The future of organised religion?

1 to 20 of 54 messages
kittenkat    pirate
26/02/2013 at 06:16

I'm not talking about individual faith and your own relationship or not with your chosen Deity. My question is simply what is going to happen to organised religion? The Catholic church lurches from one scandal to another, mostly to do with repressed (or not so) sexuality. As I run past my little CofE village church on a Sunday morning, I see a fragile frail old congregation tripping in and out...

Thoughts?

26/02/2013 at 06:25

The Opiate of the masses, it was used to keep the population in check, the simple concept that you were being watched and ultimately judged made people behave for centuries. Unfortunately as education creeps through a society the realisation dawns and religion dies.

What takes over needs to be a wider concept than just an almighty being, people find their own guides, Jedi is one of the most popular religions in the last census I believe, why not? maybe you could even start one of your own, the need is clear.

kittenkat    pirate
26/02/2013 at 06:27

If I started my own religion, surely I'd have to follow through and start some wars? It's gotta look realistic after all

26/02/2013 at 06:38

You're thinking old style, if you educate you remove the need for old style. An uneducated population can be persuaded to walk into a foreign country and kill people because it's God's will (actually ruler's will).

Apart from Professionally trained armed forces no educated country could conceivably raise an invading army.

Closest thing to new religion is sporting fanaticism

kittenkat    pirate
26/02/2013 at 06:41

Or celebrity culture fanaticism?

26/02/2013 at 06:49

Ok we're rolling, you can be the God person and I can be disciple number 1, or should we swap?

kittenkat    pirate
26/02/2013 at 06:58

I don't mind being God if I can still do bad things on occasion. I'll just keep them out of the press. Cos I'll own the press.

kittenkat    pirate
26/02/2013 at 06:58

And I see the role as interchangeable.

26/02/2013 at 07:04

But if you're the God, your bad things will be portrayed as good so it won't matter

26/02/2013 at 07:04

I'm seeing benefit here

26/02/2013 at 08:19

Depends which organised religion. Christianity is declining while Islam is growing.

As an atheist It doesn't bother me but I can see this causing a problem for future generations. 

26/02/2013 at 08:46

I'm saying nuttin....

26/02/2013 at 10:47
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
Screamapillar wrote (see)

Depends which organised religion. Christianity is declining while Islam is growing.

I disagree to a certain extent. You are correct in that Islam is growing, however all organised religions will die out in the next few hundred years, as mankind doesnt need the safety blanket of religion it once used to.

Islam however will be the last to go as its the most prevelant in the poorer nations and those nations with the poorest education will hang on to religion a lot longer. Religion in the western world is in its death throes.

You may well be right but I think it is going to be a painful process getting there.

In science and medicine, the Arab states were the most advanced in the ancient and early medieval world but they've not moved on since the Sunni/Shia schism. If  they haven't made peace with one-another now it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

26/02/2013 at 11:09
Screamapillar wrote (see)

Christainity will continue to decline and Islam will only decline once everywhere is educated above religion, it may take another 100 years but it will happen. It's what will follow religion that is the concern, the control afforded by religion will still be required, maybe Islam is moving towards being successful in being a different type of philosophy both religious and political, and could outlive Christianity that way.

WiB
26/02/2013 at 11:15

Don't mess with it too much, Anders Breivik tried to speed things along and look where it got him.

WiB
26/02/2013 at 11:19

Good point, the people historically responsible for making big changes, changes that were dramatic and affected whole populations were not necessarily good people. Nowadays that can't happen, we control that type of person effectively and so we may actually just drift aimlessly.

26/02/2013 at 11:47

one of the big issues here is the word organised. It highlights one of the key issues with large political organisations too -they are impossible to control.

Obama will find it impossible to implement the healthcare bill/control the gun laws in america because he isn't a president of a country so much as a loosely-tied assortment of states. It is just too difficult to organise. Too many variables.

Same with religion. Too many groups. schisms to come to any sort of consensus on the big issues.

one of the reasons communism didn't work (apart from the fact that it was stupid)...it was just too difficult to organise.

26/02/2013 at 11:55

i must admit I am generally in agreement with professor dawkins, although much more politely

26/02/2013 at 12:09

People will always need to feel a sense of superiority or importance. Racism and bigotry will always need nationalism and religion to feed on. It will never die out.

Education and intelligence have nothing to do with it.

26/02/2013 at 12:15

Education is the fundamental reason Christianity died out, Racism and Bigotry will also die out as we educate people beyond basic human instinct, and don't confuse education with intelligence, the two are not linked 

1 to 20 of 54 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.