The Wanna Blista Social Club.

34,361 to 34,380 of 40,403 messages
15/10/2012 at 15:57

Been away from the thread for quite some time. It's been mad busy at work with the Olympics and a big influx of students this summer/autumn so I've just not had  time to fit in any regular quality training to do races any kind of justice. Coupled with the fact I have been struggling with a bad back which has now turned into a chronic bout of Plantar Fasciitis it's not been a good time running-wise lately. I think a conscious transition from stability shoes into neutral has caused the issue so I'm switching back to see if it goes away.

My gripes aside I've just had a quick read back over a few pages to see what everyone's been up to. Congrats to NI for the sub-70 at Lake Vyrnwy, respect to J8 on making it 3 out of 5 world majors under 3hrs and to RC for a great run and PB at Liverpool. Steady as she goes RC although you know you could take a chunk off that time with a less undulating route than Liverpool. Well done to everyone else who's been racing. 

GBM - I know you'll stick to your plan. Every marathon I've done has always felt better when run even-paced. Just make sure you're fully fit this week before the big day. I know you don't want to hear this but if you're still struggling with that chest then don't run. Your legs might feel all bouncy and great during the taper but if you can't get the oxygen into them at peak effort on race day then it's going to be feel like purgatory after only a few miles. An arbitrary marathon time is not worth risking your health over, sorry

PPP - I've just entered Manchester instead of London. Can't really justify the cost of travel, accomodation, etc when Manchester is on the doorstep and looks to be flatter and possibly faster too. 

15/10/2012 at 16:47

Oh, almost forgot to mention using the discount code MEN5 gets you an extra £5 off the entry fee

15/10/2012 at 17:18

UB--Welcome back!  There is no chance of me not doing Amsterdam. This virus peaked for a few days about two weeks ago and there are a couple of symptoms still lingering but its not that bad. And i've still got 6 more days to get rid of it! I wish my legs felt all bouncy and great though!!

15/10/2012 at 17:39

UB, welcome back.

Although Manchester was rubbish organisation, it flatter than London and the support was remarkable given to atrocious weather, so on a good day, a great event and the course is now much improved.

Saying that, I've not entered.

15/10/2012 at 17:46
Sarq- I won't be able to provide the same level of support if I run it!

UB - welcome back!
15/10/2012 at 18:07

I thought about Manchester but Mrs Bob and the mini-Bobs like going to VLM.  They'd never watch me running round Sale and Trafford.  It's also a rare chance to run in a top level race.

I think that VLM is actually downhill?  Championship entries open today .

Ignore the taper fever GBM and go get that 2.55!

15/10/2012 at 19:18

Well done RC!

Village Bakery Half entries are open in case anyone is interested.

JMC- I see you got beaten at Marple park fun run at the weekend

15/10/2012 at 19:36

Nice photo here of JMC trailing well behind Kevan, a small dog and an old guy with a stick walking sideways ... when does the XC season start?

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/117146/gallery/8085561570_cd731f2c7f_c.jpg?width=350

15/10/2012 at 20:43

Yeah but you'll notice Kev is giving it his all and I'm just jogging along with his dog!

I could have taken him but felt guilty cos he had put the effort in all the way round. I was hoping his dog would give me a bit of a boost but it was useless, it kept on wandering all over the place.

15/10/2012 at 22:12
Not going to race a marathon this spring although I have entered the Richmond Psrk marathon as I have family in the area and can combine it with a visit. I usually do a long run round Richmond Park anyway whenever I'm down there.

Might enter Manchester too and do it as a training run.

Mort - is there still a White Peak marathon? I might do that too.

Clairster - I'll be catching you up at this rate!
16/10/2012 at 00:04

RC - Well done an a great run yesterday.

GBM - I don't know who's more nervous about your sub 3 attempt in Amsterdam on Sunday, me or you! Good luck.

