The Right To Bear Arms In America Is Detrimental To Society.

Discuss.

1 to 20 of 32 messages
16/04/2013 at 20:17

I think that the right to bear arms has turned the average American in to a gun toting, wannabe Rambo. You only have to look at some of their 'home defence' videos on Youtube to see what I mean.

Write a comment on their Youtube video and they'll call you a British pussy or a British faggot who's scared to protect their property.

The irony is that our strict gun laws mean that the UK murder rate is much lower than America's, but I suppose that Americans just don't understand the concept of irony.

seren nos    pirate
16/04/2013 at 20:35

did you read last week that a 4 yr old killed his 6 yr old friend by shooting him in the head with a .22 cal rifle...........

where on earth does a 4 yr old get his hands on one and know how to fire it...

i know it was probably not meant to kill but why on earth do they live like this

16/04/2013 at 20:46
Americans are stupid!

Their ancient law isn't fit for modern society, every nutter can get a gun, that's why the murder rate is so high!

Some of the shocking videos show kids being taught how to shoot a gun!

You can even buy guns for the smaller generation. Funny thing is the Americans think its brilliant!!
cougie    pirate
16/04/2013 at 20:48
They even do small guns in pink to appeal to little girls. Bizarre.
16/04/2013 at 21:25

what can any of us possibly have to say on this issue that hasn't already been said

kittenkat    pirate
16/04/2013 at 21:37

I'm fucking bored already. Nothing against the OP, just I post on American sites and this has been done to death (see what I did there?).

And believe me, if you could inject the `runners wearing Ipods' threads with Kryptonite,  whilst injecting heroin into your spleen because there are no veins left (has anyone ever tried that? I diverge). Eat sprouts without throwing up AND buy a little pink gun as a 6ft 5 marine...

You are probably a hero.

17/04/2013 at 08:40
Not sure that 'Average American' is a particularly useful term.
Also, detrimental to whose society: American, British, or global?
17/04/2013 at 08:54
seren nos wrote (see)

did you read last week that a 4 yr old killed his 6 yr old friend by shooting him in the head with a .22 cal rifle...........

where on earth does a 4 yr old get his hands on one and know how to fire it...

i know it was probably not meant to kill but why on earth do they live like this

I was teaching my 5 year old girl to shoot a .22 air rifle last week, the week before I made her a real bow from a piece of yew, i had the same experiences as a child, seems perfectly normal to me, it's what you in the country.

The American experience is the same but on a grander level. I do think it's crazy they can own .5 cal browning machine guns, but to them it's like someone from the government saying you can't learn your mums cake recipe, handed down for generations, because Mr Kipling has just bought the rights to friut cake!

17/04/2013 at 09:00

Who cares ..... Americans shoot a bunch of kids, Americans get outraged ..... then Americans do nothing about it. Let them get on with it.

Or I'll put it this way ....... if someone sticks their hand in the oven and gets burnt I might show some sympathy ...... if they keep doing time and again refusing to learn the lesson from last time, my sympathy begins to wane.

Edited: 17/04/2013 at 09:01
17/04/2013 at 09:07

That's true.

But then it's the same gun ho culture in America that leads them to charge into third world countries with tanks, advanced fighter bombers, drones, cruise missiles, kevlar vests and gatlin guns against peasents armed with pea shooters and rags on their heads.

If the culture in america was removed then maybe they wouldn't go around killing innocent people everywhere in othre countries? And maybe then those countries without the firepower of the states wouldn't seek revenge?

17/04/2013 at 09:21

Every empire the world has ever seen has always crumbled, America's turn is coming.

17/04/2013 at 09:23

More to the point why are people in this country not allowed to defend themselves?

The Americans see our laws as being a bit bizarre;

http://www.naturalnews.com/037166_self_defense_homeowners_violent_criminals.html

As far as I am concerned if you want to help yourself to my stuff then there may be a price to pay....

17/04/2013 at 09:27

SideBurn - When you up the ante, so do the burglars ........ so instead of your car keys being nicked which you have insurance for, suddenly it becomes a 50/50 contest with your life.

Not quite the odds I would be willing to play with.

17/04/2013 at 09:29

Well then they should rob you, not me then

17/04/2013 at 09:52

The only conclusion that I can reach is that American society as a whole feels that the occassional massacre of schoolchildren is a fair price to pay for the right to pose like Robert DeNiro in the mirror.

17/04/2013 at 11:47

...and they keep banging on about their 2nd Amendment rights

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

which is fair enough, if you're part of a 'well regulated militia'  Jefferson never mentioned the bullied loners and the nutcases who believe the UN are coming to invade who've hoarded semi-automatics.

Of course we have something similar in the UK, but I've never been pulled up by the law for not practising with a longbow on the Sabbath, and I've never felt the threat level required it. 

17/04/2013 at 12:48

thats exactly the point Dicky M its a law that was written when no-one had the money to hoard a load of AK's and grenades ready for Armegeddon!

Our current law states that we can defend our property with force if needed but only if the culprit is facing us and we assume violence is going to take place.

Americans threaten you with a shotgun to the face if you stand on their grass!!

17/04/2013 at 13:16

The problem with letting citizens have the right to bear arms is that the criminals then feel the need to turn up to your house 'tooled up'. This in turn makes the householder even more fearful and likely to pull the trigger to defend themselves.

What if that intruder that you shoot is a police officer who's followed a burglar in to your house, or you don't realise that the ground floor of your house is on fire, and the intruder that you shoot happens to be a fireman who's broken in to save your life?

If everyone owns a gun, it makes the situation much more dangerous. At least here in the UK we have a proper licencing system. It allows those that have a good reason to own a gun, but has a strict screening process. Much better than letting any nutter own an AK47.

17/04/2013 at 15:02

The problem in this country is that you are not allowed to defend yourself; you are expected to just stand there and get beaten up and robbed even against armed robbers; from the American site above (which is referenced to the Daily Telegraph),

"In 2009, millionaire businessman Munir Hussain fought back against a  knife-wielding intruder with a metal pole and cricket bat; the burglar had tied  up his family at their Buckinghamshire home.

For daring to defend himself  and his family, Hussain was jailed for more than two years, though his attacker  was spared prison.

Lucky for Hussain he eventually got an understanding  judge who reduced his sentence to one year in jail, which was suspended".

Why was this guy jailed when the burglar walked free? Since when was it legal to break into someone's house, armed with a knife and attempt to rob them? 

The villains in this country know that the law is a soft touch and they can do what they want; they don't bother with guns because the law will protect them! 

David Cameron goes on about people carrying knives should expect to go to prison; the reality is that they know they will get away with it time and time again.

17/04/2013 at 15:25

This is a bit more like it;

http://road.cc/content/news/74553-oxfordshire-cyclist-fights-bike-thieves-four-them

Presumably even our f***ed up legal system could not find fault with someone fighting off four thugs armed with an iron bar...

Or maybe the thugs did not realise that if they went crying to the Police, the cyclist would have been locked up and presumably sued for their injuries ie they were so badly injured and traumatised that they were unable to attack anyone for weeks.

Apparently this was the second time a cyclist had been attacked by four men with an iron bar, but their first victim was a child....

1 to 20 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.