The Sevens Wonder of The World List

So where is Grenada on the list?

21 to 34 of 34 messages
Pudge    pirate
04/02/2014 at 16:06
skotty wrote (see)
Screamapillar wrote (see)

He sometimes called the dog "Nigsy" so that's what they've decided to use - historically accurate without being insulting.

I'll try it out on my black colleagues.

Ha! Let us know how you get on with that.  I'm sure they'll find it to be a cutesy little nickname!

04/02/2014 at 16:08

Pudge,

Is your name Mr Jamie  McDonald who been running 200 marathons in less 300 dayss all over Canada

http://www.youtube.com/user/thejamiemc86

04/02/2014 at 16:08
Pudge wrote (see)
skotty wrote (see)
Screamapillar wrote (see)

He sometimes called the dog "Nigsy" so that's what they've decided to use - historically accurate without being insulting.

I'll try it out on my black colleagues.

Ha! Let us know how you get on with that.  I'm sure they'll find it to be a cutesy little nickname!

I'm sure they'll wonder why you aren't just calling them "Brian" or "Trevor" ( or whatever  their names are ) like you usually would.

Edited: 04/02/2014 at 16:09
Blisters    pirate
05/02/2014 at 23:24

Here we are with one of those classic Clubhouse threads, started with good intentions about getting people to have some thoughts of their own, and to contribute positively. It's not trolling, although we did dip into a brief advert for soome poxy club run. However, it has suffered from what I believe to be a brilliant example of WHY SPELLING MATTERS. The capitals are intended.

Grenada is a Spice Island. No doubt a beautiful place. Almost certainly just as beautiful as every other small island in the Caribbean. Heavily damaged by hurricanes from time to time, and invaded by the US Military in the 1980s.  Tourist destination, but one of the 7 most fantastic places? Improbable.

Granada is a city and region in Andalusia, Southern Spain. It contains The Alhambra, constructed during the Moorish occupation. Listed under the World Heritage Sites list of the UNESCO is indisputably the most well-known monument of the city and one of the most visited in Spain. One of the 7 wonders? I'd say that beuty is in the eye of the beholder. The UNESCO badge gives some merit.

Granada was also a TV company, and some people may have made allusions to it in their comments. All good fun.

Clearly UNESCO have done the homework, and decided not to limit the list to 7. They currently have 981 individual items listed, including 193 natural sites.

Personally, I am going to ignore natural wonders, because it was a greater power than mankind that created them, and we are limited by our ability to see what's in front of us. When did you last gaze upon the Orion Nebula, the rings of Saturn, a volcanic eruption such as Tungurahua (Ecuador), a virtually blind angler fish that lives a mile deep in the oceans or the splitting of the cell that signifies that a new baby will be born in 40 weeks' time?

I'm also ignoring the side track into the language of the 1955 film. Leave it be. The most memorable element was the comical special effects where they blatantly spliced some foaming water film into the a frames to illustrate the explosion and breaching of the dams. It's cringe-worthy, but part of the whole.

Personally, I shall merely contribute by proposing and contradicting my personal thoughts about man-made "wonders". Some are old, and new ones have really got to stand up and be counted against the impressiveness of the ancient. A large city is just an aggregation of buildings generated over time, and simply don't cut the mustard. There is no particular order to my list, and there aren't 7 items.

1- Neil Armstrong's flag, the moon.
2- Sydney Opera House
3- Great Wall of China
4- Panama Canal
5- Great pyramids, Giza
6- Hoover dam? (* I reserve the right to change this to any other dam, anywhere else that's bigger, such as Jinping-1)
To me, for a structure to be a wonder, there must be a hidden story that is visibly waiting to be told. One of adversity overcome, and massive struggle to achieve the end result. I can see why the Channel Tunnel has an allure. Its history dates back to Napoleon. But a wonder? Doubtful, which is why I'm also doubtful about the dams.

Edited: 05/02/2014 at 23:29
06/02/2014 at 08:23

What's more you didn't even cut and paste any of that did you Blisters? 

06/02/2014 at 09:14

If the word "Nigger" is so insulting and in poor taste, why is it that so many black people still insist on using it? It's the same with the word "Queer" and Gay people, they deem it an insult but use it themselves. I am not the type of person to go around using these words anyway but it's a trend I see, and don't quite understand.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
06/02/2014 at 09:17

For most of those, the 'massive struggle to achieve the end result' involved using thousands of slaves as labour and/or the deaths of quite a few of those involved in the construction.  Apart from the Opera House, although it's debatable whether they overcame the adversity as they couldn't build the original design and it made the new Wembley Stadium look like a well-managed project. 

I'm pretty sure the Apollo programme disn't use slave labour though, so I'll give you that one

Blisters    pirate
07/02/2014 at 16:11

The term "slave" might need a closer definition Dave, much as we struggle to define "employee". I don't actually think that it's relevant whether the massive struggle was voluntary, or persuaded with force.

-Sydney Opera House just happens to be a personal favourite, I agree with your comments. Not being able to build the design does rather seem like a challenge to me.

-Gemini-Apollo programme isn't as clean as you might like to think. There was a very heavy reliance on Nazi German scientists who were quietly given a passport for the USA.

Oh, and I do apologise for my spelling mistake. I hope that it didn't change the meaning.

09/02/2014 at 23:02
10/02/2014 at 16:34
10/02/2014 at 22:43

The seven wonders of (North) Wales are truly wonderful.  No slaves involved.  Mostly extant. Go Google, and enjoy.

10/02/2014 at 22:59

There are no slaves in Grenada

Did you know the  capital is St. George's

Cuba is the eighth wonder of the world

Edited: 10/02/2014 at 23:03
10/02/2014 at 23:17

No it isn't.  It is the result of 55 yrs of US dictated isolation.  It is depressed, the people have suffered.  The final insult is to treat it's some kind of time capsule tourist attraction.  The Great Satan has destroyed the lives of millions of people and their descendants to 3 generations, just to prove a point.

10/02/2014 at 23:20

You might as well say The Vietnam Cycle route is the eight wonder of the world.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.