The Wanna Blista Social Club.

37,141 to 37,160 of 40,372 messages
18/06/2013 at 13:03

RB-congrats. to her, must be in the genes and all that hard work, is that another GB vest for SH? I managed a bimble around Lyme Park, 11 miles in all-3 times up to Bowstones, it helps when you've got company and we were trying to keep you in sight.

18/06/2013 at 13:40

3 x Bowstones is good reps.

Apparently running genes come from your mother ... so we'll just put it down to hard work and great coaching by Pete and Donna.  It is actually an England vest.

Next week we're going to be repping Teggs Nose.

18/06/2013 at 18:25

Bob Graham Weekend! 

I didn't get any replies to my last question so i will try again - Due to no-one being keen on doing legs 3 and 4 on the same day shall we revert back to the original plan and do it over 3 days? Do we have the support to do this? 

18/06/2013 at 19:10

GBM - even though you were kind enough to tell me you did not want me, I might stop sulking and offer to play taxi for you.

Dear all, I am wanting to borrow roof bars for a current ford focus so we and little tst can go mtbing in the alps in a couple of months. Any offers? Our the use of a mini bus/camper van/people carrier etc

19/06/2013 at 08:47

TST - I have some roof bars that fit a 1995 Ford Mondeo. Will be suprised if they fit a current Ford Focus but you are welcome to have them. I also have a van but that will be in use.

19/06/2013 at 09:51
TST - does she need a bike as well? I have got a Bottom of the range Boardman, the rock shocks are jammed though...
19/06/2013 at 13:29

TST - I have a mate with a bike rack I could borrow. He drives a Ford Focus so it will definitely fit one! It will only hold one bike however.

GBM - I definitely think legs 3 and 4 in the same day would be a bit too much for anyone to want to do. Is there any way we could split leg 4 up, ie. do leg 3 + part of 4 on Saturday then the rest of leg 4 + leg 5 on Sunday. Someone with better (ie some) geographical knowledge of the area might be able to answer this. I guess it would come down to the support either way.

19/06/2013 at 21:16

GBM - Run to Kirk Fell on leg4 then drop down to Wasdale to camp, next day start with Great Gable and finish leg4 and then leg5. Still a long Saturday. or

Wild camp on leg4 not ideal as you will need to run with camp/ bivouac kit.

Just to help these are approx. times of each leg for 24 hr bg.

leg1 4hrs, leg2 4hr 25 mins, leg3 6hrs, leg4 5hrs 35 mins, leg5 3hrs.

Alternative complete over 2 weekends. Weekend1 do leg1&2 Friday , sat  morning take some cars to Wasdale or get support cars and run leg3 (long day)

Weekend 2 Camp Wasdale Friday night do leg4 Sat run back via Green Gable and Sty Head Tarn then down valley to Wasdale, Sunday finish with leg5.

After saying all that we might not make the weekend due to house move.

19/06/2013 at 22:57

I don't see the point of complicating things. If we are camping at Wasdale then we might as well stick to the original plan.

Friday--Legs 1 & 2

Saturday--Leg 3

Sunday--Legs 4 & 5. 

If TST and possibly JS are available for support then we are sorted. The only downside is TST and JS having to give up their time, travel up to the lakes and take all our stuff to and from Wasdale which, despite them offering, i feel a bit guilty about.

JS--Are you still available? Do you still read this thread? I might text you. 

Mr Simmons--If we go back to Plan A are you still up for it?

BG LIST (from memory)

Runners --GBM, UB, Jonah8, Ni, Mr Simmons? JMC?, FOAR (Friday only), Charlie Batho? M6s? 

Support--TST, JS?  

Lots of question marks. 

20/06/2013 at 00:57

GBM - I don't see why you should feel guilty about asking someone to spend a weekend camping/walking in Wasdale - sounds like heaven to me!

I'd do it myself, but I've got Wasdale race the week before and Old Crown Round the week after, and my chances of getting 3 consecutive Lakes weekend pass-outs are nil.

