The Wanna Blista Social Club.

36,721 to 36,740 of 40,470 messages
03/05/2013 at 13:24

SW - Saddo!
(no, seriously, Well Done! )

PPP - I think you had the wrong op!

GBM - Shining Tor has been shortened to a lower-level 4M race (that doesn't even go to the summit of Shining Tor!)

Race List 

Sat 04 May - Cake Race (Diggle) - Daz
Sun 05 May - Richmond Park Marathon - NI 
Sun 05 May - Fen Drayton 10k - RC
Wed 08 May - Rainow - Daz, GBM
Fri 10 May - May Queen - GBM
Sat 11 May - Mount Famine - GBM
Sun 12 May - Lantern Pike - GBM 
Sun 12 May - Chester Half - Mttb, Kwaka?
Sun 12 May - Wilmslow Tri - SARQ
Wed 15 May - Shining Tor - GBM 
Fri/Sat 17/18 May - Daz's BG - Daz, GBM, UB, PPP
Sun 19 May - Windermere Marathon - GBM, FOAR 
Sun 19 May - Cardiff Ultra - NI 
Wed 22 May - Vanessa Chappell - GBM, Daz
Fri 24 May - Post Marathon Night Out - Rising Sun, Hazel Grove, 7.30pm. 
Sun 26 May - Buxton Half - GBM 
Sun 26 May - Bupa Great Manchester Run - ES, RC, BHB 
Wed 29 May - Kettleshulme - GBM, ES 
Sat 01 Jun - Notts world qualifier Tri - SARQ 
Sat 01 Jun - Duddon FR - Daz 
Wed 05 Jun - Boars Head - GBM, Kwaka
Fri 07 Jun - Castleton - GBM, Daz
Sun 09 Jun - Edale - GBM
Sun 09 Jun - Great Trail Challenge (11k) - NI 
Wed 19 Jun - Round the Resers - GBM, Kwaka
Sun 23 Jun - Kinder Trog - NI, GBM, Kwaka
Fri 28 Jun - Tideswell - GBM 
Sat 29 Jun - Llandudno world qualifier Tri - SARQ 
Sat 29 Jun - Buttermere Horseshoe FR - Daz 
Tue 09 July thru Sat 13 July - Coast to Coast Run (140 miles) - ES 
Weds 10 Jul - Offerton 10k - GBM 
Sat 13 Jul - Wasdale FR - Daz
Sat 13 Jul - Liverpool world qual Olympic tri - SARQ
Weds 17 Jul - Macc Forest 5 - GBM, Daz
Thurs 25 Jul - Wizard 5 - GBM 
Sat 27 Jul - Old Crown Round - Daz
Weds 31 Jul - Millbrook Monster - GBM 
Sun 04 Aug - Dovedale Dipper - GBM, TB
Weds 07 Aug - Cracken Edge - GBM, Daz
Weds 14 Aug - Eccles Pike - GBM 
Sat 07 Sep - Bullock Smithy Hike - UB, GBM, Jonah, ES, FOAR, TB 
Sun 15 Sep - Great North Run - FOAR 
Sun 15 Sep - Bristol Half - RC 
Sun 29 Sep - Berlin Marathon - Mttb 
Sun 20 Oct - Yorkshire Marathon - UB, Jonah, RC

Edited: 03/05/2013 at 13:27
03/05/2013 at 14:09

As today is summer, might pop out for a few drinks later with Mrs Has Been.  Won't be straying too far from Town Bar/ Orangery or Liz so if you are in the Heaton Moor area you are welcome to join us.

Would have liked to do Shining Tor, but it is too close to Christleton. Might try to do Rainow instead as a taster and then the next team event, whichever that is.

03/05/2013 at 16:28

BHB. dont forget it's the Heatons beer festival. The Liz will be rammed tonight!

I wouldn't class 12 deg as Summer though, it's going to be a whopping 15 tomorrow!

03/05/2013 at 17:04

Well done Buxworthers.

I might have a look at a few of those fell races. Can't make Shining Tor but I'm considering Kettleshulme and Goyts Moss.

Good luck to Daz, RC and anyone else racing this weekend.

03/05/2013 at 17:04

I hadn't forgot, in fact I didn't even know.  I doubt it will make that much difference, they are all lager drinkers in there (and it is normally rammed anyway).

So this must be Summer's Eve then.  You must have heard the joke about the favourite two days of the year being Christmas Day and Summer?

