The school lunch police

1 to 20 of 37 messages
kittenkat    pirate
11/02/2013 at 17:48

Ok, so let's get down to the lunchbox. No not that one, the watershed isn't upon us yet.

I get the generic trying to do generic 'good' and all to tackle obesity in kids. However why should my perfectly healthy weight kids be taught that some foods are bad (by them not being allowed in school), rather than everything in moderation, which makes much more sense.

Let's face it, who doesn't want something that's banned, I will escalate my example to prohibition in the USA.

11/02/2013 at 17:56

Is this the story about proposing to ban packed lunches?

kittenkat    pirate
11/02/2013 at 18:02

Yes Cinders, I doubt it will happen, but I'll play

11/02/2013 at 18:05

At work when there are donuts cakes and biscuits around I eat them....When they are not I don't.

I don't think its a bad thing to remove shite food from school. 

I think the point is that obese kids don't do moderation! If you allow yours some foods in moderation then at least you can continue to control what they eat.

11/02/2013 at 18:09

I hope it doesn't happen, little C wouldn't eat anything off the school's menu and is already borderline underweight.  At least with the packed lunch I know he will eat it....when they give the kids enough time and aren't shooing them off out!

11/02/2013 at 18:13

When I was a governor of a school one of the teachers said they should confiscate lunch boxes if they contained "bad" food. When I asked what she would think if I confiscated her lunch because I disapproved of it I was accused of being a fascist. To which I replied "Snap". The head got the message and it wasn't raised again.

11/02/2013 at 18:16

I don't know the lunch box story I am only talking about food they serve up to children.

11/02/2013 at 18:19

FP, the story is that they propose banning packed lunches so all children will have school lunches instead.  Least that's what I think was on the news earlier.

11/02/2013 at 18:19

Educate the parents, for the most they are the ones controlling the packed lunches.

Banning certain foods may be the only way ahead. I don't think banning packed lunches will change which kids are overweight and which kids are not.

When I had school dinners I would do anything not to eat them. This involved hiding at lunch time or sitting next to the fattest kid in the school and giving them my lunch. That was in the days when kids were forced to eat everything on the plate. No wonder I grew up with an eating disorder.

11/02/2013 at 18:21
kittenkat    pirate
11/02/2013 at 18:26
Cinders wrote (see)

I hope it doesn't happen, little C wouldn't eat anything off the school's menu and is already borderline underweight.  At least with the packed lunch I know he will eat it....when they give the kids enough time and aren't shooing them off out!

That's the position I've always been in. Some people have kids that wet the bed or throw tantrums, there is always something. With mine it's food that's been the ongoing battle, just getting them to try stuff is really hard.

11/02/2013 at 18:29

Thanks Cinders I don't agree with banning packed lunches.

kittenkat    pirate
11/02/2013 at 18:29
mrs. hog - mousey wrote (see)

Educate the parents, for the most they are the ones controlling the packed lunches.

Banning certain foods may be the only way ahead. I don't think banning packed lunches will change which kids are overweight and which kids are not.

When I had school dinners I would do anything not to eat them. This involved hiding at lunch time or sitting next to the fattest kid in the school and giving them my lunch. That was in the days when kids were forced to eat everything on the plate. No wonder I grew up with an eating disorder.

When i had school dinners thay were vile, but we are going back to the 70s here.

11/02/2013 at 18:30

Me neither FP

KK, know that feeling.  It's a long battle trying to get the little fella to try things.  Sauce is complete devil spawn to him!!!

11/02/2013 at 18:31

I still can't eat liver after being forced to clear my plate at school

kittenkat    pirate
11/02/2013 at 18:34
Cinders wrote (see)

Me neither FP

KK, know that feeling.  It's a long battle trying to get the little fella to try things.  Sauce is complete devil spawn to him!!!

Bland pasta will NOT be tried by my 10yr old (yes 10), neither will a whole heap of other things... Anyway gotta go, she wants the computer for her homework

kittenkat    pirate
11/02/2013 at 18:36
Cinders wrote (see)

I still can't eat liver after being forced to clear my plate at school

My headteacher used to keep the kids that wouldn't eat their lunch behind in the canteen, he would sit there with a stopwatch and tell us we weren't allowed to go back to class unless we'd eaten x amount of food in 15 minutes.

11/02/2013 at 19:48

For my sins I work as a teaching assistant, and I am also in charge at lunchtimes (get me!).  Some of the lunch boxes I see are just wonderful and wish their parents would pack me one - really tasty, healthy and delicious.  Some kids get cold chips from the night before.  They all survive, they are all happy tucking into whatever they have.

Usually looks better than what is being served as hot lunch 

11/02/2013 at 20:51

Yuk to the cold chips HTF!  What sorts of things are in the nice ones, I'm always after ideas

11/02/2013 at 21:01

Lets cut to the chase here .........

Ban kids bringing ineir own lunches if they live on a council estate. If they live in the suburbs then its fine.

Job done.

1 to 20 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.