The Wanna Blista Social Club.

37,421 to 37,440 of 40,281 messages
17/07/2013 at 17:21

Good luck to BG team.  It seems like you have nice weather, but you never know what to expect on the top of them hills.

SARQ, good effort to finish 17th after being 85th in the swim.  And a sub 36 10k at the end is impressive going.

Well done to ES on being the first (that I know of) to complete the coast-to-coast.  Is it a race?  Do you run with a group or on your own?  Waiting for your report.

Sale Sizzler for me tomorrow. 17:26 last time.  I would be surprised if that was good enough to defend my v50 title but I don't feel I can go much quicker at the moment. 

17/07/2013 at 20:11

Well done all racers on your performances.

I wasn't expecting to have to write a race report on my coast to coast but due to the demand for one I'll give it a shot.

A friend of mine mentioned last October that he was looking to do a running challenge for charity and wanted to know if I was up for assisting him.  I naturally said yes, only to find out from him the following month that the challenge he had planned was going to take place over 5 days and was the coast to coast cycle route.

The route he had planned was 140 miles so I suggested that instead of 5 days we do it over 2 or 3.  He declined as he wanted it to be achievable for him and didn't want to let down his charity (NSPCC) by bailing out.  I agreed but as a compromise I got my wish by doing it East to West to make it tougher in the prevailing winds (which naturally didn't come in to play last week!).

There were many months of logistical planning and then last Monday after picking a hire car up from the airport, we were on our way.  We headed to Keswick and dropped off a few drinks, gels and a bit of kit.  We then did the same at Penrith, Nenthead and Consett before dropping the hire car off in Newcastle and heading to the coast for our first night's sleep.

On the Tuesday morning we got a taxi to Tynemouth and had a small breakfast in a café.  At 9.00am we headed down to the beach to ensure our feet made contact with the sea.  The temperature was already high and I was plastered in sun protector of a high factor.  Being self supported I had quite a bit of kit to carry so I used my OMM 10 litre bad attached to my OMM 6 litre bum bag and it felt very comfortable.

Within 30 minutes I was drenched with sweat and my eyes were stinging.  The second best thing I did all week was remembering I had my buff with me.  I'd bought this as a neck warmer in the winter but realised that it would be just as effective as a headband/sun protector.  It did the trick brilliantly and is the single most important item I think I've ever purchased as a runner.  Carrying 3 bottles of Lucozade sport was never going to be enough for the day so we never missed an opportunity to buy drinks en-route.  The first 20 miles of the day were flattish but the last 7 were mostly uphill.  We were extremely pleased to get to the finish in Consett.  It had peaked at 29 degrees in Durham that day - the hottest place in the country.  We stayed in a fantastic Inn that night and had the most enormous Cod and chips I've ever seen.

The following morning I knew I needed to sort something out with my shoes.  I had developed two big blisters on the left two toes of my left foot.  This was due to the shoes (Adidas Kanadia) which I'd only worn twice before, being too narrow on my left foot due to my bunion!  I therefore got a pair of scissors and promptly cut a hole in the top.  For the rest of the week they were absolutely brilliant - the best decision I made all week.

The Wednesday involved an undulating, mostly uphill run of 30 miles to finish in Nenthead, which is in the middle of nowhere.  It was extremely hot again but now we were getting into the open countryside and the views were amazing.  After another run of about 5 hours we arrived knackered.  They should have had a little lad playing a banjo outside our B&B - it was a very strange place.  The landlady showed us our room, although it actually consisted of our own lounge, kitchen, 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms!  She told us some strange stories including the last people who stayed there (3 lads in their early 20s) who sawed one of the beds in half so that there mate, when getting on the bed, would fall through - childish!  We had a great meal in the local pub on

17/07/2013 at 20:15

the Wednesday.

Thursday started with a hill that went on for 2 miles and was difficult to walk up - it was steeper than Winnats Pass!  11 miles in to the run we were stopped on a main A road by a fire engine who asked us if we'd stayed in a B&B in Nenthead the night before.  We thought that we were going to get the damaged bed incident pinned on us!  It turned out that my mate had left his mobile phone there and the landlady had spent the last hour or so driving all over the place trying to find us.  There was no way of phoning her because we had no reception on mine but we were only 3 miles from the Hartside Café (near Alston) which was right on top of the moor.  Every car and cyclist we passed on the way knew who we were, as did everyone at the café when we arrived.  Why she didn't just leave the phone at the café, I don't know!  I gave her a call and she said she'd just got in.  I convinced here to drive the 13 miles back to us and we would give her £20 petrol money.  She suggested we started running back towards her - crazy woman!  Finally we got on our way and completed the final 14 miles of the day to Penrith.

Friday was the shortest day with 24 miles, finishing in Keswick.  It was also the flattest run of the week.  It seemed to go very quick and we were finished before 2pm.  We checked in to the YHA right next to the river, had a shower and then went down to the river for an hour to cool our feet.  We had a great afternoon and evening in Keswick and even got the chance to see a BG attempt to set off from Moot Hall.  The attempt was made by a Glossop runner and he was being supported on the whole run by someone who had completed the BG last month!  I took a photo of Moot Hall which is now my screensaver and also my inspiration for my own BG attempt in due course.

