things-that-are/are-not-important-to-you-on-the-internet

Or how important is the Internet to your psyche?

1 to 20 of 74 messages
07/08/2013 at 19:09

Aren't those two different questions?

07/08/2013 at 19:12

I think the two articles are quite separate issues. 

While I don't support the actions of the people attacking the woman in the second article aggressive feminists can't be shocked by the abuse and I suspect a number of them like the attention because it 'proves' their point.

I don't understand what is happening in the first article. The parents need to be on top of both the children being abused and the abusers. 

07/08/2013 at 19:13
kittenkat wrote (see)

My question is how serious and widespread are the problems that impact individuals through Internet interaction?

How do you on a personal level view the Internet and your interaction and responsibility towards what you post and how that might influence other people?

For some people, very, particularly youngsters.  Facebook is probably the worst. It's a big part of their lives and it's a major way that they communicate, so when bullying occurs, it can be as bad as in 'real life'.  Personally, I don't bother with any of that rubbish.

I have recently had a problem with someone on another site I frequent.  I tried to sort it out, but when this wouldn't work, I used the ignore button.  Now he doesn't exist to me.  Simple

I'm always respectful towards people- I wouldn't say something on the net that I wouldn't be prepared to say to your face  So, being a fairly civilised kind of chap, I just walk away from any pointless argueeing, etc   It is easy for what you say to be taken the wrong way, so it pays to use the smileys extensively  

07/08/2013 at 19:15
TimR wrote (see)

While I don't support the actions of the people attacking the woman in the second article aggressive feminists can't be shocked by the abuse and I suspect a number of them like the attention because it 'proves' their point.

Yeah, every woman likes a rape threat Tim. WTF?

07/08/2013 at 19:18

I'm generally careful what I post. Some of the reactions show how easily  or primed to be offended some people are.

Personally I've ensured that social net works have a zero role in my life. RW doesn't count. I'm not looking for a relationship with 3rd parties.

Its a pity that people have developed a life in which facebook, twitter etc becomes so fundamental to their very existance that they cannot switch it off.

07/08/2013 at 19:23
TimR wrote (see)

Why can't feminists be shocked by abuse?  Should threats of violence be acceptable because someone is a feminist?

I find the anger that some men show towards women quite alarming.  Why get so angry because someone wants to put a woman's face on a bank note?  

Edited: 07/08/2013 at 19:26
07/08/2013 at 19:30

It's classic victim blaming Wilkie - they can't be shocked because, they were "asking for it" by being "aggressive" feminists apparently. Although I can't see what was aggressive about them TBH.

07/08/2013 at 20:06

I think we can safely say that there are some bat shit crazy people on the internet:

The reaction the GQ One Direction cover shoot:

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/entertainment/articles/2013-07/30/one-direction-gq-covers-most-terrifying-responses

07/08/2013 at 20:34

Since they're all illiterate I wonder attracts them to a keyboard? Do they just mash it with a fist and that sh*t is what comes out? Do they dictate it to slightly more intelligent chimpanzees?

07/08/2013 at 20:46

"Pull your eyes out with a spork"  Niiice!

07/08/2013 at 21:04

Very much with Screama re Tim's post. Agressive?? Caroline C-P was pushing for female representation on bank notes, not for cutting men's nuts off

07/08/2013 at 21:32
Screamapillar wrote (see)
TimR wrote (see)

Yeah, every woman likes a rape threat Tim. WTF?

That's not what I was suggesting. Rape threats are the extreme end.

So, the only article she ever wrote was about bank notes?

I don't know who she is or have even read any of her previous articles I just have read a few from her ilk and they blame men for every problem in their lives. 

I don't know what's wrong with them but they have some issues and by continuing as some sort of feminist warriors is agressive, not in a violent way but a tenacious way.  

07/08/2013 at 21:42

So basically you know nothing about her or her views and yet have decided that she's an aggressive feminist.

Seems entirely reasonable

07/08/2013 at 21:54

In the article she says it's not unusual. I can't believe people get abuse for campaigning for a picture of a woman on a banknote. 

Remember the press are there to sensationalise and sell papers. Including her. 

07/08/2013 at 22:27

TimR - I 'can't believe' it either, but not in the sense of 'I do not believe that this thing happened', rather in the sense that 'it beggars belief that this sort of aggressive misogyny (still) goes on'.

07/08/2013 at 22:31

Is Prof Beard an aggressive feminist as well???  She seems pretty calm to me anytime I have heard her speak.

07/08/2013 at 22:32
Some people like to be offended, so seeing feminists raging like a modern day Mary Whitehouse is no surprise to me.
07/08/2013 at 22:36

Oh, hello Mr A, I thought you'd gone (again).

07/08/2013 at 22:38
Screama - this has nothing to do with 'they were asking for it'. It was wrong, they went to the police, people were arrested. Job done. Where they are wrong, is they are using their extreme example and wanting twitter/the internet to change to accomodate.

Ive read like a million stories about this woman on a banknote issue and the resultant furore on Twitter but in not one single story has anyone said:

a) How many tweets are made daily on Twitter

b) How many of those tweets fall into the extreme example illustrated here.

So they themselves dont even know the extent of the problem, yet somehow want to foist a solution onto the rest of us.

No-one is holding a gun to peoples head to participate in Twitter. You already have 3 options.

1) Dont join Twitter at all (funnily enough life still goes on if you dont join it)

2) Block or ignore the person who's messages you dont like.

3) If the message is extreme enough, contact police.

I fail to see how the above 3 options doesnt provide enough solutions to solve any issue people have. Yet somehow we have some johnny come latelys who apparently know better and want to foist another solution into the mix.
07/08/2013 at 22:39
Literatin - Nah just been busy...
1 to 20 of 74 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.