03/05/2013 at 17:08
Good luck Daz and RC

NI - good luck in the marathon! I would love to do that one. I have happy memories of Richmond Park as a kid. Could it be the first Stockport Harrier Marathon victory since Mowgli's pomp? hope so.
Edited: 03/05/2013 at 17:09
03/05/2013 at 21:24

BHB - you missed summer it was in Norfolk, 19' this morning, unfortunately 10' when I got home

03/05/2013 at 22:50

PPP-what's a bollock between friends

04/05/2013 at 11:30

It's the Mellor March on Sunday morning and as usual I'm going to do a quick lap of the 12 mile route starting at 8.00am so I can get back by 10.00am to start the walk about 10.30. All welcome for a social run - I know a few of you have been round in previous years and I recall some of you were even drinking beer at 10.00am in the Royal Oak 

04/05/2013 at 11:57

Eric--Happy Birthday!! 

04/05/2013 at 17:52

Happy Birthday, Eric 

04/05/2013 at 19:11

Thank you! May the 4th - Star Wars day! 

Thought I'd start my birthday with a Park Run and got beat by a JM15-19. God I feel old!

04/05/2013 at 21:25

Happy Birthday Eric !

I also did Park Run today and ventured to Burnage for the first time. Not a bad route, apart from a few wooden steps which have to be negotiated twice. Rugby clubhouse is a good event base and got a good clear run as there were only 74 runners. I still failed to break 20 mins though .

All the best to NI & RC tomorrow !

04/05/2013 at 23:31

ES-nearly missed that one, many happy returns

05/05/2013 at 08:02

Eric - the only consolation is TB will always be older than you, in his eyes we are all youth. Hope your birthday got better

05/05/2013 at 08:32

Well done to the Buxworth 5ers and slightly late good luck wishes to NI and RC today!

Daz- Yes I saw that in the news. I went there last year with my mother and could have done with a landslide then My mother wants to go to Cornwall next year so I will be looking out for a suitable SWCP race- possibly Classic Quarter again.

05/05/2013 at 12:37

Great run this morning with M6.

05/05/2013 at 13:41

TST-at least I can still run, how's your running at the moment?

05/05/2013 at 14:18

TB - just about to restart, been doing plenty of walking, and just done a few rides on a bike, see physio this week and then 10 sec run, 10 sec walk x 10. going to be a tough one

05/05/2013 at 18:14

Richmond Park Marathon race report:

The plan was to do this as a fastish long run, certainly not a race effort but with last year's winning time of 3:03, if a prize was there to be won I was sure my competitive side would not be able to resist going for it.

Well...................

First off Richmond Park is a very nice place to run, quite hilly with lots of trails and very scenic and varied with lots of woodland / grassy areas. It reminds me a bit of a massive version of Lyme Park.

At the start the leader went off much faster than I was willing to run so I settled into a group of three in second place and just watched him pull away behind the lead bike with our group in behind the second bike. At 4 miles with a huge gap behind our group, the bike we were following headed up some trail which turned into a narrower trail, then turned a bit twisty and tussocky, errrrrrrr is really this the right way????? The other two runners said we had definitely gone the wrong way but we had all lost our bearings by then and had no choice but to keep following the cyclist. We ended up running down a road then he did a u turn and started going the opposite way - WTF?????

A conversation then ensued:

Me: "Have we gone the wrong way?"

Bike marshall: "This is Roehampton, we need to head down to Robin Hood gate."

Me: "So have we gone the wrong way?"

Bike marshall: (rides off fast and I never saw him again).

We carried on going down the road we were on, I dropped the other two runners with some serious red mist descending then I saw masses of runners coming from the right and the 5 mile marker ahead. A quick glance at my garmin as I passed the marker told me I had run 7.2 miles.

The remaining 21.2 miles were a case of trying to pass as many people as possible, flying past loads of them at first although they gradually thinned out. There were several junctions with no marshalls and it was complete guesswork as to which way to go. I had to stop and ask some passers-by several times. It wasn't just me either. Towards the end as I was lapping people, I heard comments from other runners along the lines of "he looks like he knows where he's going, we should follow him". The park was very busy too and it was a bit annoying having to constantly dodge out of the way of dogs, walkers, cyclists, etc.

I managed to get up to 4th in the end and not far behind 2nd and 3rd I think. The winner had run 2:35 which is amazing on quite a hilly, off-road course on a warm day. Official time was 3:00:37 ish for what I had as 28.46 miles. (I went through 26.2 in about 2:46)

Then.............

Immediately, ie 2 seconds after crossing the finish line I was approached by who I think was the Mayoress of Richmond. I thought it would be a case of her hanging my medal round my neck, well done, shake hands, on your way but no..........

She then started talking about the mugs in the goody bag, peppering me with questions about the race, was this my first marathon, was anyone here supporting me, bring them here we will have a photograph. I'm thinking "Please leave me alone. I've just ran nearly 28.5 miles. It's hot. I just want to get a drink and recover a bit not have tea and scones with members of the bourgeouisie!"

So, I did what I set out to do which was have one last big aerobic effort before the Cardiff 50 in 2 weeks but I'm a little bit cross with the race organisation and I have definitely added it to my "never doing this race again" list.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.