We were up very, very early on Saturday morning because the room was just too hot.  We set off running soon after 6am for our last 28 miles.  Fantastic conditions once again and we unbelievably got to Workington at the lighthouse and it was still AM, with the families waiting for us.

It was one of the most enjoyable running experiences I've had.  Every day felt easier and I didn't have one niggle or injury.  It's provided me with a great base for Bullock and most importantly got my mojo totally back and given me the confidence that I can one day make a serious Bob graham attempt.

Apologies that the wit, humour, bad language is not up to the standards of GBM!

17/07/2013 at 20:51
ES - THAT is a great report, maybe not as funny as GBM but at least you used the Buff for it's true purpose. Fantastic effort! Well done, inspirational stuff.
17/07/2013 at 22:08

Eric-

18/07/2013 at 00:17

Eric--Brilliant report! Well done again. 

18/07/2013 at 09:33

ES - well done on your efforts. I have stayed at Nenthead, it is pretty isolated and must only survive due to the Coast 2 Coast cyclists and walkers.

Your route description seems quite accurate (its lacking some of your usual positive spin) although there is no way the hill out of Nenthead is as steep as Winnats. I imagine the descent down Hartside was pretty good as I remember it took forever to get up it. My wife had a right strop when she had walked her bike all the way to the top, arrived just after the cafe had closed only to be told there was another 15 hilly miles before we got to Nenthead.

Which route did you take from Keswick to Workington as that is pretty hilly?

19/07/2013 at 08:48

Eric - great report of an epic run - thanks for sharing it with us! I'm sure in this weather it was much harder than you made it sound. Congratulations! Hope your friend enjoyed it as well.

Now we just have to wait for the 'BG Weekend' reports to start rolling in.....

19/07/2013 at 08:53

Looks like BHB got "henned" by a V40 female last night at the Sizzler. I don't think you can be chicked by a 40yr old, it doesn't sound right.

At least he took part, unlike some of us who couldn't be arsed due to the heat.

19/07/2013 at 09:50

ES - epic run and great report.  Good job your buff was unused.

Look forward to BHB's report.

I've entered Arley Half on Sunday - for the first time ever I'm seriously considering "I'm just doing it as a training run" excuse.

19/07/2013 at 12:12

RB-this "hardly Half", is it a short course, as some of the threadites might be interested in a quick time

19/07/2013 at 16:30

JMC - RE: Keswick to Workington route.  We headed down towards Bassenthwaite and went up a very steep climb through Wythop Woods.  It was then minor roads, through farms and open fields to Cockermouth.

19/07/2013 at 17:39

Eric-sounds like you caught some short cuts, have you thought of doing the Arley Half , seriously, well done, you're probably our leading runner at the moment -RB doesn't count because he's Wilmslow.

19/07/2013 at 23:23

ES epic run and epic report, in two episodes.

Congratulations to BB for picking up age category prize yestarday, one of many Stockport runners who were victorious.

To humour JMC and RB...having run the last SS with mile splits of 5:17, 5:37 and 5:39 I thought I would go for an even 5:30 plan which I thought achievable.  First mile on time but then I slowed by 15 sec for mile 2 and a further 15 sec for mile 3.  Probably the worse 5k race I have run.  No plasterboaring or training run excuses and I didn't give up, just a bad run. 

I hope them BGers packed their suncream!

20/07/2013 at 09:55

RB - see you at Arley Hall tomorrow (at least at the start!)

20/07/2013 at 13:21

Just got back from the Lakes, had to come back early with Charlie(thanks for the lift home)

Early start yesterday morning, JS dropped us all off at Honister and we headed off to complete leg 5, that's the first time I have run this leg since my attempt, didn't remember any of it.

We all managed to get down unscathed until we got on the flat near Newlands and I fell flat on my face and ended up with a swollen bloody elbow.

We replenished our food and water supplies in Keswick the headed up Skiddaw that is one steep bloody hill it seemed to go on forever, by now the heat was unbearable and it started to take its toll

Me, GBM and NI went up Great Calva and the rest decided to contour around it and meet us near the river, by now I was out of water and started to feel dizzy, GBM kindly gave me a drink and I took a gel and some Kendal mint cake, it seemed to do the trick because I descended off Great Calva at a steady pace.

We took a wrong turn at the bottom but with JS's whistling skills we noticed them half way up Blenchara, trouble was we had to run through waist deep heather.

Once at the top of Blenchara, UB shown me a route straight off it and I wouldn't even go near the edge, then on the way down Doddick I realised that was the route I did on my attempt( ignorance is bliss)

Got back to the Salutation for a well earned pint of cider

Had a fantastic couple of days, we should make this an annual event

20/07/2013 at 17:47

Well done J8! Thanks for the update.

20/07/2013 at 21:52

Fantastic effort BG'ers.  Think I'll read 'Feet in the Clouds' again!

21/07/2013 at 10:06

FOAR-happy birthday

21/07/2013 at 21:31

BG weekenders - Thanks all for a great weekend!! I'll post some picks when I get a mo.

J8, NI - https://www.physique.co.uk/dolc_product.asp?CaNo=58&SubId=95&PCId=683

FOAR - Happy Birthday old boy 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.