The Wanna Blista Social Club.

36,901 to 36,920 of 40,609 messages
21/05/2013 at 13:21
BHB - yes, that would be good! I am on holiday over half-term, but when I get back I would like to do that. It depends on the boy's cricket fixtures which tend to be arranged the week before and in no obvious pattern. They really adversely impact upon my training because they go on for blinking hours. I will be in touch.

Mort - apologies, but I neglected to give you an update on the old ball-bag post BGR. All seems tickety-boo you will be delighted to hear. The hamstring is bearing up as well.
21/05/2013 at 14:07

BHB, I'd up for a few tempo sessions, all depends on time of day though, as you and PPP tend to finish a lot earlier than me.

I'm away over half term too.

21/05/2013 at 14:27

BHB, I'd be up for a few tempo sessions.  We'll soon find you 30s/mile.  You're fast enough over 200m so it's just a case of making more of an effort..

PPP good to see you're mended.

21/05/2013 at 16:09

SARQ/ etc.  They could be early evening.  Jog there, tempo/ speed session and jog back would be a tough effort.  The new paths are great for running on if you have not tried them before.  Flat, wide and will stand up to rain, with a bit of give so quite joint friendly as well.  Plenty of circuit options too. 

Will sort something with PPP and post an update.

21/05/2013 at 21:04

Cheers tst, I'll see you down there

22/05/2013 at 13:04

Thank you Plod

I am still waiting for- 1) A race report from NI
                              2) A proper BG report from Daz

That is all

22/05/2013 at 13:24

Mort - Not quite all....what about one of GBM's classic race reports?

22/05/2013 at 14:37

I can't really get up the enthusiasm for a "proper" BG report, but basically:

started in lovely warm/sunny/dry conditions which lasted for the whole of Leg1
lost a few minutes due to problems with supporters, but arrived at Threlkeld feeling good in self

excellent support crew for night-time Leg 2 - superb pacing/navigation - but weather deteriorated badly with heavy rain/strong winds at times
problems with kit (due to having been parted from expected emergency kit on Leg 1)
caused slight delays, plus started to store up "coldness" issues
so cleared Dunmail a bit further down on time but still feeling OK leg-wise

Leg 3 started OK, climbed well up Steel Fell, reached Calf Crag as it got light, cloud was lifting a bit and looked like it might remain patchy/intermittent rain...
...buuuut then it closed right in - thick cloud which made for slow going checking navigation and heavy rain/strong wind, the combination of which caused severe chilling effects (esp. with sub-standard kit), so decided not to risk hypothermia by pressing on to Wasdale, and dropped to Langdale instead.

after we got down to the New Dungeon Ghyll and phoned to be picked up, it started to LAG it down, so things would've only got worse!

22/05/2013 at 23:59

Great Stockport turnout at the Vanessa Chappell fell race. Well done to all! 

23/05/2013 at 08:20

Yes indeed- there were lots of yellow vested people to shout at- Well done!

23/05/2013 at 08:25

yes loads of yellow canaries, only out numbered by striders but they were all standing about watching. Will they all do the boars head?

23/05/2013 at 11:07

I felt more like a fat pigeon than a canary lumbering up and down those hills. Cheers for your support though.

23/05/2013 at 11:12

really enjoyed Vanessa Chappell last night - now officially my 3rd fave evening race (after Macc Forest and Rainow) so high praise indeed
only prob was the lack of atmosphere afterwards due to the demise of the hotel

26 SHACs in the results! including Rob Taylor - when did he defect from Pennine? almost as big a scalp as Andi Jones!

23/05/2013 at 11:23

Rob is still in Pennine as well. Perhaps he just registered as SHAC last night as a tribute to Vanessa?

A really big scalp would be DTS defecting to SHAC!

23/05/2013 at 12:34

I think Rob runs for Pennine or Stockport depending on which vest is clean. 

I didn't run last night as my left calf is still sore after Windermere on Sunday. I actually injured it before the race when i had a big stretch in bed!  It was really sore during the race and i was planning on being sensible and pulling out at some point but just never got round to it. I will make my fell race comeback at Kettleshulme next Weds though. 

As i've got an injured calf i think i will avoid entering the Leek Half! (Lee calf! Geddit?

23/05/2013 at 13:30

GBM-of course, if it was your hamstring, we could call you Hamstring Lee (HL) Hmm.

Yes, I think Rob swings both ways.

Was up at 6.30am this morning, went for a run in the hills, it was snow and hailstorm at the top.

23/05/2013 at 13:31

Mort - just for you, a Cardiff race report. I can no longer post of the thread from my phone for some reason and as I've been staying down at my grandparents in Wales since the race, I only had access to their ancient PC and couldn't work out where to put the coal!

Stayed overnight in Cardiff then got the 5:30 race bus to the start, 50 miles away in Brecon. The weather forecast all week was for rain so I made sure I had my waterproof jacket, chafeproof shorts and just one 1/2 litre water bottle as that would be enough surely. By the start at 8:00 I was wishing I had suncream and an extra bottle as there were only 4 checkpoints and it was getting quite warm!

Anyway, set off in the lead, got to the first checkpoint ok with no-one around then headed up the only big climb, 5 miles up from Talybont reservoir. I must have taken a sub-optimal route after that (my own fault) because I was only 4th at the second checkpoint, 6 minutes behind the leader. From now on the route was cycle paths all the way to the finish, like MWW but with tarmac and a few small hills so it was a pretty boring but relentless route, nearly all road and the downhill sections hurt with all the pounding.

The second half of the race was very tough. It was getting warmer and warmer, I couldn't take on enough water because of the distance between checkpoints and only having one bottle (my own fault). I just got slower and slower and was getting pretty bad cramp in my quads and then calves as well. I managed to get back two places but finished in 2nd place in 6:54, 10 minutes behind the leader.

Road ultras are tough! This was nothing like the BS. The constant pounding on the roads really hurts after a while. Still, I feel like I've learned a lot from it and hope to do better next time.

23/05/2013 at 18:53

Great evening runout at Vanessa Chapell last night, I really enjoyed it, even the hills. Cheers for the support from the marshals.

I think its convinced me to do Kettleshume and Boars Head too. I might even have a crack at the Kinder Trog.

23/05/2013 at 19:14

Thank you Mr Slug and Mr Icon

You haven't finished yet though Mr Icon! What was the result of your email to the Richmond Park RO?

23/05/2013 at 20:43

glad you all liked the race and my marshalling did not spoil your evening. Well done to Mort and GBM for spending an hour on black rocks trying to keep warm together.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.