20/06/2013 at 07:49

GBM - remind me of the date agian

20/06/2013 at 10:24

GBM-hope you don't mind a couple of suggestions re. the Lakes-Plan B-go light weight with ALL your kit, Mountain maras. you have to carry all your own food (boil in the bag) and kit, camp out rough i.e have a wash etc.in the local river or Plan C-use somewhere like Burns camping in St. Johns as a base, which is central to most of the BGR, drop off each day and carry on the following day, it's 3 miles outside of Keswick, happy camping

20/06/2013 at 10:39

I was going to suggest something similar to TB, but not as extreme
i.e. carry lightweight tents in/out of Wasdale, but there is a campsite shop and also a pub to take advantage of so no need to port food/stoves etc

20/06/2013 at 11:17

Why dont you just run it one go - Can't be that hard, J8 and PP have managed it.

20/06/2013 at 11:45

GBM – I have a quick scan read every now and again, just so happens that I looked today and spotted you post! 

This BG weekend is turning in to a bit of a saga isn’t it!! My mind has been working overtime on trying to come up with a solution and so to confuse matters further here is my suggestion….

BG Weekend Plan D (or is it E…..)

Friday – Do legs 5 and 1 (those that aren’t bothered about doing leg 5 or can’t make it to the Lakes till early pm could meet up with those that have done leg 5 in Keswick and go on to do leg 1)

Saturday – Do leg 2 and part of Leg 3. Drop down off Harrison Stickle (?) to Great Langdale. If I’m thinking of the right place there’s a National Trust car park near the Old Dungeon Ghyll?

Sunday – Start from where you left off on Saturday, complete leg 3 and do leg 4.

Campsite – Although Thirlspot is a great base location for the BG attempts it’s facilities are a little limited to say the least! I have had a look into other campsites in the area and Burns Farm just over a mile from Threlkeld looks like a good option. http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=4558  If we stayed here it would mean that…

1)      It’s about a 10 minute drive in to Keswick and just a couple of mins to Threlkeld

2)      It’s roughly 40 mins from the Old Dungeon Ghyll

3)      It’s roughly 25 mins to Honister Pass

4)      If the weather’s crap (and judging by what it’s been like of late it could well be) we wouldn’t have to put up tents and take them down twice over in the rain. If you’ve never done this, believe me it’s not much fun!

5)      As Burns Farm is roughly a mile from Threlkeld it could mean that road support is not needed the Fri afternoon after leg 1 as you could just run/walk back to the campsite. This also goes for the Sat morn when you start leg 2. BUT, if support is wanted then it’s really not a problem. I realise you’ll all be doing a lot of miles so it’s only a suggestion.

6)      If the weather is bad or if people just fancy going to the pub in the evening there’s a couple to choose from in Threlkeld.

If no one’s in to this idea then I’m happy to just go with the flow.

What do you all think??

20/06/2013 at 11:47

I've spent ages trying to type this up in between work and have only just noticed TB's also suggested Burns Farm.

TB - Great minds think alike!!

20/06/2013 at 13:03

BG weekenders--I think we've just been chicked!

JS--That all looks great to me! One base (which looks better) and less travelling for supporters. Good work!!  Well it was till the bit where you said TB had a great mind. 

What does everyone else think? 

JMC--Are you joining us or not?

20/06/2013 at 13:18

Sounds like a good plan to me - no carrying of tents or kit other than what would be required to complete the section we are currently doing.

Speaking of which, just looking about the Kinder Trog.... "Full body cover to be carried". Does anyone actually do this or is it like the BS where you just sign and that's that?

20/06/2013 at 13:42

GBM - which weekend is it?

NI - you definitely need to carry full body cover. I have a suit of armour you can borrow.

But this might put you off.

http://www.today.com/health/running-farther-faster-longer-can-kill-you-1C7388868

20/06/2013 at 13:46

GBM / NI  - Glad you like.

I have emailed the campsite and asked if they have room for approx 8 - 10 small tents, I will let you know when I get a reply. If its full, we could always try the Castlerigg one nearer Keswick.

I forgot to mention earlier....does anyone have a bike rack that I could borrow for the BG weekend please? It would need to be one that goes on the back of the car, not a roof top one. If not, I struggle to fit more than 1 person in the car.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.