Things you want to say but can't

A chance to get it off your chest

14,661 to 14,680 of 16,057 messages
17/04/2013 at 11:23

What does it say about our ability to feel empathy that on the day of the Boston bombing another similar abhorrent act in Iraq cost 50 odd lives and injured twice as many people as in Boston yet got barely a side glance from our traditional and social media?

Firstly this is not a political point I am making, both events disgust me equally and the parralels are endless. On this forum I can understand that there may be people who had friends and love ones running and watching and also as runners we feel a bit closer to the event than most but in general TV, radio and social media has been ramping up the "tragedy and devastation" angle of Boston and yet similar events overseas get the factual treatment.

The uncomfortable question I'm asking is this; is there a sub concious racism involved here? Are we just naturally more empathetic to people who look like us and live lives similar to ourselves? Or are we just more innured to events in the Middle East?

17/04/2013 at 11:25

"Are we just naturally more empathetic to people who look like us and live lives similar to ourselves?"

Of course we are, and it dates all the way back to when we were chimpanzees.

Its why we've clustered together in small groups. 

17/04/2013 at 11:34

Clustering?  Groups?  together?

*shudder*

17/04/2013 at 11:48

DF3 - By "We" I'm hoping you mean Man not you and your friends back home in Oz

17/04/2013 at 12:25
oirisheyes wrote (see)

The uncomfortable question I'm asking is this; is there a sub concious racism involved here? Are we just naturally more empathetic to people who look like us and live lives similar to ourselves? Or are we just more innured to events in the Middle East?

It's a bit of both but I don't think it's racism. There's always been the theory that one person dying in your street is of more interest than 500 dying in China.

Why we are increasingly treating events that happened in the US as though they happened here might be relevant question, although common language will have a lot to do with it. Once news has to be filtered through interpreters it loses its immediacy.

There's also freedom of the press. Not all nation's governments allow the unrestricted to-ing and fro-ing of information that we accept as a given.

17/04/2013 at 12:32

The thing is a bomb going off in the US doesnt happen all the time, whereas we would probably be surprised if they reported that no bomb had gone off in Iraq today.

17/04/2013 at 12:44

That's also true.

17/04/2013 at 12:58

Dear George Osborne, were you really crying over Thatcher?

Be honest, you had a pair of tweezers hidden down there didn't you?

17/04/2013 at 13:04
My name is Womble and I went to the funeral procession.
17/04/2013 at 14:08

Dear woman at the Virgin Active gym last night - I have noticed you over the last three months. It's difficult not to as on occasions you have been bent over a bench working your triceps in front of me and that has left me thanking whoever invented Lycra. Thank you for the smile yesterday - it really made my day. And if I'd had the nerve I would have congratulated you. They are magnificent.

17/04/2013 at 15:01

Oh you perve Guarddog  :-P

17/04/2013 at 15:14

DF3 has hit the nail on the head.

Bombs and death in Iraq happen so often, they are not "news" any more.

17/04/2013 at 15:53

You run an excellent practice and I've been coming to you for 20 years. I've always been very happy with the service and treatment.

I don't doubt the professionalism and skill with which you installed that crown today but for £400 it had better last a long long time ... £400 ... ouch.

17/04/2013 at 16:50
Screamapillar wrote (see)

Oh you perve Guarddog  :-P

What can I say apart from "Hubbahubba"

17/04/2013 at 21:07
Screamapillar wrote (see)

Dear George Osborne, were you really crying over Thatcher?

Be honest, you had a pair of tweezers hidden down there didn't you?

perhaps he was moved to tears by the service for Mrs T, perhaps he was reminded of other funerals that were more personal to him.  Funerals can get you like that.

18/04/2013 at 08:07

You're assuming George Osborne has a soul then Miffi?

Some wag in the Guardian suggested it was because he'd realised he was no longer the second most unpopular person in Britain 

Edited: 18/04/2013 at 08:09
18/04/2013 at 09:54

I am so tired of these soshul meeja campaigns trying to get people to make a spurious "look at me, I'm in with the in-crowd" gesture in "solidarity" with something or other. Usually dreamt up as a clever wheeze on Facebook or Twatter over a double espresso by a bunch of "creatives" in skinny jeans, sleeveless pullovers and oversized fake NHS glasses. And usually urged on us by someone who's not been on the forum before. A minute of so of contemplation and reflection is quite enough and more appropriate.

Edited: 18/04/2013 at 10:36
18/04/2013 at 11:41

Dear MIL - whilst I don't mind your first words when you come in being "Stick the kettle on", even though I might be doing something else, I would really appreciate it if you'd use the coasters to put your mug on. In fact it's difficult to miss the coasters as there are generally at least 3 on each table, but you somehow manage to do this. I've even watched you carefully move a coaster to one side so that you can make a nice ring on my rather expensive furniture.

The next time I will be making a similar mark on your forehead.

18/04/2013 at 12:15

Dear work colleague,

Repeating comedy sketch show catchphrases some of which that are nearly 30 years old does not make you a comedy genius but it could make me into a murderer.

Stop for both our sakes........ and because I said the word "stop" this is not your cue to say "carry on"

18/04/2013 at 12:22

oirish, you should beat him to the punchline with a "hammertime" of your own.

14,661 to 14,680 of 16,057 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.