The school lunch police

1 to 20 of 30 messages
11/02/2013 at 17:56

Is this the story about proposing to ban packed lunches?

11/02/2013 at 18:05

At work when there are donuts cakes and biscuits around I eat them....When they are not I don't.

I don't think its a bad thing to remove shite food from school. 

I think the point is that obese kids don't do moderation! If you allow yours some foods in moderation then at least you can continue to control what they eat.

11/02/2013 at 18:09

I hope it doesn't happen, little C wouldn't eat anything off the school's menu and is already borderline underweight.  At least with the packed lunch I know he will eat it....when they give the kids enough time and aren't shooing them off out!

11/02/2013 at 18:13

When I was a governor of a school one of the teachers said they should confiscate lunch boxes if they contained "bad" food. When I asked what she would think if I confiscated her lunch because I disapproved of it I was accused of being a fascist. To which I replied "Snap". The head got the message and it wasn't raised again.

11/02/2013 at 18:16

I don't know the lunch box story I am only talking about food they serve up to children.

11/02/2013 at 18:19

FP, the story is that they propose banning packed lunches so all children will have school lunches instead.  Least that's what I think was on the news earlier.

11/02/2013 at 18:19

Educate the parents, for the most they are the ones controlling the packed lunches.

Banning certain foods may be the only way ahead. I don't think banning packed lunches will change which kids are overweight and which kids are not.

When I had school dinners I would do anything not to eat them. This involved hiding at lunch time or sitting next to the fattest kid in the school and giving them my lunch. That was in the days when kids were forced to eat everything on the plate. No wonder I grew up with an eating disorder.

11/02/2013 at 18:21
11/02/2013 at 18:29

Thanks Cinders I don't agree with banning packed lunches.

11/02/2013 at 18:30

Me neither FP

KK, know that feeling.  It's a long battle trying to get the little fella to try things.  Sauce is complete devil spawn to him!!!

11/02/2013 at 18:31

I still can't eat liver after being forced to clear my plate at school

11/02/2013 at 19:48

For my sins I work as a teaching assistant, and I am also in charge at lunchtimes (get me!).  Some of the lunch boxes I see are just wonderful and wish their parents would pack me one - really tasty, healthy and delicious.  Some kids get cold chips from the night before.  They all survive, they are all happy tucking into whatever they have.

Usually looks better than what is being served as hot lunch 

11/02/2013 at 20:51

Yuk to the cold chips HTF!  What sorts of things are in the nice ones, I'm always after ideas

12/02/2013 at 09:03
kittenkat wrote (see)

why should my perfectly healthy weight kids be taught that some foods are bad (by them not being allowed in school), rather than everything in moderation, which makes much more sense.

Is it not true that some foods (well, I am thinking particularly of drinks) actually ARE bad?

12/02/2013 at 10:47

I didnt used to mind school dinners too much and it certainly taught you to eat most things except i had to draw the line at the blancmange with the skin on top

12/02/2013 at 10:55

Ahh great ban packed lunches and make them eat the horsemeat bolodnaise instead. As thats the level of produce that most state schools can afford to use in their school lunches.

I own horses and I'm not against people eating horses, but when it's not even supposed to be that meat what are the chances that it was even fit for human consumption in the first place?

Sorry off topic, rant really. I hated school dinners as a kid too, my packed lunch was ham sandwich a packet of crisps, and a chocolate bar. Two thirds of which would be banned now a days but I was never over weight then.

JvR
12/02/2013 at 13:16

About the only thing mine will eat from the school menu is fish and chips, pizza and baked potato. He only has a meal about once a week and usually if we are doing something in the evening which means we wont be cooking meal.

If they plan on banning lunchboxes then I'd like to know how much the schools will plan on charging for a meal, is the price going to remain the same, go up, go down even.

I'd also be interested to see how the schools plan to handle hundreds of youngsters needing to be fed within the space of a couple of hours, with the size on the canteen at my son's school that will be an incredible challenge.

12/02/2013 at 13:26

School lunches at our place are great and healthy, and I eat them every day. You would be amazed at how many young people are brought up never sitting at the table and eating garbage, pot noodles, takeaways, etc. We all eat with the boys at lunch-time and try to model what a proper meal-time ought to look like. That said, I do work with SEN/Behaviour students but they do mirror a large proportion of today`s society.

12/02/2013 at 13:38

JvR - you make a good point - my daughter often complains that her whole dinner time is spent queuing and she has about 5 minutes to finish her food and get to form - in fact she's had a late mark simply for not leaving the meal she'd just paid for because the bell went.   

The size of the refectory is ridiculously small - and there is no excuse because it is newly built - add in much shorter dinner break than when most of us were at school and there is no way they can ban packed lunches without major investment in school canteens.   

12/02/2013 at 13:54

the school "dinners" served up by my secondary school were dogshit. my own packed lunches at the time weren't exactly health food, but they were better than that crap. No idea what shit they serve up at most schools now, but i doubt it's much better

1 to 20 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.