Things you want to say but can't

A chance to get it off your chest

14,601 to 14,620 of 16,751 messages
18/04/2013 at 11:41

Dear MIL - whilst I don't mind your first words when you come in being "Stick the kettle on", even though I might be doing something else, I would really appreciate it if you'd use the coasters to put your mug on. In fact it's difficult to miss the coasters as there are generally at least 3 on each table, but you somehow manage to do this. I've even watched you carefully move a coaster to one side so that you can make a nice ring on my rather expensive furniture.

The next time I will be making a similar mark on your forehead.

18/04/2013 at 12:15

Dear work colleague,

Repeating comedy sketch show catchphrases some of which that are nearly 30 years old does not make you a comedy genius but it could make me into a murderer.

Stop for both our sakes........ and because I said the word "stop" this is not your cue to say "carry on"

18/04/2013 at 12:22

oirish, you should beat him to the punchline with a "hammertime" of your own.

18/04/2013 at 12:24
AgentGinger wrote (see)

oirish, you should beat him to the punchline with a "hammertime" of your own.

Or just beat him with a hammer.

18/04/2013 at 12:25
Muttley wrote (see)

I am so tired of these soshul meeja campaigns trying to get people to make a spurious "look at me, I'm in with the in-crowd" gesture in "solidarity" with something or other. Usually dreamt up as a clever wheeze on Facebook or Twatter over a double espresso by a bunch of "creatives" in skinny jeans, sleeveless pullovers and oversized fake NHS glasses. And usually urged on us by someone who's not been on the forum before. A minute of so of contemplation and reflection is quite enough and more appropriate.

My thoughts too, Muttley.

18/04/2013 at 12:33
oirisheyes wrote (see)

Dear work colleague,

Repeating comedy sketch show catchphrases some of which that are nearly 30 years old does not make you a comedy genius but it could make me into a murderer.

Stop for both our sakes........ and because I said the word "stop" this is not your cue to say "carry on"

I used to work with a bloke like that, his speciality was reeling off Monty Python sketches - luckily he was out on his rounds most of the day because he really was an utter twat.

18/04/2013 at 12:39
Wilkie wrote (see)
Muttley wrote (see)

I am so tired of these soshul meeja campaigns trying to get people to make a spurious "look at me, I'm in with the in-crowd" gesture in "solidarity" with something or other. Usually dreamt up as a clever wheeze on Facebook or Twatter over a double espresso by a bunch of "creatives" in skinny jeans, sleeveless pullovers and oversized fake NHS glasses. And usually urged on us by someone who's not been on the forum before. A minute of so of contemplation and reflection is quite enough and more appropriate.

And mine. Glad I'm not the only one to find the whole thing cringeworthy, as I was feeling a big guilty. Even though I do feel a sense of solidarity.

18/04/2013 at 15:04

Dear PPI call centre person - I have already explained I'm not interested and have asked repeatedly to be taken off of whatever list you have me on. I feel it necessary to warn you and your work colleagues that I'm currently looking at air horns on Amazon should you decide to call again

18/04/2013 at 16:04

I have mentioned this problem three times to 2 different people.

So how come when I just mentioned it in the meeting one of you behaved as if it was the first time you have heard of it?

And how come the person who is supposed to be able to fix it hasn't fixed it? 

18/04/2013 at 16:09
Wilkie wrote (see)
Muttley wrote (see)

I'm worried that i'm becoming to trendy... Somoene at work suggested I buy a pair of those oversized NHS Glasses... Save me from hell!!

18/04/2013 at 16:16
Guarddog wrote (see)

Dear PPI call centre person - I have already explained I'm not interested and have asked repeatedly to be taken off of whatever list you have me on. I feel it necessary to warn you and your work colleagues that I'm currently looking at air horns on Amazon should you decide to call again

I've never understood why some people can't just hang up on these cold callers.  After all, we may not like them very much but they are just people trying to make enough to live on.  Offering to blow an air horn/whistle/personal alarm down the phone at them (which could result in permanent hearing damage, btw, and there is documentary evidence of it happening) just seems a bit petulant.  You have control of the call - hang up.

18/04/2013 at 16:21

Or get caller display and don't even pick up. That's what we do.

gingerfurball    pirate
18/04/2013 at 16:29

I just hang up - if they think it's rude then their problem...it was rude of them to phone me in the first place.

18/04/2013 at 16:32

i try the "just wait till I find the details..." routine and go off and watch tv or something leaving them on the other end of the line.

18/04/2013 at 16:49

Dear daughter.,

You are now nearly 12 months old.  You can SEE that I'm making you a bottle. You must recognise this, so just STOP bloody crying.

Love Daddy

18/04/2013 at 22:12

A certain voluntary activity I take part in, which I don't like doing and which gives me a lot of stress, and which will become virtually impossible for me to do from about September, so I have given my notice... by that time I will have been doing it for nearly 2 years.  and now the "chairman" if you like is sounding off about me, not quite sure what he is saying, but what in fact have I done wrong?  I have "done my bit" I have tried my best, I have put loads in, would he rather I had never volunteered in the first place?

18/04/2013 at 22:28

Oh I know that one Mad4morris.

I was very activly involved in a charity a number of years ago.  In fact I was the only one with any organisational and business skills.  The rest of the committee were keen volunteers but they didn't understand the importance of accounts and legal responsibilities.  I was also the only one who had a job at the time.

I handed in my notice due to ill health and was publically slated because of my lack of committment to the charity as I never once helped out during the week.  They seemed to forget about the three evenings I dedicated each week and most Saturday afternoons

19/04/2013 at 08:13
Crazy Diamond wrote (see)
Guarddog wrote (see)

I've never understood why some people can't just hang up on these cold callers.  After all, we may not like them very much but they are just people trying to make enough to live on.  Offering to blow an air horn/whistle/personal alarm down the phone at them (which could result in permanent hearing damage, btw, and there is documentary evidence of it happening) just seems a bit petulant.  You have control of the call - hang up.

Well this is 'Things you want to say but can't' 

You're right hanging up is within my control and it's more the frustration than any intention to shatter someones ear drums. And that's more frustration that I'm too polite to just hang up. And the phone has caller display but it doesn't tell me who it is and I don't recognise the number. I often get called by agencies with the potential for other jobs so I wouldn't want to miss those. However I do now block the PPI numbers.

The ones that really really do get to me now are when it's a recorded message. Can I blow an air horn down at them? Can I? Can I?

19/04/2013 at 08:41
I haven't had a real person on a PPI call for ages. Always a recorded message. I've usually hung up within a second.
gingerfurball    pirate
19/04/2013 at 09:27

My daughter used to work in a call centre so is really nice to the ones who call - cuts them off short but is still nice.

14,601 to 14,620 of 16,751 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.