The Ghost Runner - John Tarrant

Just finished reading the book....

21 to 27 of 27 messages
21/02/2013 at 09:48

I've read many runig books about ultra runners (Scott jurek, dean karnes, Born to Run, etc).  all these super-mega-ultra guys seem to have "loner" traits to their personalities but they have physical ability I could only ever dream of (I get injured when I up the miles, these guys seem to never be injured!).  Having said i do enjoy reading their stories as they all reveal their inner battles we all have.

without wanting to sound too harsh, John Tarrant's myth is maybe bigger than his actual ability - against the top runners his illnesses generally stopped him short.  If he ever got to run for GB in the Olympics it seems he wouldn't have finshed near the top.  I also have to agree the comments above above the unbelievably selfish attitude to his own life to the detriment of his family, some things are more important than running...

at the end I can't believe how snooty the amatuer/professional debate was at the time, aren't we lucky today.   

21/02/2013 at 11:29
I could, but my own values mean I don't, anyone who fails to put family first is not going to earn my respect
24/02/2013 at 22:40

I was very touched by this fabulous read, very sad at the end. yes, we all know how his family was not put first, how most of the time he was very selfish, but im sure alot was to do with his childhood.

25/02/2013 at 11:12

I`ve not finished it. I gave up finding the writing style suffered because the author didn`t know the subject (Tarrant). I might try and go back to it. I much preferred Jurek`s book and the Murikami one. Thought Born to Run was too full of US macho bullcrap, to coin a phrase.

25/02/2013 at 21:44

Nick - yeah, I must read `Clouds`. Sounds good.

26/02/2013 at 10:07

+1 for feet in the clouds, best running book I've read
-1 for Murikami, possibly the worst running book I've read...
can recommend barefoot runner , about Bikila

26/02/2013 at 11:24

Quite liked both of those, Feet in the Clouds particularly, and even though I agree about Born to Run (possibly written with a tour of after dinner speaking in mind) I enjoyed it all the same

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.