Thompson or Redgrave

Who should light the flame ?

21 to 36 of 36 messages
14/07/2012 at 19:01

Bannister only went for the 4 minute mile because he had a stinker of an olympics - he started plotting it after failing to medal at Helsinki. So maybe he would be appropriate - there's more to life than winning gold?

15/07/2012 at 01:29
Helen Liz wrote (see)

there's more to life than winning gold?

If your in the Olympics thats the whole point. You dont turn up for the goody bag!

15/07/2012 at 09:30

Helen Liz wrote (see)

Bannister only went for the 4 minute mile because he had a stinker of an olympics - he started plotting it after failing to medal at Helsinki. So maybe he would be appropriate - there's more to life than winning gold?

Stephen E Forde wrote (see)
Helen Liz wrote (see)

there's more to life than winning gold?

If your in the Olympics thats the whole point. You dont turn up for the goody bag!

More people fail at the Olympics than win medals which lends weight to Helen Liz post! i.e. Keep trying don't beat yourself up because you had a poor experience.

Edited: 15/07/2012 at 09:31
15/07/2012 at 11:55

No it doesn't

Saying there is more to life than winning gold is true, there is more to life than cornflakes and new shoes as well, but in the closed context of the Olympics no its not.

The fact that most fail just makes it even more important for those that compete.

In fact Mr B probably would never had pushed himself to run a mile in under 4 minutes if he had not failed at the Olympics. An indication of how important it is to those who fail to win.

Never be seduced by the self effacing ever so humble demeanour of many athletes. If you qualify for Team GB you have somewhere crushed someone in defeat and probably enjoyed it.

Cant say that on TV, whould though frighten the horses.

Unless your Daley

15/07/2012 at 13:56

It should be the Queen.

Its her birthday year !

16/07/2012 at 01:48
God bless her!
She might drop it though.
Her sister would have used it to light a fag.
16/07/2012 at 10:25
Slowfoot 2012 wrote (see)

Its her birthday year !

Next you'll be telling me she was born on a day ending in 'y'.

18/07/2012 at 19:30

Daley T for me.

18/07/2012 at 21:31

birkmyre - I think we'd both love it to be Steve Ovett, but I can't see it somehow !!

18/07/2012 at 22:08
I'd give it to Ovett, but that's just me being perverse.

Bannister deserved for his iconic status but unfortunately he has no Olympic pedigree.

We live in a popularist world so I doubt it'l be a big surprise to any one. So in order of preference:

1. Redgrave
2. Ainsley
3. Thompson
4. Holmes
5. Cracknell

Coe won't get it (due to his perceived position of influence), nor will Beckham (lack of Olympic background - though if he were to get it, that would say a lot about the degraded British attitude to sport). I just can't think of any UK sportsman who would get anywhere near the legendary status of Mohamed Ali, quite simply the greatest!

I'm also extremely pissed of that Ron Hill didn't even get to carry the torch.
18/07/2012 at 22:11
Ps...how about those two blokes of the 118 adverts.

And as a dark horse, David Bedford - who fails every test in my previous post.
18/07/2012 at 22:26

i hope its sir Roger, but also jessica ennis is face of the games, so could be a la kathy freeman. 

chris hoy?

wiggins if he wins tour de france could light it on one of boris's bikes?

19/07/2012 at 16:24

Mary Peters was mooted in the 'Yorkshire Post'

Mr Phil [now a fully paid up member of the sub 20 club!] wrote (see)

wiggins if he wins tour de france could light it on one of boris's bikes?

Damned good idea!!!, Britains first winner!!
Yes, I know Stephen Roche won in 1987 (& also the Giro d'Italia & World Championship), but he's Irish

19/07/2012 at 16:30

No Matthew Pinsent? - if it weren't for Redgrave he'd be lauded to the rooftops for four golds but as Redgrave has five he gets overlooked for those with one or two

20/07/2012 at 13:51

Quite like the suggestion of Bradley Wiggins. Genuine Olympic pedigree and if (when) he wins the TdF that might be a fitting way to commemorate a truly outstanding sporting achievement.

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
20/07/2012 at 13:57
Won't be Wiggo as its the night before the road race

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 36 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.