The Wanna Blista Social Club.

36,661 to 36,680 of 40,186 messages
28/04/2013 at 16:43

Well done folks saw jmc in the zone n jonah looking strong. haha! Was great to see you foar..hopefully my ankle will be ok, had been cheering/heckling so many random people, it was great to see someone I actually knew . Actually had a blast, liked the new route although pretty sure it is on the short side. Beer at 23miles also helped make the final drag home ok n given my complete lack of training n long runs I am happy!

28/04/2013 at 16:51

PPP..sorry you had to pull up. Lots of ultras on, depends how far you wanna travel. Not sure about easy to navigate, there is 50m in much wenlock in June, north downs is in August (I think), there's a 100k in NI in sept, starting in Belfast and there's also the grimsthorpe ones in July..laps, but you can do 40 or 70m I think..and you may still be able to get solo entries for thunder run in jul time..24hr race, 10k laps again. Mourne way ultra is sat 8 June, well marked but in ni..south downs is early June, but think its marathon. Sandstone trail in a couple if weeks, but may be too soon  n dukeries at end of may has 30 or 40m option (Nottingham way)

(i'll get my coat now..)

Edited: 28/04/2013 at 16:53
28/04/2013 at 17:24

I’m a prophet of my own doom! I said I’d go off too fast and then blow up spectacularly and that’s exactly what I did. Started out with Matt, Kev and J8 with J8 setting us a good pace. Seemed like most of the spectators were Stockport fans we were getting so much support. We went through half way in 1:26:30 and up til then I’d been feeling pretty good however I started to feel in trouble almost straight after. I stuck with J8 and tried to maintain the pace but by mile 16 was starting to lose him. Matt had already gone storming off while Kev had dropped back a little.

I managed to hold it together until about mile 20, Kev went past me but I’d kept him in sight so I still had hopes of just going sub 3 but then my back, which had been niggling up til then went on fire and I was reduced to shuffling along at 8 mpm.

Any thoughts of a time went out of the window and my mantra became “must finish, must not walk”. The last couples of miles while painful also had had an element of fun as I got into a battle with several others in the same decrepit state as me. It was the least athletic race to the finish line you’ve seen, all we needed were zimmer frames to complete the picture.

The pace J8 set us was pretty much spot on for 2:55 as his time proves but I guess I just wasn’t in that kind of shape after all. Good course though and the atmosphere was great.

Brilliant runs by the others especially Matt and James. I reckon Matt will be knocking on the 2:45 door before long (look out James). For me it’s a case of “Next time Smith next time”

Cheers for all the support from the Harriers who made it down.

28/04/2013 at 17:30

Well done marathoners!

Looking forward to doing a sociable run with you all!

Did lovely walk in the Lakes yesterday and ran for a couple of hours this morning.

28/04/2013 at 18:04
Great report BT, tough luck!

Great run JMC, exactly the same time as as RC! it's like you were holding hands as you crosssed the line, virtually, through time and space, careful, I may get jealous!

J8 - I hate tattoos but I think I may get one with your face and LEGEND written on it if you carry on like this.

Clairster - cheers, but I am backing off that idea. I don't think I can go go chasing it. Just need to decide if it's Amsterdam with the family (expensive but less guilt attached) or Frankfurt with the Harriers! Or York with the bars (geddit?)

Really is a good marathon, Manchester.
Edited: 28/04/2013 at 18:06
28/04/2013 at 18:13

Are results online anywhere?

28/04/2013 at 19:02
28/04/2013 at 19:35

Did the winning lady really do 2:23?

28/04/2013 at 19:39

Usual mix of storming performances and marathon mishaps today.  In particular well done to J8 and JMC.  J8 makes running sub 3 hour marathons seem like child's play, when we all know it is anything but.  And well done to JMC for stepping up to the challenge from RC. 

It does sound tempting to run this next year, but then the thought of 20 mile runs in the cold and wet of winter takes the shine off, and then there is always the chance of a PPP type injury.  So I'll leave it I think!

28/04/2013 at 21:14

Enjoyed watching some great performances today. Suburb grit and determination from JMC when the going got tough. J8 to run a 2.55 2 weeks after Boston, amazing work! Incredible debut from Matt.

BT- Don't be too despondent still a good time. Keep at it and the sub 3 will come as it will for Kev.

PPP - We all know you'll come back stronger than ever.

Quite fancy this one myself but enjoy London too much and don't really want 2 in quick succession.

28/04/2013 at 22:16

Well done all Manchester runners, great performances all round!!

If any of you fancy a nice warm down then don't forget The Buxworth 5 on Weds evening! 

29/04/2013 at 09:39

Well done MCR runners again. Surprised with Kevs time though, he's such a strong runner.

BT great report, you are the new GBM.

29/04/2013 at 12:37

Well run GMMers - some great results there.  

A tiny bit disappointing that JMC didn't really press on mid-race to set up the big blow up.

Can't run 26 miles on a stick of rhubarb PPP so right decision.  You'll be back.

GMM is tempting but like RC I think I'll be sticking with London.  I like the Championship Start, sunny weather, big crowds & bands and national level competition in 2.30 - 2.45 range.  I can never get the pass out for international maras so this is the nearest I get.

29/04/2013 at 15:51

Although it is some months away - I just spotted the schedule for next season's MACCL fixtures on the Wilmslow RC website. Here they are for anyone planning to do some cross country next season:

MACCL 2013/2014

Saturday 19th October : Heaton Pk

Sunday 10th November : Woodbank Pk

Saturday 7th December : Sherdley Park

Sunday 12th January : BHC

Saturday 8th February : Wythenshawe Park

29/04/2013 at 17:10

BB-how are the injuries?
Entered VLM at 1am this morning, ballot's now closed but SimonH has informed me the GFA for old gits (V60) is now 3.45, so it looks like i'll be on the Green start, I just need to re-apply in May.

29/04/2013 at 17:26

POST MARATHON PISS UP!!! 

Friday 24th May. 7.30pm in the Rising Sun, Hazel Grove. 

We can't have it any sooner due to holidays, 3 days in May fell races, the FA cup final and Daz's BG attempt. 

29/04/2013 at 17:39

TB - injuries are under control thanks. No PF pain for over a month and just some tension in the piriformus/ham. I've had to live with the latter for nearly 3 months now but at least I am running.

29/04/2013 at 18:11

Like TB said the VLM GFA's have changed a bit.  Still doesn't seem to match up with any WAVA type measure:

http://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/marathon-centre/enter-virgin-london-marathon/good-for-age-entries/

29/04/2013 at 23:41

RB-Richard Branson met me at the finish, we shook hands and I happen to mention that I was 7 min. outside GFA which is a ridiculous time for most humans at V60, he must have had a word with someone.

30/04/2013 at 08:22

Well done Manchester marathoners - great efforts by you all. I can't believe RC and JMC ran identical times in different races!

Minnie - The winning lady did NOT run 2:23. I think it would have been big news if she had!

GBM - Friday 24th is good for me.

GBM - I can do any Thursday out of the next few except 16th May for Kinder Trog reccy.

RB - are you really considering doing BS? As if running ultras isn't hard enough without constantly wondering about your whereabouts and at what point you are going to come steaming past! Seriously though, if you do it we might push each other to faster times than we could have otherwise done.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.