WildWill    pirate
13/09/2002 at 09:17
Magician BY Raymond E. Fiest - Marvellous escapism at least 10 times

And when I was a kid I read “The lion, witch and wardrobe” over and over

Will
13/09/2002 at 09:30
The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien

Demain by Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse

Must do some work now!! (the greatest fiction of them all...)
Iron SwissBobby    pirate
13/09/2002 at 09:33
To Serve Them All My Days RF Delderfield
13/09/2002 at 09:33
Puckoon by Spike Milligan

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (I see we have a forumite called "Yossarian" - presumably another fan of this mighty work!)
13/09/2002 at 09:42
Flanaghans Run.....brilliant !!!! About a foot-race across America during the time of the Depression.Tom McNab is the author.Fantastic story, and really believable characters...supposedly based on an actual event that did take place. He also wrote " The Fast Men ". Not quite as good as his first, but very readable. If ever you feel you need motivation for a marathon....this is the book to get you in the mood. Read it 7 times, bought it 4 times. !!!!!
13/09/2002 at 09:55
Not careless....just bought it again after disposing of it earlier. Some to friends, some to Charity collectors.Never once begrudged the expense.....yes, the story is THAT good.
13/09/2002 at 10:03
The Sirens of Titan - Kurt Vonnegut, very funny, very sad, very very good :-)
13/09/2002 at 10:04
Brighton Rock by Graham Greene

Lord of the Flies I have read a few times but being a standard GCSE text and my wife being an English teacher it's hard to escape from.

I simply didn't get Catch 22. But perhaps that reflects more on me than the book.
13/09/2002 at 10:05
Lord of the Rings, at least twenty times during my teenage angst years.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance ten times plus, in the hope that one day I'll understand it all.

Also read Flanaghans run in a 'condensed' version (one of those bizarre readers digest books) years ago and thought it was a damn good read, but never got round to buying the 'real' book. Waterstones, here I come.....
13/09/2002 at 10:08
Nabokov's Lolita, which will probably convince you all I'm a perv. Wonderfully written, hard to believe he wasn't writiing in his native language.
13/09/2002 at 10:09
"HMS Ulysses" by Alistair Maclean is one I've gone back to more than once. Most recently to compare & contrast with factual accounts of the Russian Arctic convoys e.g. Irving's "The Destruction Of Convoy PQ17"
BK
13/09/2002 at 10:19
Lord of the Rings
13/09/2002 at 10:27
Wasp Factory by Iain Banks never ceases to amaze me.
13/09/2002 at 10:27
In those pre-internet pre-Email days when you could spend half a day (or all night) reading a book without feeling like you'd missed out on anything.
BK
13/09/2002 at 10:28
Running after Orcs across the plains of Rohan sets a good example for marathon running.

Its just such a good book
13/09/2002 at 10:33
I would need a whole day to compile my list! I'm a voracious comfort-reader and have revisited the same things again and again over the years. Les Miserables, The Brothers Karamazov and The Mists of Avalon are probably top of my falling-apart-from-overuse novels, but I come back to most things eventually.

The fact that I also buy them all and keep them may not help the situation. I look on it as an investment - Kevin and Angelmouse are both book-guzzlers too, so they'll never have to complain about having nothing to read.
13/09/2002 at 10:47
Imajica by Clive Barker - a sort of sci-fi-fantasy love story....

Also the Otherland series (4 volumes) by Tad Williams
13/09/2002 at 10:52
Most read .. The Dark .. Stephen King .. first read when I was about 11 .. could hardly understand the big words .. that is what started my habit of always having a dictionary close by... But it scared me half to death .. now read most of his books.

Does anyone do the same with films? I have the 4 Lethal Weapon videos .. nothing on the TV ... mmmmm which one tonight ...
Need to get a life !!
13/09/2002 at 10:55
Mort, Witches Abroad, The Truth etc. etc.

My son's English teacher confiscated 'The Scence of the Discworld' and called Terry Pratchett 'a sad man in a big hat'. My son lends our Terry Pratchett books to his RE teacher. Guess which subject my son enjoyed more.
13/09/2002 at 11:01
The Forgotten Soldier - Guy Sajer

I bought it at gatwick airport about twenty years ago and I still have it, usually gets read about once per year. A harrowing account of a teenagers time in the losing German Army on the Eastern Front. No glory, just friendship, trust and fear.
1 to 20 of 59 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.