Things you want to say but can't

A chance to get it off your chest

14,761 to 14,780 of 16,359 messages
18/05/2013 at 21:08
Miffi wrote (see)
Screamapillar wrote (see)

Why are you blaming the hotel for that poor little girl's death?

She was 5 years old FFS, why weren't you, her own family, supervising her?

+1

unless she was meant to be an a supervised kid's club or similar in which case her parents would be entitled to expect she was being properly supervised and was safe.

Agreed, Screamy. 

What I don't understand is the families who decide to go on a family holiday and book the kids in to 'day care' activities.  Surely the whole point of a family holiday is to spend quality time with your family (kids), not fire them off to some stranger and a bunch of other kids that they don't know so that you can sit by the pool in peace getting slowly baked/pissed. 

19/05/2013 at 09:05

I would have thought that too CD.

Lee the Pea    pirate
19/05/2013 at 09:46

I really, really, really don't want to do my long run today Arrrggggggggggggggggg

19/05/2013 at 10:21

I really don't want to be stuck at work for my second Sunday in a row

19/05/2013 at 17:37

Doesn't seem the poor girl was in day care, she was at the pool and the parents went for drinks.

I've booked little C into daycare for 2 hours before so Mr C and I could go to the Spa.  We don't get any babysitting at home.

19/05/2013 at 17:46

I also think sometimes its better for the kids to be in a supervised playscheme on holidays. They want to play with other kids anyway and IMHO don't always want to be around their parents.

19/05/2013 at 21:33
Crazy Diamond wrote (see)
Miffi wrote (see)
Screamapillar wrote (see)

Why are you blaming the hotel for that poor little girl's death?

She was 5 years old FFS, why weren't you, her own family, supervising her?

+1

unless she was meant to be an a supervised kid's club or similar in which case her parents would be entitled to expect she was being properly supervised and was safe.

Agreed, Screamy. 

What I don't understand is the families who decide to go on a family holiday and book the kids in to 'day care' activities.  Surely the whole point of a family holiday is to spend quality time with your family (kids), not fire them off to some stranger and a bunch of other kids that they don't know so that you can sit by the pool in peace getting slowly baked/pissed. 

or... those two weeks as a family can be difficult if you all want to do different things.  kids who dont want to site see, parents who would like to grab one evening as a couple, yes its weird to go away as a family and 'shove your kids into childcare for a fortnight'  but as Cinders and Emmy H say a good kids club is a way for your child to do kids stuff, if they want to go, while you do some of the things theyd sulk and drag their feet over.  At home how many people spend all their waking time watching their children? they can play in the garden or be up in their room with toys, or watching a dvd.  Try amusing small ones from breakfast to bedtime for 2 weeks, you'll need a holiday when you get home!

19/05/2013 at 22:02

Tory 'grass roots'  incensed over gay marriage

Church of Scotland split over the ordination of gay clergy.

What century are we living in?  

19/05/2013 at 22:16

Miffi, I always planned our family holidays around our children, not the holiday around them.  As a result we did wave jumping in France, rock pooling in Devon, cave exploring in Cornwall, Viking following in the Shetlands....the list goes on.

Children actually love to spend time with their parents, when the parents accommodate their explorative side (with some compromise by all parties).  I have four children, never had a problem with entertaining them for a fortnight of holidaying, In fact, school holidays was always my absolute favourite time, because it meant I had the best company in the world. 

19/05/2013 at 22:41

I'm delighted to hear that you are such an exemplary parent CD. 

Wave jumping in France for a fortnight sounds exhausting.  Clearly I need to up not only my parenting skills but also my stamina.

I have a friend who adores having her children around her in the school hols and is quite desolate when the new term starts.  She spends every moment of the hols doing fun creative enid blyton ish things with her kids.  As a result they dont see their school friends during the hols, never get to hang out in the park, and are turning into little mini me's of their mum and dad.  you can imagine what this does for their street cred at school.

19/05/2013 at 22:49

I was, and am, hardly desolate when my children do their own thing.  And please, do not try to condescend to me about our 'exhausting' wave jumping times in France, it was a wonderful times and of course we didn't do it for the entirety of our stay, we also visited castles, walked on beaches, built sand/mud castles, played who can throw the  stone highest/further, swam, cuddled, played, watched telly, read stuff....

Relaxing by the pool is for when the weans have moved on, everything before it passes too soon and is lost when wasted.  Kids are exhausting, that's the choice we make.

19/05/2013 at 22:53

I think that we can agree that no two families like the same holidays and some love being together the whole of the holiday, and ohers love to use the opportunity to get away from each other.

Thank ghod we are all different.  Life would be very boring otherwise.

20/05/2013 at 07:58

It didn't sound condescending to me, a fortnight of wave jumping did sound tiring!

Relaxing by the pool once they've grown up might be for you but do you get any babysitting when not on holiday?  That was our only chance!

A holiday should be something for everyone, not just the kids!

Edited: 20/05/2013 at 08:05
20/05/2013 at 10:16

No, I don't get baby sitting, I'm a single mum with four kids and no family.

20/05/2013 at 11:11

CD - I hope that when i'm a mum; I can be like you and my kids would want to do that. My niece and nephew are absolutely fantastic but given the opportunity of playing with other kids or going wave jumping with their parents; they'd much prefer to play with other kids.

20/05/2013 at 16:55

Competitive parenting that's once race I'm glad not to have entered.

From the news today they had left their 5 years old under the 15 years olds watch whilst they went to get drinks for them all.

A very sad accident.

20/05/2013 at 17:51

Another story says she was left with another little girl.  Very sad whatever happened.

K80
20/05/2013 at 18:51

Having been to Sharm on 15+ occasions I can categorically state that the pool staff are there to allocate sunbeds and tidy the pool area. No disrespect meant but they are not lifeguards.

Edited: 20/05/2013 at 18:53
20/05/2013 at 19:19

Were they hotel staff or was it a waterpark?  Most waterparks would have lifeguards whereas hotels don't as above.

K80
20/05/2013 at 19:33

My understanding is that it's a water park within a hotel. Therefore "usual" pool boy responsibilities apply. Nevertheless as a parent i never expected anyone else to look out for my child in a pool abroad -  except me.

14,761 to 14,780 of 16,359 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.