The person I'm about to talk about never comes on the thread but she's a very good friend of mine and a fellow Stockport Harrier to us all. She doesn't even know I'm doing this and when she finds out she'll probably be hugely embarrassed as she doesn't like a fuss. Anyway, I'm sure some of you already know that last year Jenny Knass was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma and spent most of the year having intense chemotherapy treatment. It soon became apparent that running was out of the question so it was decided that friends and family, some of which have never owned a pair of trainers would each pick an event, a 5k, a triathlon, the 3 Peaks, to name a few, in an attempt to raise as much money as possible for The Christie Hospital. My event was supposed to be the Manchester Marathon but that was kiboshed due to injury and unless a miracle happens, there's no way I'll be squeezing one in before this Sunday so this is my appeal for sponsorship on Jenny's behalf. Like many of you on here she's been training throughout the summer for an autumn marathon and is off to Amsterdam on Saturday to run in the marathon on Sunday. Since August last year over £13,000 has been raised and as Jenny's marathon is the final challenge we're hoping that we might hit the £13,500 target. I realise none of you really know Jenny so there's no pressure but I just wanted to let you have the opportunity to contribute just in case. Any donatations will be hugely appreciated by her family and friends as The Christie has been fantastic.
I've attached a link to 'The Trotters' Just Giving page below along with a link to the spreadsheet detailing who's been involved and in what event (s).

http://www.justgiving.com/the-trotters

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0Agocme-m4O_IdE9PNW85VVFzNHRCSDdFaFc4SHFOOFE&output=html

Thank you.  

Edited: 16/10/2012 at 00:04
16/10/2012 at 07:26

NI- Yes! Saturday May 18th, entries don't open til January but it fills fairly fast these days. I am sure clairster or I will remind you nearer the time

Looking forward to seeing 'Fast Jenny K' finish not far in front of GBM Sunday or I will be worried!

16/10/2012 at 08:48

NI - that sounds like you're entering 2 marathons??

White Peak is a really nice - but yes it gets full immediately.

16/10/2012 at 09:04
RB - I have the same issue re VLM. The family enjoy the weekend (so do I!). Also, my brother is running it for the first time and I rarely see him. It also seems wrong to miss the chance to run in the best supported marathon. So I am pretty sure I will do London.

It is just a pity there isn't more of a gap between them because I am genuinely impressed with MCR, although, it is a shame it doen't go near the centre.
16/10/2012 at 09:55

NI, you've said those forbidden words again

16/10/2012 at 10:35

Stop talking about Manchester Marathon...I said I wasn't doing it but all this talk is starting to make me think twice about it.

Nice post JS. I see Jenny quite often running around the Heatons.  GBM, she will more than likely run sub 3 unless she is "using it as a training run".  I think you should sponsor her for £10 every minute she beats you by.

16/10/2012 at 11:12
GBM - be careful about accepting that sponsorship deal! I remember doing my first Marathon in Dublin, 2008, Probably my proudest ever running achievement. Only been running for a year and not in a club, only ever done one half marathon, in 1:3x:xx and basically clueless (OK, some things don't change). I crossed the line in 2:57:xx and was just so happy. But I remember two things; A guy with one arm beat me, and my wife said "Ooh, I saw a girl from Stockport finish ages ago"

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=16318
16/10/2012 at 12:59

BHB--Thanks for dominating me for that deal! Last time i spoke to Jenny (or was it Dave Turnbull?) she was considering 2.50 ish. So if she does that and i have a bad race/blow up, erm, i mean 'i decide part way through to use it as a training run' then that could be costly. And now you've made me look like a right tight git for worrying about how many hundreds of pounds i might have to sponsor a very worthy cause! Thanks! 

JS--I wasn't nervous but i am now that i know other people are nervous for me! 

16/10/2012 at 13:15

GBM, "thanks for dominating me..." stop giving away our little secrets

16/10/2012 at 13:28

good luck amsterdammers esp GBM x

Ni - lol, this is one time I may actually beat you..am on 66 WP is still the best and the half fills very quickly..the full less rapidly but mort and I get invited to enter..does that make us elite?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.