The Wanna Blista Social Club.

37,421 to 37,440 of 39,509 messages
16/07/2013 at 16:14

anyone else for Macc Forest tomorrow evening?

Race List
Wed 17 Jul - Macc Forest 5 - GBM, Daz 
Fri 19 Jul - Sun 21 Jul - BG Weekend
Sun 21 Jul - Great Hucklow FR - Daz
Thu 25 Jul - Wizard 5 - GBM, BB 
Sat 27 Jul - Old Crown Round - Daz 
Wed 31 Jul - Millbrook Monster - GBM 
Fri 02 Aug - Salt Cellar FR (Ladybower) - Daz
Sun 04 Aug - Dovedale Dipper - GBM, TB, clairster, mort
Wed 07 Aug - Cracken Edge - GBM, Daz, NI
Sat 10 Aug - Long Tour Of Bradwell - Daz
Wed 14 Aug - Eccles Pike - GBM, Daz
Wed 21 Aug - Capenhurst 5k - Daz
Sat 07 Sep - Bullock Smithy Hike - UB, GBM, Jonah, ES, FOAR, TB, NI, Daz
Sun 08 Sep - Gritstone grind - clairster, mort
Sun 15 Sep - Great North Run - FOAR 
Sun 15 Sep - Bristol Half - RC 
Sat 21 Sep - JW ultra - clairster
Sat 28 Sep - Causeway coast ultra - clairster
Sun 29 Sep - Berlin Marathon - Mttb 
Sat 05 Oct - Goyt Valley mara - clairster
Sun 06 Oct - Brussels Marathon - BB 
Sun 13 Oct - Windgather FR - Daz
Sun 20 Oct - Yorkshire Marathon - UB, Jonah, RC
Sun 27 Oct - Frankfurt Marathon - NI
Fri 17 Jun 2016 - Bob Graham Round - GBM, ES

Edited: 16/07/2013 at 16:16
16/07/2013 at 17:26

PPP - hope you are doing OK. You've been on the missing persons list for a while now (as has VL!). I just saw that a couple of cheques from Feb for Tithe Barn have been cashed. How is your friend doing and how did the fundraising go?

16/07/2013 at 17:53

BB - many thanks for the lovely bottle. Very kind of you.

16/07/2013 at 21:44

GBM. M6 is going to give you a BG map tomorrow at The Macc 5 

M6 thanks very much for the Clif bars

16/07/2013 at 23:14

Jonah8/Mickey6-- Erm, unfortunately i'm not going to be able to do the Macc Forest 5 as i've got too much to do tomorrow evening.  

16/07/2013 at 23:15
BB - Thanks. Doing ok, finding it hard to maintain my training due to heat and the demands of kids cricket but ticking over. Thanks to your good self and many other kind people on the thread and beyond have raised about 950 in total. Some has gone directly to Christie's young oncology unit.

Sadly, the latest prognosis for Luca is that he has a just a few weeks. But I know that the monies raised by the school have really helped the family make the most of the time they have had and they have been very keen to keep things as low key and "normal" as possible. He has been in school whenever possible and they have had a holiday together.

Best of luck to the bg'ers. I would have liked to join you all, enjoy!
17/07/2013 at 09:03

SW - you're very welcome - hope it extends the honeymoon by at least a day!

PPP - glad you're OK. Sorry to hear about Luca's condition. Hope he is comforatble and gets as much time with his family as possible.

Good luck to the Macc Foresters this evening and hope all the BGers have a great trip!

17/07/2013 at 12:13

Daz, 23 secs short is all I can say.

Well done Eric, you picked a great weekend for it. Albeit a bit hot.

Some brief race reports...

After my disastourous Llandudno tri, being stung in the face by jelly fish (twice) and I didn't figure the Great Orme to be that steep and I don't do hills very well. Finished 24th which was crap to be honest.
Simon K had a blinding bike section and does hills exceptionally well and qualified.

So turned up at Liverpool Oly tri to see hoards of jelly fish in the water and promptly panicked. I also thought it would be fresh water?
My target was for a sub 1.10.
I still can't swim fast but better than expected. Managed a sub 59min 40k bike and a 35.53 10k run in the heat, but didn't seem to suffer like others.

