1 to 20 of 61 messages
28/06/2003 at 08:43
...here we go again...
28/06/2003 at 08:46
It can if you are a bad swimmer
28/06/2003 at 10:56
Don't go swimming in the 'cut'!
28/06/2003 at 10:56
Well - the eightx250ml is only two glasses outside my apparent resting requirement, and it says 'drink more if you run'. Duh. Doesn't seem to be a scientific equation to define 'more'.
28/06/2003 at 15:40
Yep, seems a cut and paste job from other articles (wasn't written by FLM runner Alistair Campbell was it)?

Juliejoo, as you say I was no wiser on how much water to drink when I run having read the article.
Plum    pirate
28/06/2003 at 16:21
I have read that if you are running on hot days and just taking on water your stomach stops absorbing it after a while and you need something isotonic or fruit juicy to break down the stomach wall again.
Something to do with the bodies self defense "I must save water " thingy or was this the basis of the article?
28/06/2003 at 17:28
Actually - having read it now at leisure, in the sun, with a nicely rehydrating glass of wine (iced for extra water), I have to say that it was well put together, well written and really rather sensible.

What it's advocating, basically, is the classic 'moderation in all things' approach which, if everyone followed it instead of jumping on to the latest Daily Mail bandwagon, would see us all fitter, healthier and happier.

Pass the bottle, chums...

(but yes, barnsleyoldbean, I would like to know how much is 'extra').
29/06/2003 at 00:12
there was a website that vittel did that worked out how much you would need to drink in a marathon

i cant remember what it was called, but it was advertised in the final FLM magazine this year (the one with final race instructions) - sorry but i gave mine away to somebody on one of these forums who asked if they could borrow a copy
29/06/2003 at 17:25
Shock headline my arse.

Too much water did for Leonardo de Caprio. Do these people think we've never seen Titanic or the Poseiden Adventure?
29/06/2003 at 19:36
Especially the night before.
OB
04/07/2003 at 15:42
The Brideshead Revisited star needed hospital treatment after drinking several litres - leading to a salt imbalance.

Andrews, 55, is now resting and planning to return to the stage next week for his role as Professor Higgins in the West End musical My Fair Lady.

He has missed the production at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane while being treated at a private clinic following the incident on Saturday.

It seems to have been a combination of the spell of hot weather, the fact he was drinking so much water and perspiring as well as performing so often

Penny Wesson, agent

The condition, known as hyponatraemia, is caused by the dilution of sodium in the body. It has similar symptoms to dehydration, such as headaches, nausea and cramp.

Andrews' agent, Penny Wesson, said: "It does affect you if you drink too much and perspire without replacing the salt in your system.

"He's out of the clinic now and we expect him to be back in the show in the next few days."

She added: "He's generally in very good health - you would have to be to do eight performances a week.

"It seems to have been a combination of the spell of hot weather, the fact he was drinking so much water and perspiring as well as performing so often." >

BBC

OB
04/07/2003 at 15:43
oops - the first part of that went missing!

04/07/2003 at 15:53
Dangerous stuff water...

Do agree with Juliejoo about the article. I thought it was a really good piece of journalism.
04/07/2003 at 16:05
one word

crisps
04/07/2003 at 16:31
two
more beer

please
04/07/2003 at 18:10
I've asked Amby Burfoot, the author (and editor of the US edition of Runner's World), if he'd like to come on the forum and answer any questions about it.

I was going to put an excerpt from it up onto the homepage, and invite questions.

Amby's away till the 14th, but he's very keen to get involved when he gets back.

Good, bad, indifferent idea?

Sean, RW
04/07/2003 at 18:12
Sean
Congratulations!

On your impending nuptials

Good idea, peps are fascinated by this
04/07/2003 at 18:56
Good idea. Er... my invite hasn't arrived yet. Are your wedding arrangements being handled by the British 10k organisers?
04/07/2003 at 18:57
waapster, thats naughty!
06/07/2003 at 17:31
Shucks!

Many thanks, PH. You're all warmly invited to the wedding slide show on the site afterwards ;-)

Take it easy on Rob, Oli and Artgod while I'm away...
1 to 20 of 61 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.