Has it gone to the dogs?

21 to 40 of 81 messages
10/10/2012 at 15:37

What does 'good' look like?

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
10/10/2012 at 15:46
skotty wrote (see)
Wilkie wrote (see)

As LB says, make it an exclusive contact - no outside directorship or consultancies - and pay a decent salary to attract good people.

do decent salaries attract "good" people?

Id say generally speaking it would attract better qualified & more able people?

That said im sure politics attracts a certain type of person, that type may not always be the best for the job.

10/10/2012 at 15:47

I don't think our country is too bad when you look at the alternatives. Yes we have many underlying problems that need sorting, less corruption etc. But all in all if we become ill it will be sorted, if you become homeless you will be homed and fed. Your children will be educated. Neglected children will be helped etc.  The things that really, really matter seem to get taken care of. Living in the USA you couldn't agree with the above. Or Spain or most places to be fair.

Britain is still somewhere to be immensely proud of.

10/10/2012 at 15:49
Britain ? England please
10/10/2012 at 15:52

Some do. I have seen people come and go from senior positions - one was good at the politics but not good at his job - our company is small enough that he was 'found out' as it were and replaced. However in larger corporations if you get someone that is good at playing the game rather than good at their job... well that's a different matter.

I wonder at the top bankers - which camp do they fall into.  Some must be competent I hope but others will just be political animals and know how to scratch the right backs. With politicians, how does a good politician ever get elected - they have 1)to pick the right party   2)Appeal to the lowest common denominator in their constituency.

I struggle with Ed but could see myself voting for David Milliband - why??  I am educated and read the manifestos come election time and do my best to pick on policies - yet I am aware that the personality of the leader of a party does sway me.  If I am aware of this and yet still let myself be swayed by this, god help a good politician who can't put on the right 'smiley face' for the general public to vote for them. 

10/10/2012 at 15:54

er dave - why england rather than Britain?

I was actually about to say something similar to the vicar. Havng relatives in the US I know far too much about american politics than is wise.

We are much better of in this county (IMHO) and by that I mean Britain as I for one will not be voting for independance in 2014 (even if all the bloomin 16 years olds are).

10/10/2012 at 15:56
What have the scots or Irish ever done for me ! They want devolved government.... Bye
10/10/2012 at 16:01

Oh I see - it's like that is it.   Well if we do become independant - some of us will be invading the South - so there

I don't actually know anyone (over the age of 21) who wants independance, hence the push to let kids of 16 and 17 vote. Devolution has not been a bad thing - as the ruling party are actually not too bad - just a bit spendy and I suspect it will come round to bite us shortly.

Edited: 10/10/2012 at 16:04
10/10/2012 at 16:03
Get as far as Derby and we might take notice
10/10/2012 at 16:05

You are just jealous of our free stuff.

10/10/2012 at 16:06

And all our sexy sexy politicians 

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/57428000/jpg/_57428920_johann_lamont.jpg

10/10/2012 at 16:09

Actually there were so many peeps I could have picked - poor Johann.  She does seem intelligent and so far competent although she does have a hard job at the minute.

10/10/2012 at 16:11

Every generation includes a number of people who say 'things are going to the dogs'. You can find examples of this going back many centuries. They're almost always overreacting.

10/10/2012 at 16:14
What free stuff !
seren nos yn canu    pirate
10/10/2012 at 16:19
Wilkie wrote (see)

If they were paid a decent salary, with no allowance for expenses, there would be no expenses to fiddle.

As LB says, make it an exclusive contact - no outside directorship or consultancies - and pay a decent salary to attract good people.

they would still do favours for their mates and pick upp the consultancies after they leave..

the banking industry paid big salaries to their top guys..............and that worked out well didn't it.....

10/10/2012 at 16:35

tuition fees, prescriptions, home care for the elderly.

10/10/2012 at 16:43
Kids all too old for tuition fees, haven't had a prescription in years ( plus I wouldn't pay for one anyway ) and I have my old age funded....

...... So not a lot apart from the output of Islay that I need from you thanks
10/10/2012 at 16:45

Ah well you can get lost on that front then - anymore snash from you and the whisky gets impounded.

10/10/2012 at 16:47

I think you have just answered your own questions.... what have the Scots every done for you???? 

Come the revolution I think we shall be raising export duties on alcohol.  See if you like that then.

10/10/2012 at 16:48
Provided my night cap for 30 years
21 to 40 of 81 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.