Ended up in exactly the same position as Notts sprint in 17th place (2.08.14) so pleased with the time and beat quite a few that trounced me at Notts and Llandudno.
Unlike Manc 10k, Liverpool was a bit short (when I wanted it to be long), more like a 36.xx 10k so my running hasn't suffered too much with X-training. 23 secs off qualifying so got a bit closer this time (but not close enough).

85th in the swim, 9th on bike and 4th on run. That speaks for itself.

Good luck racers  anmd BGers the weekend.

I've now got nothing planned for the rest of the year but toying with a Half IM in September.

17/07/2013 at 12:20

SARQ - well done, looks like you need to improve your swimming.

PPP - how do the "demands of kids cricket" compare to spending a day platerboarding. The last kids cricket match I attended (last week) I spent most of it sat in a deckchair having a drink. It was exhausting!

17/07/2013 at 13:26

SARQ - thanks for the run on Monday. After you turned off, I ran down the Mersey as far as the pyramid (the Mersey is that tidal river that runs from Stockport to Liverpool).

17/07/2013 at 13:54
JMC - it is the time it takes up!
Sarq - well done!
17/07/2013 at 17:21

Good luck to BG team.  It seems like you have nice weather, but you never know what to expect on the top of them hills.

SARQ, good effort to finish 17th after being 85th in the swim.  And a sub 36 10k at the end is impressive going.

Well done to ES on being the first (that I know of) to complete the coast-to-coast.  Is it a race?  Do you run with a group or on your own?  Waiting for your report.

Sale Sizzler for me tomorrow. 17:26 last time.  I would be surprised if that was good enough to defend my v50 title but I don't feel I can go much quicker at the moment. 

17/07/2013 at 20:11

Well done all racers on your performances.

I wasn't expecting to have to write a race report on my coast to coast but due to the demand for one I'll give it a shot.

A friend of mine mentioned last October that he was looking to do a running challenge for charity and wanted to know if I was up for assisting him.  I naturally said yes, only to find out from him the following month that the challenge he had planned was going to take place over 5 days and was the coast to coast cycle route.

The route he had planned was 140 miles so I suggested that instead of 5 days we do it over 2 or 3.  He declined as he wanted it to be achievable for him and didn't want to let down his charity (NSPCC) by bailing out.  I agreed but as a compromise I got my wish by doing it East to West to make it tougher in the prevailing winds (which naturally didn't come in to play last week!).

There were many months of logistical planning and then last Monday after picking a hire car up from the airport, we were on our way.  We headed to Keswick and dropped off a few drinks, gels and a bit of kit.  We then did the same at Penrith, Nenthead and Consett before dropping the hire car off in Newcastle and heading to the coast for our first night's sleep.

On the Tuesday morning we got a taxi to Tynemouth and had a small breakfast in a café.  At 9.00am we headed down to the beach to ensure our feet made contact with the sea.  The temperature was already high and I was plastered in sun protector of a high factor.  Being self supported I had quite a bit of kit to carry so I used my OMM 10 litre bad attached to my OMM 6 litre bum bag and it felt very comfortable.

Within 30 minutes I was drenched with sweat and my eyes were stinging.  The second best thing I did all week was remembering I had my buff with me.  I'd bought this as a neck warmer in the winter but realised that it would be just as effective as a headband/sun protector.  It did the trick brilliantly and is the single most important item I think I've ever purchased as a runner.  Carrying 3 bottles of Lucozade sport was never going to be enough for the day so we never missed an opportunity to buy drinks en-route.  The first 20 miles of the day were flattish but the last 7 were mostly uphill.  We were extremely pleased to get to the finish in Consett.  It had peaked at 29 degrees in Durham that day - the hottest place in the country.  We stayed in a fantastic Inn that night and had the most enormous Cod and chips I've ever seen.

The following morning I knew I needed to sort something out with my shoes.  I had developed two big blisters on the left two toes of my left foot.  This was due to the shoes (Adidas Kanadia) which I'd only worn twice before, being too narrow on my left foot due to my bunion!  I therefore got a pair of scissors and promptly cut a hole in the top.  For the rest of the week they were absolutely brilliant - the best decision I made all week.

