The Prison System.

1 to 20 of 33 messages
14/04/2013 at 18:33

No experience of it, just had experience of people who have worked with it. Clearly it doesn't work, it neither punishes or reforms and it doesn't act as a deterrent.

There are people living in prison who want to be there because they can't cope with the outside world. The prison system is doing nothing for these people. They either need help 're'habilitaing or they need a closed community that offers them the security they need. - OK, I know that's only a minority of prisoners but it's a significant number.

As for criminals, those who repeatedly offend and couldn't careless, well prison and the threat of prison doesn't work. I know some people who think they are clever for commiting their crimes and really don't see the harm that they are doing. Small time crooks trying to big themselves up. 

14/04/2013 at 18:37
Just ship all the criminals to the other side of the world... There must be a big expanse of land no one wants...
14/04/2013 at 18:57

If they were locked up for longer, they'd not be able to rob/burgle/assault/steal pension money/etc.....

14/04/2013 at 19:01

och i don't know

14/04/2013 at 19:03

i think prisoners should go through more shawshank-style revelatory experiences.

14/04/2013 at 19:03

and i don't mean getting bummed.

14/04/2013 at 19:07
Community service all the way. Not for me. I'm an upstanding pillar of the community.

Prison doesn't work. And most people shouldn't be in there.

Been to a few. Not pretty. And beggars belief that some people prefer life in there than life outside.
14/04/2013 at 19:10

food's not bad. well better than in schools anyway..

14/04/2013 at 19:11
I thought a criminal record was compulsory for entry into Australia anyway?
14/04/2013 at 19:16
Kittenkat: yes, and that's sad isn't it. It still beggars my belief.
14/04/2013 at 20:48

I remember watching a series where one awkward prisoner would go on a dirty protest whenever he didn't get his own way. He would be removed from his cell and given a hot shower while another lag got the pleasure of cleaning the shite up despite the fact he was only out of his cell doing various cleaning duties because of good behaviour? (takes deep breath).

Prison doesn't work but god knows what would?

14/04/2013 at 20:55
Sad, sad all the way.

As a social worker, I always say the people who manage the funding/running of prisons should also be the people who manage the funding/running of child protection services. More often than not, those children in care are the ones who enter prisons. If we only got resources in early enough to help them, perhaps people wouldn't smear their shit across their cells to try and stay there. But what do I know......
14/04/2013 at 21:39

Prisoners should be in the old folks homes where non-english speaking people give them little dignity, whilst the old people wshould have their own cell with satellite TV, three meals a day with all the medical care in the world on tap.

Also anyone smearing shite on the wall I'd make them eat it off before shooting them

14/04/2013 at 21:57
Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

Prisoners should be in the old folks homes where non-english speaking people give them little dignity

or it could be that the non english speaking people come from a culture that still respects the elderly and its the home side that think looking after the elderly is just a chore

14/04/2013 at 21:57

Prison, as it is currently used, doesn't work. Too many people who are not a danger to anyone clog up the system meaning there is no capacity or resources to work with the dangerous risky offenders, which should be the focus of rehabilitative effort inside.

But how is this going to get my marathon time down to 4 hrs?

14/04/2013 at 22:16

It clearly doesn't work on the people who are in there.

It's hard to know whether it has a deterrent effect on the people who aren't (but otherwise would be) if you see what I mean.

15/04/2013 at 10:52

Human rights gets in the way, with all due respect this was well-intentioned and designed to improve the likes of poorly treated prisoners where legal and health concerns are being ignored, but is hyjacked and used to continually improve our jail hotels.

Prisoners should exit hoping never to be put there again

15/04/2013 at 12:43

Prisons are far too cushy and are no deterrent at all to criminals.  What they should do is remove all perks i.e. tv's, pool tables, gaming machines etc and put them to work, doing menial tasks in order that they earn their keep.  Something like the American chain gangs would be good.  I for one am sick and tired of paying my taxes to support these scumbags and anyone who says 'oh, but it's slave labour' - well yes, it is, and that is all they deserve after commiting crimes which make prison the only punishment.  And if the prisoners don't like it, well there's always being locked up in their cells all day - why should they have any freedom?  They have broken the law and they don't deserve the same freedoms that law abiding citizens have.

As for young offenders institutes, take their gaming facilities away, provide them with books to read, not electronic gadgets, make life a little bit less comfortable and make them work too - this would promote a work ethic that these children are not taught at any point in their lives.  It might teach them that you have to work to earn a living, not scrounge off the state or turn to a life of crime.  And yes, I have seen inside one of these institutes when I was working for a local Council - they are far too comfortable and have living conditions far better than many law abiding parents can afford to provide for their kids!

GRRRRR - Rant over!

15/04/2013 at 13:30

i have no insight into why prisons are seemingly ineffective, but they are. Sure, they meet one objective, in removing individuals from society, to prevent them from committing crime for the duration of their incarceration, but given that reoffending rates are 50% (i.e. more than half of people who have been to prison are not sufficiently deterred or rehabilitated to stop them commiting further crimes when released) it's neither a deterrent or a particularly effective punishment.

If costs are a concern we could be more draconian, save a few bob just by chucking them naked into a pit until they eat each other or starve, but it wouldn't say much about how confident we are of maintaining a civil society if the way we deal with criminals is to write them off. Seems a bit short termist, even blinkered not to try to understand the link between social and economic conditions and crime. I don't believe that every one of the 90,000 people in prison in England and Wales are helpless cases that should be locked away until their last breath. Some of them certainly are, but all 90,000 of them? Really?

15/04/2013 at 13:50

Has anyone ever been in jail? what a great thread that would make

1 to 20 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.