Top Regrets of the Dying

Thoughts?

1 to 20 of 31 messages
31/01/2012 at 17:28
How do they know such things, I mean who when watching a loved one or friend during their last moments asks a question like that.
31/01/2012 at 17:31
" I told you I was ill"
31/01/2012 at 17:32
I wish I hadn't stood on that IED...
31/01/2012 at 17:36

Yeah, I heard about that book on the radio today.Just confirms all my previous suspicions about what most folk will end up regretting later on in life.

I always used to get moaned at by my folks for being too laid back, for not being ambitious enough, for not pushing myself career-wise. And I always used to think: I bet there's not many people lying there on their death beds saying to themselves "Damn, I wish I'd spent more time at the office..."

31/01/2012 at 17:53

I have twice decided that I wasn't happy with my life and chose to make some tough decisions to improve my quality of life.  But in between those times I guess  I fell into the above category KK.  Both times the changes were inspired by the thought that I could die without ever really enjoying myself or being happy.

I think that if I was to die now my regrets would be about the things I did do (the way I have behaved in the past, and hurt people for example) rather than those I didn't.

31/01/2012 at 18:23

I never got to shag Kylie

and of course

Kylie will go to her grave knowing she missed a night with me

31/01/2012 at 18:26
There's still time Dave.  Don't give up hope.
31/01/2012 at 18:33
I'm never giving up hope of Kylie finally seeing the light (well if she plays her cards right she'll see more than the light)
31/01/2012 at 18:37
She got the injunction after "that" night at the MEN arena on the ShowGirl tour
31/01/2012 at 18:52
I know what you mean, I tend to keep FB clean (well apart from teasing Liver Gob) as lots of people including the kids read it
31/01/2012 at 19:19

I am very cautious about what I put on facebook after being burnt before so I'd rather leave it out than publish it

I've had the fortune/misfortune of having a close family member who has been very close to death more than once. She's come to accept her passing will come sooner rather than later but she very freely admits that her only regret is saving her money for a rainy day. She's got enough for her kids to inherit and there's enough for her to be comfortable now but she scrimped and saved for years and wished that she had spent a little bit more.

31/01/2012 at 21:30

I was once aksed by someone when I was 19 what I wanted - and my reply then was to be happy - I'm 52 now - and have had a lot of sh*t over the past few years some of which I have posted on here a few years back - but I can look back knowing that on the whole I have achieved (to date) what I wanted - I ran over 400 races ended up with times that compare with some of the faster blokes on here, won races, travelled abroad and all round the UK -    I married at 41, we  had our son at 43 - he is nearly 9 now - live in a way to small bungalow next to the sea - am in debt due to paying for childcare due to my wife's long term depression - but do you know what, I am still happy - I have a lovely little boy far brighter than either my wife or I am - a wife that I love dearly - I started running again after a 12 year break at the start of 2011 am fitter and lighter than I have been for years - and if something happened tomorrow - I think apart from not wanting to die tomorrow -I can say I have achieved the goal - yes I am happy!! 

31/01/2012 at 21:33
"I wish I'd had more sex" - John Betjeman.
31/01/2012 at 22:16
Funny you wrote that Johnny but I remember listening to a radio programme once and some guy had researched what people close to death regretted - that was number 1.
01/02/2012 at 07:29

I have done loads to regret and in some cases could of got me killed here are some of the highlights

Bungee Jump (superstore carpark nothing exotic)

Rode my motorcycle at over a 100 mph without a helmet at night 

Took magic mushrooms in Amsterdam / speed and exctasy in Wigan

Wheelied motorcycle naked on a rally site /Later on, rode through a camp fire with naked girl on the back

Partied with the Hells Angels at the bull dog bash and the Outlaws M/C at Ripley

Joined the Army (too many risky situations to list )

Threesome...  

I am now 44 no regrets with a little boy of two too look after and hope he never gets up to the sort of stuff i regarded as fun..

01/02/2012 at 09:35
kittenkat wrote (see)
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

I never got to shag Kylie

and of course

Kylie will go to her grave knowing she missed a night with me

For Kylie to actually know who you are Dave, you have to stalk her and she has to get an injunction. Otherwise you are just one of a million trillion 'Dave's. (No idea about the apostrophe there, where is wilkie when you need her?)

I'm helping you out here.

No apostrophe needed, KK

01/02/2012 at 13:44

No doubt people will regret not having spent more of their lives on facebook and internet forums.

01/02/2012 at 16:32
Im helping you out? That would confuse Dave's everywhere
01/02/2012 at 18:09
How about "If you really knew me you wouldn't need to ask me" or my personal favourite, the classic riposte "Je ne regrette rien."
JvR
02/02/2012 at 06:31
kittenkat wrote (see)

We all have the power to change and the realisation at certain points in our lives that we fucked up or would like to do some things differently. But who actually does?

I've made quite a few bad decisions in my life. If someone, supreme being, mad scientist, came up to me and offered me the chance to go back and tell my teenage self do things differently then it would be tempting. However, even though I could still end up with the same career, and doing the things that I enjoy and even have the same friends I know that I'd end up without the most important thing in my life. 

Fortunately this year I've finally been able to make the change in my life that I should have done a long time ago.

1 to 20 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.