The Mercy Rule

Protecting our young or.....

21 to 21 of 21 messages
gingerfurball    pirate
30/01/2009 at 19:56
Wilkie wrote (see)

On the other hand, when I was a kid we were told that it was the taking part that counted - but we were still encouraged to try our best.  They're not mutually exclusive.

After all, I take part in many races with no hope of winning - should I give up?

It's interesting....my hubby and I were both (as children) champions in our various sports (me: gymnastics, judo and running - believe it or not! and he: football, karate and boxing) and our children have always been very sporty and in the top level in competition (here in NI) so therefore we went down the "you can do it and win" line.  if they didn't win (to be honest that didn't happen too often and if it didn't they still were in the top three) we probably would have pushed the all inclusive thing.

Maybe it's a genetic thing.  (hmmmm nature/nurture discuss!!)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 21 of 21 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.