The Wanna Blista Social Club.

34,261 to 34,280 of 40,194 messages
07/10/2012 at 21:53
EC - well done, and hard luck at missing the sub 2:50,. You would have been even more chaffed with that.

VL - v sorry it didn't work out

BB - superb running!

RB - great running, you didn't give up the title without a fight.

DTS - well done.

NI - very sorry it went bad, sounds like you were within touching distance. There are plenty of positives. Like being in the lead of a big mara! I hope the injury is not too bad.
08/10/2012 at 07:00
JS - he's 9

The distance wasn't the problem. It was the fact that we had to wait so long for NI to hobble across the finish line that it would have been dark when we got back and we didn't have lights with us.

It's quite a nice ride, mainly flat and quiet roads.
08/10/2012 at 07:41

JMC - You expected your 9 year old son to cycle 50m   and you thought he was being lame for wanting to stop half way? Give him a break!!

08/10/2012 at 08:28
JS - yeah it's shocking! I sent him straight to bed when we got home for being so pathetic.
08/10/2012 at 08:52

NI - that's tough but you went out and took it on at full effort and that sort of thing is going to happen sometimes.  I'm sure that invincibility will be restored soon enough.  And it sounds like it was a great run up to 19.  

Well run DTS, BB and excellent bounce back from ES.

I failed to defend my title at Congo Half but not for the lack of trying.  The first few miles are a bit hilly so I started steady but gradually reeled people in until I caught the leaders around half way.  I put in a small surge to drop BIg Stu Doyle from the group as I knew he was the one with the finish.  But then it all kicked off and I was dumped too as the leaders sped off into the distance.  I still thought I'd catch them again and I was slowly gaining until the final couple of hills took their toll.  True to form Big Stu came loping past in the last mile and grrrr I'm 4th again.  But over a minute faster than last year 73.56 and almost even split.

Congo is a nice race - the undulating course feels like Wilmslow or Chester but with a decent dash of Macclesfield.  Pretty local and cheap as chips well worth doing.

Nice to meet The Poacher afterwards - a very elusive Blista - I felt like I'd found an Olympic 50p.

08/10/2012 at 09:15
Looking at the results it was a blinding run by the poacher!

a big PB on a tough course.

Well done!

JMC - I bet you were on some "snazzy" racer and your poor lad was on a BMX or something, still you are right, it is no excuse!
Edited: 08/10/2012 at 09:19
08/10/2012 at 10:05
Just want to say a big well done to Eric on a great performance. You looked really strong when you passed me and I was hoping your wheels would stay on (which they did).

I was expecting VL to come past shortly after but obviously it didn't happen. Unlucky, just get yourself right and come back stronger.

BB - great running from you too - well done.

Well done to RB and Daz on good performances too.

Thanks to JMC, GBM and Mort for coming down to support. Sorry for making you wait so long JMC but the trains are a bit few and far between out in the sticks so I had to get to the finish under my own steam (and cross the finish line). I've never had a dnf yet and I don't intend to ever have one as long as I can physically make the finish line no matter how long it takes.

No point sulking really. I've got the fitness to take into the XC season and I think the best thing to do is draw a line under it and move on.
08/10/2012 at 10:24

JMC, 9 years old and doing 40 miles, that's tough. I took my 9YO out on the Mersey yesterday and did 20 miles on MTBs, it's fairly flat and we did stop for an hour at Jackson Boat pub. Back seems to be better with Cocodamol in heavy doses disguising the pain.

08/10/2012 at 12:30

just heard tragic news that Darren Holloway (of Pennine) collapsed & died yesterday competing in a fell relay event in the Lakes - shocking - he was only 42.

08/10/2012 at 12:35

SARQ - he did 73 miles in one day when he was 7!  We cycled from Manchester to York on the TransPennine Trail over 2 days. We kept on passing train stations and asking if he wanted to stop but he was determined to get all the way to York. The last 15 miles were so slow I struggled to stay on my bike. I was convinced he was going to be ill for at least a week after but he was fine. The mother in law nearly called social services to report me for child abuse.

Last year he did the Coast to Coast from Whitehaven to Tynemouth in 3 days. That was 143 miles in total  and some big hills.

He did the above on a 5 speed 20" mountain bike that probably weighs about half what he weighs. Yesterday he was on a kids road bike but it is still slightly too big for him which made it tricker to pedal. He is desperate to do Lands End to John o Groats but I can't face 3 weeks of cycling at 7miles per hour.

Eric - has your lad done any cycling?

NI - I would sulk big style.

08/10/2012 at 14:54

BHB/PPP and Ni, did you know there was a park run in Burnage, by the Rugby club and going along our run routes on the Mersey.

Couldn't get much closer than that. I don't think it's fast though.

08/10/2012 at 14:54
Bob - good to meet you, apologies that in my knackered state I didn't really clock how fast you had run, so belated congrats. Apart from those hills at the end the course is faster than it looks on paper, and the weather conditions were spot on.

PPP - cheers, a very small PB of 20sec, however they all count. I had gone to bed at 0315 and felt wretched in the morning. Under the circs I had no idea I could do 81min on that course, probably could have pushed it a bit more. Must try harder next time.

Congrats and commiserations as appropriate for those who were at Chester.
08/10/2012 at 15:52

DTS - that is tragic and only a week after Ray Eagle.

JMC - you should get your lad doing XC!

Burnage parkrun is indeed in Heaton Mersey using the mersey paths - near Parrswood too.  It is relatively flat but has a surprise short flight of steps and a couple of squeeze gates.  BHB might like the look of the V50 record http://www.parkrun.org.uk/burnage/results/agecategoryrecords ;)

08/10/2012 at 15:58

Likewise, Poacher hope to see you at the XC too.  Achievements far more dubious than a full 20 second PB have been well celebrated on this thread.  I think that the hills at the start of Congo are the more tricky to get right. 

PPP are you going to race at all in your V45 category?

08/10/2012 at 16:06

RB, Ahh, Ni has actually done it, 17.24 shows how slow it is.

08/10/2012 at 16:11

You might have rumbled his only other below par race?

This guy runs everywhere so you can compare

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/athleteresultshistory?athleteNumber=22706

Seems to confirm that NI was just rubbish that day.

08/10/2012 at 18:09
I did Burnage parkrun as a training run. I ran 7 miles @ marathon pace which I finished just before the parkrun started. Then I did the parkrun @ marathon pace also to make it just over 10 miles. It's flat but there's a few tight bends and you go up the set of steps twice. Also, it's all off-road and was quite muddy when I ran it.

Daz - that's terrible news. Did you know him?
08/10/2012 at 22:18
The old "as part of a training run" excuse comes back.
08/10/2012 at 23:12
I have done burnage a few times but have only once ran the correct course. I like it cos I can get up at 8am, run there usually win the race and run back before 9:45. I'd say about on a par with woodbank. Bit undulating but quite muddy, tight turns and styles to negotiate as well as slippy steps.
09/10/2012 at 01:54

I didn't really know DazH as such, only exchanged the odd word in a group containing mutual acquaintances, but you could tell he was a sound bloke

I defy anybody to read through this without crying:

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?18225-Darren-Holloway-%28Pennine%29

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.