life all of their own. 

In America we see extreme examples of cults and religions. The founders of many of these have been proved to have quite sinister motives namely the aforementioned paedophile tendencies.

The real God in America is actually money. 

03/03/2013 at 14:07

As we lived in a technologically advanced era, the future of religion will be worshipping these electronic gadgets that fill our minds with crap and subliminally adevertise products to us.

Oh, wait a minute. We already have that. It's called the internet.

03/03/2013 at 14:29

High end science is very similar to organised religion in that very few people really understand such things as quantum mechanics, and it can't be seen, which leave's ordinary folk in the position of just having to "believe". 

They said:

From 1900:

"There is nothing new to be discovered in physics now. All that remains is more and more precise measurement" - Lord Kelvin

This was just before Einstein did his stuff. Now it's accepted that he's right, in a hundred years time they may discover something that makes high science today look like the cult of Einstein, because we're all wrong. 

03/03/2013 at 15:25

I think Billy Connolly summed it up best with his take on 'prophets'.

Just discovered some bastard has blocked it on utube.

The point is anyone can make-up a story about privately talking to God or a spirit or a demon, and so on. The fact that they only speak toYOU is telling – the whole thing is made up.

As BC said,  "So you talked to the angel did you, were there any witnesses? Noooo!, how f....ing convenient.

Edited: 03/03/2013 at 15:31

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 47 of 47 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.