The Wednesday involved an undulating, mostly uphill run of 30 miles to finish in Nenthead, which is in the middle of nowhere.  It was extremely hot again but now we were getting into the open countryside and the views were amazing.  After another run of about 5 hours we arrived knackered.  They should have had a little lad playing a banjo outside our B&B - it was a very strange place.  The landlady showed us our room, although it actually consisted of our own lounge, kitchen, 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms!  She told us some strange stories including the last people who stayed there (3 lads in their early 20s) who sawed one of the beds in half so that there mate, when getting on the bed, would fall through - childish!  We had a great meal in the local pub on

17/07/2013 at 20:15

the Wednesday.

Thursday started with a hill that went on for 2 miles and was difficult to walk up - it was steeper than Winnats Pass!  11 miles in to the run we were stopped on a main A road by a fire engine who asked us if we'd stayed in a B&B in Nenthead the night before.  We thought that we were going to get the damaged bed incident pinned on us!  It turned out that my mate had left his mobile phone there and the landlady had spent the last hour or so driving all over the place trying to find us.  There was no way of phoning her because we had no reception on mine but we were only 3 miles from the Hartside Café (near Alston) which was right on top of the moor.  Every car and cyclist we passed on the way knew who we were, as did everyone at the café when we arrived.  Why she didn't just leave the phone at the café, I don't know!  I gave her a call and she said she'd just got in.  I convinced here to drive the 13 miles back to us and we would give her £20 petrol money.  She suggested we started running back towards her - crazy woman!  Finally we got on our way and completed the final 14 miles of the day to Penrith.

Friday was the shortest day with 24 miles, finishing in Keswick.  It was also the flattest run of the week.  It seemed to go very quick and we were finished before 2pm.  We checked in to the YHA right next to the river, had a shower and then went down to the river for an hour to cool our feet.  We had a great afternoon and evening in Keswick and even got the chance to see a BG attempt to set off from Moot Hall.  The attempt was made by a Glossop runner and he was being supported on the whole run by someone who had completed the BG last month!  I took a photo of Moot Hall which is now my screensaver and also my inspiration for my own BG attempt in due course.

We were up very, very early on Saturday morning because the room was just too hot.  We set off running soon after 6am for our last 28 miles.  Fantastic conditions once again and we unbelievably got to Workington at the lighthouse and it was still AM, with the families waiting for us.

It was one of the most enjoyable running experiences I've had.  Every day felt easier and I didn't have one niggle or injury.  It's provided me with a great base for Bullock and most importantly got my mojo totally back and given me the confidence that I can one day make a serious Bob graham attempt.

Apologies that the wit, humour, bad language is not up to the standards of GBM!

17/07/2013 at 20:51
ES - THAT is a great report, maybe not as funny as GBM but at least you used the Buff for it's true purpose. Fantastic effort! Well done, inspirational stuff.
17/07/2013 at 22:08

Eric-

18/07/2013 at 00:17

Eric--Brilliant report! Well done again. 

18/07/2013 at 09:33

ES - well done on your efforts. I have stayed at Nenthead, it is pretty isolated and must only survive due to the Coast 2 Coast cyclists and walkers.

Your route description seems quite accurate (its lacking some of your usual positive spin) although there is no way the hill out of Nenthead is as steep as Winnats. I imagine the descent down Hartside was pretty good as I remember it took forever to get up it. My wife had a right strop when she had walked her bike all the way to the top, arrived just after the cafe had closed only to be told there was another 15 hilly miles before we got to Nenthead.

Which route did you take from Keswick to Workington as that is pretty hilly?

19/07/2013 at 08:48

Eric - great report of an epic run - thanks for sharing it with us! I'm sure in this weather it was much harder than you made it sound. Congratulations! Hope your friend enjoyed it as well.

Now we just have to wait for the 'BG Weekend' reports to start rolling in.....

19/07/2013 at 08:53

Looks like BHB got "henned" by a V40 female last night at the Sizzler. I don't think you can be chicked by a 40yr old, it doesn't sound right.

At least he took part, unlike some of us who couldn't be arsed due to the heat.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.