The Prison System.

1 to 20 of 40 messages
kittenkat    pirate
14/04/2013 at 18:15

Should it be punishment or reform, and does it ultimately work? Anyone had any experience of it from either being in trouble or working in a prison, or visiting relatives/friends in prison?

14/04/2013 at 18:33

No experience of it, just had experience of people who have worked with it. Clearly it doesn't work, it neither punishes or reforms and it doesn't act as a deterrent.

There are people living in prison who want to be there because they can't cope with the outside world. The prison system is doing nothing for these people. They either need help 're'habilitaing or they need a closed community that offers them the security they need. - OK, I know that's only a minority of prisoners but it's a significant number.

As for criminals, those who repeatedly offend and couldn't careless, well prison and the threat of prison doesn't work. I know some people who think they are clever for commiting their crimes and really don't see the harm that they are doing. Small time crooks trying to big themselves up. 

14/04/2013 at 18:37
Just ship all the criminals to the other side of the world... There must be a big expanse of land no one wants...
kittenkat    pirate
14/04/2013 at 18:42
RicF wrote (see)

Who knows?

After all, some time after Oliver Cromwell's death his corpse was dug up and 'hanged'.

David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Oh God, why do you always ask controversial topics that will get people all worked up?

Because as God, i'm allowed to do that.

kittenkat    pirate
14/04/2013 at 18:44

Plus I get bored of sitting up here flicking Catholic priests off my cloud. (And that wasn't a euphemism)

kittenkat    pirate
14/04/2013 at 18:52
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
Just ship all the criminals to the other side of the world... There must be a big expanse of land no one wants...

North Korea is pretty popular right now, cramped conditions and melodramatic rhetoric, but just imagine you're watching King Lear behind a pillar in a budget seat, after a few pints.

Anyway Australia is busy being the only warm place left on earth, so it's my holiday home of favour. I don't want a bunch or criminals running round spoiling things, so I've banned politicians, either dead or alive. Let's clean up this shit.

Edited: 14/04/2013 at 18:53
14/04/2013 at 18:57

If they were locked up for longer, they'd not be able to rob/burgle/assault/steal pension money/etc.....

14/04/2013 at 19:01

och i don't know

14/04/2013 at 19:03

i think prisoners should go through more shawshank-style revelatory experiences.

14/04/2013 at 19:03

and i don't mean getting bummed.

14/04/2013 at 19:07
Community service all the way. Not for me. I'm an upstanding pillar of the community.

Prison doesn't work. And most people shouldn't be in there.

Been to a few. Not pretty. And beggars belief that some people prefer life in there than life outside.
14/04/2013 at 19:10

food's not bad. well better than in schools anyway..

kittenkat    pirate
14/04/2013 at 19:10
kaffeeg wrote (see)

Been to a few. Not pretty. And beggars belief that some people prefer life in there than life outside.

They get the basics of food, warmth, clothing and routine. For some that is much better than what they have on the outside. It's all relative.

14/04/2013 at 19:11
I thought a criminal record was compulsory for entry into Australia anyway?
14/04/2013 at 19:16
Kittenkat: yes, and that's sad isn't it. It still beggars my belief.
kittenkat    pirate
14/04/2013 at 19:17
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Plus the other benefit with Australia is that Australians are one of the brightest and most intelligent set of people I know.

I used to work in a High School in Australia that had an open area for assembly or any whole school gathering; in the middle of which was a big tree which someone had spray painted FUCK on. No-one ever thought to remove that word, so ergo you may be right.

kittenkat    pirate
14/04/2013 at 19:20
kaffeeg wrote (see)
Kittenkat: yes, and that's sad isn't it. It still beggars my belief.

I remember seeing a very disturbing documentary about the prison system where they followed a few low level but persistent offenders. There was one homeless guy who they declared sane and so he didn't get psychological help; yet whenever he was going to be released he undertook a 'dirty protest', yes smearing his shit all over his cell.

They would release him and then he would commit yet another public order offence to get back inside.

14/04/2013 at 20:48

I remember watching a series where one awkward prisoner would go on a dirty protest whenever he didn't get his own way. He would be removed from his cell and given a hot shower while another lag got the pleasure of cleaning the shite up despite the fact he was only out of his cell doing various cleaning duties because of good behaviour? (takes deep breath).

Prison doesn't work but god knows what would?

14/04/2013 at 20:55
Sad, sad all the way.

As a social worker, I always say the people who manage the funding/running of prisons should also be the people who manage the funding/running of child protection services. More often than not, those children in care are the ones who enter prisons. If we only got resources in early enough to help them, perhaps people wouldn't smear their shit across their cells to try and stay there. But what do I know......
14/04/2013 at 21:39

Prisoners should be in the old folks homes where non-english speaking people give them little dignity, whilst the old people wshould have their own cell with satellite TV, three meals a day with all the medical care in the world on tap.

Also anyone smearing shite on the wall I'd make them eat it off before shooting them

1 to 20 of 40 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.